Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

first, I'm a relatively new rider and I have a vrod nightrod special. This is my first bike. Excuse my vocabulary as I am not familiar with technical parts.

I was riding on the highway about 80mph and the bike suddenly started counting down the fuel. I had about a half tank in the bike, I check every time I ride. The fuel gauge started going towards empty. The miles bedew empty numbers started counting down about one mile per sec. I knew I had gas, but I slowed down to about 55. Then the bike sputtered, the pipes made the backfire sound, the rpm gauge went to 0, the miles per hour gauge went to zero. I Was still going about 55. As soon the gauges went to 0, they went back up to normal, including the fuel gauge.

The bike felt like it was braking automatically for a second. I thought it was bad gas, so I made it slowly to a gas station and refilled. Got back on the bike. Rode carefully home. I was going about 25 and it did it again. This time the bike shut off. I pulled over. Restarted. Let it run at idle for a minute. It was fine. Rode home going about 10mph. It would randomly sputter.

I just was at Harley changing the levers to black. Harley mechanics did the work. They also changed my foot pegs. All parts were Harley parts.

Any help would be appreciated. Again, sorry for the lack of technical vocabulary. Thanks

Amar
2008 nightrod

·
revolt on
44 Posts
take off the black levers dude... must be earthing out on the kill switch....

·
Born to be mild
202 Posts
Check that the electrical ground connections are solid and both the positive and negative terminals at at he batteryare tight.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Yes, the grounds to the engine are known for coming lose, common sense to check battery terminals, and entirely possible the wiring around the kill switch was disturbed or damaged while changing the levers.

If it does it again, whip in the clutch, then it won't slow so fast, so you can park it safely.

The fuel gauge in these bikes is notoriously flaky - a running joke. Don't rely on it, and don't assume, if it misbehaves, that it is part of the problem.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Checking for codes isn't going to tell him anything that he doesn't already know in this case.

Start w the easy most common stuff,like the battery connections at both ends.Check all the ground wires.If these are ok,check the charging voltage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts