Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I put a deposit on a 2011 nightrod special, i really liked the way it looks, but a lot of people are coursing me to other models, because they said its not a good bike for me..

I am 5'9" 30 inseam and when i tried ride it feels awkward and had a hard time turning. Foot control especially the shifter is where i am having trouble pulling up.

I used to have an old school 1976 Honda 750cc SS and loved it till i sold it years back. Now i really wanted a Harley but still wanted it on the sporty side. Most of the people I spoke to wants me to go cruiser or wide glide.

My dilemna is now i have a deposit and got approved on the nightrod, i really dont want to go another way, but they said i might fall because nightrod have problems turning.

I really need help from you guys who are more experienced

thanks

[email protected]

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc.com .. Shouldnt be any issues with turning other than the 240 tire takes a little more work but again shouldnt be a problem. Shifter can be adjusted easily for your foot or boots or you can install forward reach controls if this is a problem....
Who is "they" that are trying to dissuade from buying this bike ???? Let me guess - Airheads !!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2011 nightrod special

Welcome to 1130cc.com .. Shouldnt be any issues with turning other than the 240 tire takes a little more work but again shouldnt be a problem. Shifter can be adjusted easily for your foot or boots or you can install forward reach controls if this is a problem....
Who is "they" that are trying to dissuade from buying this bike ???? Let me guess - Airheads !!!
you got it right, "airheads" anyway what can i do on the pedals and handle bar

tirbrokersf

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am 5'7 and been riding a 2007 VRSCDX without any problem for 3 years now without any problem but there is reduced reached handle bar and brake/shift kit from HD that can help you ride more comfortable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as we speak, i got off the phone with the dealer and they said its only an inch backwards, and they have an reduced reach handle bar but they said i also need a seat? is that true?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and have no issues with the bike at all. The forward controls take a couple of rides to get used to and that's only getting used to putting your feet in front of you once you take off. Turning should be no problem at all.

You can add a Sundown seat. It's actually pretty reasonably priced for an "upgraded" seat especially considering it comes from HD. That adds a lot of comfort and moves you up an inch which will be more than enough reachwise.

I say stop listening to other people's opinion because that's all it is - their opinion. Sure THEY might prefer to buy another bike but that doesn't mean that they should try talking you into what THEY would do. I never understand it when people do that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
IMHO, I think you should get it and then decide what changes you want to make. I bought a lot of accessories at time of purchase and have since changed them all to something different. Buy it and ride it before making any changes.

You may decide to get a different seat, but I would try the reduced reach foot controls first and maybe the reduced reach bars. If you still have trouble then look at seats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you guys are awesome now im back to 99 % buying the bike i like, nice to have checked this forum coz im at a lost
any other suggestions is highly appreciated and hopefully i can meet u guys in the future
tirebrokersf

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm 5'8" and have extended reach bars on my 2007 DX. Same seat works fine for me. You can get the reach seat as well though. This is my first bike that I've owned and have no problems with turning. Actually when I ride the air heads with the skinny tires it feels weird. Love my bike!:vrod:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm 5'8" and have extended reach bars on my 2007 DX. Same seat works fine for me. You can get the reach seat as well though. This is my first bike that I've owned and have no problems with turning. Actually when I ride the air heads with the skinny tires it feels weird. Love my bike!:vrod:
thanks for the info black thunder, i feel good now buying the bike i like after all ur suggestions

tirebrokersf

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Welcome! You can mod all of those things to make it fit you perfectly. Enjoy! Joe

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm 5'8" and I ran with the stock setup with no problems. It was actually more comfortable to me than my A model which has a lot more pull back. I'm going to drag bars now and it is still comfortable to me. Basically everyone has a preferred riding position and thanks to different bars, different seat setups, and different control locations you can make the bike fit you. Ride safe and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Floor boards are another option. I had a problem with leg spasms and had trouble keeping my left foot on the peg. I switched to adjustable Iso boards and problem solved, which gave me the ability to move my leg positions. I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam.

·
Registered
367 Posts
+1 to everyone's replies. I'm also 5'9" with a 30" inseam. The NRS took some getting used to for me but was due to my change in bikes. My old bike was a sport bike....2004 Yamaha R1. Different ride, cornering, feel, etc so that was my issue. The NRS was heavier, longer, wider tire, etc.

Go slow for the first few miles and get a feel for the bike and handling. It will grow on you as much as your smile will from riding it. If it still needs adjustments to fit you better there are endless bar, foot controls, and seat options to make the bike fit you.

By the way, I'm running stock bars and foot controls.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the awesome bike!

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
There is also a Reach Seat which will push you a little bit further forward and is not as wide as the stock or sundowner seat. The seat with the reach foot controls can shave 2+" off the length.

Some people also put on either the black sporty bars or the stock D bars to allow them a little more room in the arm length.

There are also mods to make the DX mid controlled or you can purchase the parts from a D and make the bike mid controlled. I think the parts off a D look the cleanest when modding a DX to mids.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Before making changes, just ride the bike for a while! 'They' have tried to sell me all above. And still didn't make any adjustments regarding the riding position.

·
Registered
80 Posts
to the OP: I am only 5'2", 27 inseam and yes, my little leggies couldnt reach the peggies. Thats been my gripe w/ HD for years. I was not deterred. It was love at first site and ordered it yesterday. Mid control conversion kit (I'd rather have my feet under me anyway) sealed the deal. Enjoy your bike as I am sure I will mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
+1 to everyone's replies. I'm also 5'9" with a 30" inseam. The NRS took some getting used to for me but was due to my change in bikes. My old bike was a sport bike....2004 Yamaha R1. Different ride, cornering, feel, etc so that was my issue. The NRS was heavier, longer, wider tire, etc.

Go slow for the first few miles and get a feel for the bike and handling. It will grow on you as much as your smile will from riding it. If it still needs adjustments to fit you better there are endless bar, foot controls, and seat options to make the bike fit you.

By the way, I'm running stock bars and foot controls.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the awesome bike!
thanks i might have to do that til now bike is still in dealership wanted to to install abs hope its a great help

1 - 20 of 34 Posts