Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

So I love my NRS. I've had it for three years, and have had a great time with it.

But over that period, my life has gone through a lot of changes. Namely: my overhead has increased while my income has decreased.

I still have about two years left on my NRS. It's a 2008. I owe about 11k on it still. The blue book puts it at just under $13K retail, and just under $10k trade in.

I'm financed through HD.

Any suggestions? My payments are like $550 a month.

I was thinking of "trading" for a sportster if I could get the payments down to between $200 and $300 a month. I'd also be interested in a BMW.

Tomorrow I was going to swing by a few dealerships to see what their thoughts were but I'd like to be "equipped" with some knowledge first.

My #1 priority is getting my payments down, which means I guess that I really could try and sell it on the private market, and maybe come out a $500-$1000 ahead. But I have an hunch that folks who will drop that kind of cash on a used bike, generally want it from a dealer.

Anyone have any experience working with BMW (I'd like a dual sport I think, something rugged) or non-HD dealers on HD trade-ins?

I'd be happy with a $5k sportster too.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about keeping it and refinancing it, do you really think you'll be happy with a sportster? i wouldn't be.
I do think I would be.

I really had my fun on the NRS: I raced it, I tricked it out.

Now, 95% of my riding is an hour-each-way open highway commute, so I'm starting to pile on the miles on a relatively expensive machine, but am rarely breaking 6krpm.

At this point, I don't want to not have a bike, but I really would like something that gets better gas mileage, and is cheaper. I can always pickup a sportsbike later.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
If trade in is 10, and you owe 11, they add that to the price of the new bike. No problem. Go trade it in on the sporty you want. I would get an 883, bottom of the line, cheapest one they got. cut your payments in half, and when you get stable, spend 600 on the 1200 kit, and hop it up. If things change, find a used VROD, and make it how you want. Meanwhile a sporty or a Buell makes 45 - 55 MPG. 550 is steep! Good luck! Joe

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
refinance and keep trying to sell it, unless the dealer can get you a good deal on trade and purchase of something else.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I wouldn't go for a Sportster , I think you'll be sorely disappointed after the V-Rod.I'm biased because I have one , but I think a BMW 1150GS would be your best bet for the following reasons:
Reliable as hell
Easy to service - valve lash is a 15 minute job
50 mpg even when doing 80mph on a 40 mile commute
At least a 200 mile tank range between fill ups
Spares are plentiful and cheap
You can mod it to your hearts content as funds allow

They replaced the 1150 with the 1200 in 2004 so it'll be an older bike but I wouldn't let that worry you. Avoid an 1150 with the Servo Brakes and don't touch the 1200 with a bargepole , its far too unreliable with its complicated electronics.

As they are older models there aren't too many around in dealers but you might like to post in the Adventure Riders forum
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3
Those guys would be able to help with the specifics on BMW dealers.

Edit - there's this one in Alberqueque
http://preowned.sandiabmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/view/322
But I think that price is top dollar - more than we'd pay in the UK anyway!

Regards

Steve

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Keep the NRS if you can, all the finance charges and new taxes on a new bike would defeat your purpose no?

Curious, You stated you've had the bike 3 years, still owe 11K and your payments are $550? The math just ain't right, in 3 years you have paid almost $20K. Unless you have some ungodly interest rate , and even then these numbers are odd. In 5 years you would have paid $33K for a 17k bike.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
i was having the same math problem. doesn't add up to $550 payments/month

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Sell it and don't get anything else. Based on your payment you must be in the 25% to 30% interest range, throwing away half of your money with every payment is insane.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Im in the same boat, paid too much for the bike....Still owe quite a bit, now its almost 3 years old and not worth crap so im stuck with it.

I might dress it up put it in the dupont registry for a month or two and try to get somebody on a impulse buy lol

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
what i find most disturbing about people in this situation is that it seems as if they are the one who always have a lot of mods. Why in the world would yiu use money for mods when your paying interest on a bike loan. Use that money to pay off the loan first.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
what i find most disturbing about people in this situation is that it seems as if they are the one who always have a lot of mods. Why in the world would yiu use money for mods when your paying interest on a bike loan. Use that money to pay off the loan first.

:them: :deal: :plause:

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Refinance the thing and keep it, that would be my first choice. Nothing else you are going to buy will last longer or be more reliable for that commute, so why change?
Second, if you do sell it, I would find a left over Buell Ulysses. Nothing is simpler to maintain, fabulous seat, comfy to ride, plenty fast. The new BMW's are more complex to maintain, particularly the drive line, and they don't tell you what is wrong with them like our bikes do. No way to pull DTC's off the flat screen on the BMW, a particular gripe of mine.

·
crashing sucks!
136 Posts
Refinance the thing and keep it, that would be my first choice. Nothing else you are going to buy will last longer or be more reliable for that commute, so why change?
Second, if you do sell it, I would find a left over Buell Ulysses. Nothing is simpler to maintain, fabulous seat, comfy to ride, plenty fast. The new BMW's are more complex to maintain, particularly the drive line, and they don't tell you what is wrong with them like our bikes do. No way to pull DTC's off the flat screen on the BMW, a particular gripe of mine.
:them:

·
Banned
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're right, the numbers don't add up.

The be honest, when I was making more money, I didn't really pay attention. I could easily afford the payment. It'd be paid off in five years. Done.

The interest is 8.5% I think.

So looking at an old paper statement, in august I paid $500.00 (I was ahead on payments at the time) and the paper statement said $396.00 went to princible, $103.45 went to interest!

For September I did a payment of $300 and it said $97 went to interest!

WTF!

And ideas?

Edit: I paid $14.8k for the bike when they were listed at 16something. I added on a service plan (2k) which I haven't regretted one bit. The real killer was that it was off of a trade on another bike that I owed about $18k total on. Yeah, stupid decisions compound, but at the time I was 21, and making more money than I knew what to do with. All in the all the final bill ended up being about 22k @ 8.9% interest.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
So what you are saying is buy the bike then do mods? Really??? How can you even suggest that? Either you do not have the bug or you are an accountant. I pay a note on my bike and also do mods on mine. If I lost my job tomorrow, I would be faced with a similar dilemma as would most red-blooded americans! Why do you find it disturbing? Do you really think people pay off their bikes then start the modding? :banghead:

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Do you really think people pay off their bikes then start the modding? :banghead:
:them: That aint gonna happen... When times are good and money is flowing - the last thing on most peoples minds is the monthly payments. Just look at the Housing industry... :paper:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
@ 550 a month,you pay 6600 a year.6600 a year x's 5 years you pay 33,000,just like everyone else that finances a motorcycle with Harley.
They might tell you the loan is 3%,like my 07 is,but the silly bastards compound the interest by the day,not by the year.
If it was compounded by the year,like how we get paid on our interest dividends,then you would only pay 540 a year in interest on an 18,000 dollar note @ 3%.

No one buys a Harley,or a boat for fuel mileage.
From the way you say you are looking at a bike for gas mileage,you are struggling w these motorcycles payments.
Your best bet is to refi w a bank,or a credit union,or find someone to take over the payments and just get out of the mess you are in.
If you aren't struggling,then double the payments and make sure to stipulate,in writing that the second payment each month is to go on the top,not as a double payment.If you do not tell them in writing what you want done,they will not put the extra towards the principle on purpose.
I make double payments on my 07,it's the only way I can afford it.I hold the certificate of title with my name on the others.My wifes car is @ 0% for the life of the note through Ford credit.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts