Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: I own a 2008 VRSCDX, and have another 2009 VRSCDX in my garage next to mine that a buddy owns. I have worked on bikes for years, and was helping a friend out who has a non V-rod.

Ok first the bike is a 2002 GSX-R, second been riding Hatrley's since I was 9 and 33 now. Also I do major work on bikes, but not crouch rockets so much. This bike is a friends, who needed these two things done.

Next the things done were and oil/oil filter change, and new spark plugs.

After the new spark plugs were in, and airbox all back on, I started on the oil, drained and oil filter replaced. New oil put in, and cleaned bike up where it needed it from oil drop drips.

Backed bike out of garage, started it up without any of the fenders/body pieces on it, and let run for 10-15 min. to burn any oil drops on the exhaust off.

NOW THE ISSUE...

I put the rear, and side fenders back on. And then the front fender and hooked everything back up. AKA two turn signal connectors and the three others that go to the gauges. One was a gray one, easy as it was the only style connector, the other two were the same style, but was only able to connect one way as there was not enough slack to flip and connect the other way.

The bike will not start now, and the main gauge does not light up. The main headlight does come on, and if high/low beam switch is used it does change the beam direction and a high beam indicator does come on.

Turn signals also do not work.

The fact the main head light comes on when the key is turned tells me it's not the battery, so I have no clue what is doing this.

I also disconnected everything, as it was when running before, and now it does not start that way either, nor does it make any electrical sound when the key is turned to on and the on switch is used.

What am I missing in regards to this????

Help please, friend wants to pick up tomorrow mid day.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Did you plug the Plugs back in with the battery still connected to the bike . If so that a no-no and might have either caused a blown fuse or a problem with the ECM. I would check all the fuses 1st. Then with everything connected , disconnect the batterys neg let it sit for 10min or so and reconnect , this might reset the ECM .

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you plug the Plugs back in with the battery still connected to the bike . If so that a no-no and might have either caused a blown fuse or a problem with the ECM. I would check all the fuses 1st. Then with everything connected , disconnect the batterys neg let it sit for 10min or so and reconnect , this might reset the ECM .
I did, I will disconnect the batt. and let sit, then try again 20 min. later. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Most likely blew a fuse! Telling us "won't start" is too vague, need to know things like engine spins but won't fire or just a loud click but no spin. Etc.
Sounds like a simple fix, don't you like having to take so much apart for basic stuff!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't think you even need the guages hooked up to start it. I've had several Suzuki sportbikes including an 04 gsxr right now and you can start it without the guages. It's fuel injected correct? Can you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key? I know this may sound obvious but make sure the kill switch on the right is in the RUN position.

Also are you pulling in the clutch lever when trying to start it? There's a safety switch on the clutch lever. Make sure it's not in gear and the kick stand down. Another safety switch there. Just throwing some things out there to check.

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think you even need the guages hooked up to start it. No you don't, ran it for 20 min. after oil change as such (no gauges hooked up) to burn off any oil drips I missed. I've had several Suzuki sportbikes including an 04 gsxr right now and you can start it without the guages. It's fuel injected correct? Can you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key? No nothing makes any noise, no pre noise before starting. I know this may sound obvious but make sure the kill switch on the right is in the RUN position. It is when I try to start.

Also are you pulling in the clutch lever when trying to start it? Yes I am, with it in neutral. There's a safety switch on the clutch lever. Make sure it's not in gear and the kick stand down. It is Another safety switch there. Just throwing some things out there to check.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Consider this. It worked before you took it apart and it does not now? Right? Well you probably just did something wrong.

Take a step back and check the parts that you are "sure" are right.

I know when I finally find my problem it was usually in the part I "knew" was right, so I kept skipping that and not checking it.

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes quickly finds the obvious error.

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Consider this. It worked before you took it apart and it does not now? Right? Well you probably just did something wrong.

Take a step back and check the parts that you are "sure" are right.

I know when I finally find my problem it was usually in the part I "knew" was right, so I kept skipping that and not checking it.

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes quickly finds the obvious error.
Yep this is true, so got a good night sleep and half day off of work. And this is what I find.

First while checking the bike, same issue. So I took the fuse box cover off to check the fuses, and low and behold one was bad. So I guess being tired and it dark in the garage that is not the best time to check fuses.

So replaced, and all electrical is fine fine. Gauges work and bike TRIES to start.

I have a video I made, and will host it to my Photobucket and then come back in here to post it. So you all can see what the bike is now doing. If it's not one thing it's something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts