Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a vrod but I need some help choosing.

I now ride an 04 Deuce that is lowered and has forward controls with drag bars far enough back that I dont have to lean forward. I like the way it sits.

Here's the deal. I sat on a street rod the other day and it felt like I was going to fall over the front wheel. Like a sport bike. My question is which model will give me the closest sit, stance and ride that my Deuce has. Low seat, bars back to me and legs stretched out but not too far. I have a 29 inseam and 28 sleeves if that helps any. I want to sit in it not on it. Thanks for any hellp I may recieve.
big

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Every model except the Street Rod and Night Rod (not night rod special) will give you the stance you're looking for. Bars can be changed pretty easily on all of them except the Muscle too. I think an AW (V-Rod)or DX (Nightrod Special) is what you're looking for.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
The Street Rod has mid controls, longer rear shocks (for more cornering clearance) and inverted front forks. That is obviously not the bike for you.

All of the other A, B, C, and F models have forward controls except for the VRSCD Night Rod which also has mid controls.

So, you can rule out the Street Rod and the Night Rod for starters. I've never ridden an F model (Muscle), so I don't know if it sits higher or lower than the others, nor have I ridden any of the wide-framed models. But I'm very happy with the riding position and seat height of my VRSCSE2 (Screamin Eagle). The high-mounted tachometer makes it seem like I'm in the bike more than the standard models.

Learn more.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
A or AW, have the most seating relaxed position as stock.
With any others you would have to install different bars as all the other models have bars that aren't as far back.
I agree,I put tha A bars on my dx,with a 29" inseam you might find it a bit of a stretch to the forwards,I did, so modded them to suit, pics in my gallery

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for your responses. There is a low mileage bright yellow 06 here for sale at 7500 out the door and I would have rode it home had it not had the funky stance and unbearable back leaning mids.
Just to clarify, I don't really car if the bike has mids but not the angle the Street rod has. Not many used ones around here to look at so I am trusting in your knowlege. TIA
big

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Yea the "Street Rod" & the "Night Rod" have mid controls. The Night Rod "SPECIAL" (NRS) has foward controls, along with every other VRSC VROD model. Those are the ones you what you wanna ride.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have both an vrsc a and b. i have a 30 inch inseam. i have a stock seat and a reduced reach seat, also of course the handle bars are farther back on the a, the reduced reach seat moves u up and is alot more comfy even if they look the same, so i recomend the vrsca with the reduced reach seat, plus u can lower it an inch in the back for about 50 buck with lowering blocks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have both an vrsc a and b. i have a 30 inch inseam. i have a stock seat and a reduced reach seat, also of course the handle bars are farther back on the a, the reduced reach seat moves u up and is alot more comfy even if they look the same, so i recomend the vrsca with the reduced reach seat, plus u can lower it an inch in the back for about 50 buck with lowering blocks
Why the a over the b??

·
EXCELSIOR
8,493 Posts
Why the a over the b??
The handle bars come back farther on the A and AW ( A with wide rear tire) than any other model. Next are the B and any others that use those bars, I think the D, SE and CX, the DX uses the even lower rise Street Rod bars which which will pull you more forward.
The Street Rod sits higher by 2" than any other model has steeper steering geometry, mid mount pegs and lower handlebars.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,493 Posts
Okay, thanks. Can the bars be changed on the B ? Something like stock deuce bars or sportster bars?
Yes, the B uses clamp on bars, the A uses a welded "T" bar.
Actually I replaced my stock B bars with the Black painted Nightster bars. Same width but about 3/4" more back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts