Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at Progressive 440's 12" & 11.5" shocks. In their technical specs guide the following "Rate" in LBS/IN are listed:

Progressive has two 11.5" shocks

11.5" - Rate: 230/275
11.5" - Rate: 300/350

12" shock - Rate: 115/155

I know that a shock that is Rated at 100 LBS/IN means that for every 100 lbs. exerted on the spring the spring compresses 1". But what are the two numbers above mean?

And, if I'm looking to lower my V why does Progressive's install guide only list the 12" spring as the shortest spring they advise V-Rods to go?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Progressive springs are just that, progressive. The first number is a full extension, the last is it full compression. To go another 1/2" you need a lot more lb's / sq. in. to keep the rear from bottoming out on even the slightest bump. 12" is as low as I would go and still ride the bike reasonably. 11.5's at 230/275 will feel a lot like a rigid......

If you want the slammed look and a ridable bike they you need air shocks IMHO.

·
Scott
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mjw930 said:
Progressive springs are just that, progressive. The first number is a full extension, the last is it full compression. To go another 1/2" you need a lot more lb's / sq. in. to keep the rear from bottoming out on even the slightest bump. 12" is as low as I would go and still ride the bike reasonably. 11.5's at 230/275 will feel a lot like a rigid......

If you want the slammed look and a ridable bike they you need air shocks IMHO.
Thanks MJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts