Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004B w/14k mi. My headlight starting going out/getting codes p0563/b0563/b1006,b1007 and the bike would run/idle high above 2k for a few than would go down on Fri. Clr codes and same thing would happen. When I get above 2k chck eng./key light would come on and headlight would go off. Chcked voltage and nothing was above 13/all normal. Changed volt. reg. just to be on safe side and same thing. I unpluged DDM HID HL, clr codes and NOW HL stays on but cluster lights go off above 2k, as soon as you get below 2k they come on. Josephthreedogs was helping me w/this problem. According to elec. book, these codes also say chck TSSM.
Anyone have had this problem/have any advise? We are going on a ride in the AM is it ok to ride the bike?? I am not sure and neither is Josephthreedogs on what else it can be? Chkd grounds on bike. NP there. We installed a UE tank last weekend. The siren for the sec. got broke where the battery is in that thing and now my "siren" doesnt work any more, but the sec. sys. still works. Just thought I would throw that in there.
I am atta loss along w/Martin.
Also I have a PCIII. I am gonna unplug it to see if that is it. I just had the bike tuned last week and that "might" be it?

Thnx in advance.
Joe

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well... unpluged PCIII. No difference. Still doing same thing. Inst. cluster lights still go out when I hit 2K and above.....

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes bat. con. were chckd. All good. Thnx guys.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well... we were checking it by rev. up engine and holding it for awhile around 4k? And it was fine... took it on a test ride a blam-oh. Lights out again.The volts were at norm. 13. somthing..? Cant remember exactly. Sorry. Josephthreedogs might would know exact #'s?

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Sometimes a periphial attachment can go bad and cause problems elsewhere- say your siren has a lose wire and sends voltage elsewhere messing with the computer. This could be a lot of things in the electrical area...check anything that is acting funny or anything that you recently did.

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
His siren quit working, we haven't disconnected it yet. Chargin voltage runs 13.02 at 2000rpm up to 13.60 at 4000rpm. I don't see any voltage spikes that would cause this problem, the book says it has to be 16 volts for more than 4 or 5 seconds.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
One thing I just thought of. When you did the tank install did you have to remove or loosen the ground at the rear of the frame?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
His siren quit working, we haven't disconnected it yet. Chargin voltage runs 13.02 at 2000rpm up to 13.60 at 4000rpm. I don't see any voltage spikes that would cause this problem, the book says it has to be 16 volts for more than 4 or 5 seconds.
The voltage is way too low. The specs are for regulated voltage 14.5v +- .25v @1200 rpm.
I just went out and checked mine and it is charging @14.4v at 1200 rpm. I would say the next check would be a ac voltage output from the stator and look at the waveform. I have had a stator on a buell that did almost the same thing. the regulated output was just above battery voltage and slightly increased with rpms but was way low for the specs plus it constantly wiping out misc bulbs all the time.
The owner had already changed the battery and 2 regulators (he figured the first one he bought was defective) to no avail. Turned out the stator had a short on one of the stator coils. And the resistance check was very close to spec. Just a thought

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm.. well I am going to unplug the siren, and chck the TSSM to see if anything is "Loose", and unplug the MAIN fuse for a bit to see what will happen?

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
Non of these symptoms occured before you did the tank instal ? Does the headlamp went totaly out or did it just dim? This because the EU manual tells you to take the ign switch apart and there could be internal copper contact plates misplaced? ... the gauge back lights are connected to the ACC wire. when that is intermittend that gauge will act up among other things..

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually I never opened the switch housing. I had already taken the seat latch a awhile ago. So no ned to open the switch. Just plugged the extention wires in and that was it. NP at the time. The HL actually was going out. Now that is ok it is the ins. cluter lights going out above 2k rpms. Have another forum member Hal64hd coming over in the AM tom. w/test equip. and we will take it from there??

Thnx guys.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
Ok...
Well just a thought...the headlight and instrumentcluster lights are on a different fuse and on a different wire from the ign switch.. maybe put ign switch for test back on oem connector.. i had mine receptacle put beside the pin instead of over it and that created strange things... Hmm back to basic to find what went wrong. would be pretty fnucked up to see a voltage regulator or stator go bad doing a tank install .
Good luck... let us know

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah... diagnosise... STATOR :banghead: Looks like it is going to STEALERSHIP for a extended warrany. I dont/cant see putting in tank would do this. I am pretty sure to be honost. Just one of those things that happens is all. :(
Although we did find a "short"/Loose wire con. at the maxi fuse. Soldered that up. Thnx for all input/advice guys. I figured it will be about 3WKS b4 I get bike back. :barf: :barf: :bash: :mad: :spank:
Focking stealerships!! May they ALL ROT N HELL!!

Would like to thank Josephthreedogs, crazylady, Paul, & Hal64hd (Hal) for all your help w/everything!! I am 4 ever indebted to you all!! :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

Joe

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok it is offical.. I am definatly losing it. Decided to put bike back together tonight. I was very aggrevated w/it earlier today. Put it all back together and took it for a test ride. I rode it hard and fast... like my wife...lol :D for a good 20 min. or longer. NO PROBLEMS!! I am very confused. Checked for any codes and BAM!! NOTHING! I would like to "THINK" it is fixed? I honostly do not know what to say or think on the matter right now anymore......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts