Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my brand new 08NRS. The second time (I only made 2 rides up to now) there are the remains of a sticky and oily fluid on the heat shield of the exhaust (the area where the 2 parallel barrel starts), at the bottom of the gas tank, at the swing arm and the rear brake sattle.

The rear brake line, that is tapped together with an electric line and a kind of mesh tube (seams to be a kind of venting hose?) is covered to. The stuff does not fade away alone, so I assume it can not be cooling liquid.

Pictures will follow.

I really would appreciate to get you help on this issue. :notworth:

Best regards

Joerg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake Line

Man, that would be the worst case scenario. I will check it immediatelly.

How did youre dealer react? Brake fluid serious harm every painted area.....

·
fire up !
700 Posts
i seriously hope it does not apply to your bike ...
IF this appears to be true then it's a serious safety issue; i can't help you with the 08DX since i don't own one so maybe best to pm the member who posted it ? and yes, brake fluid is known for messing up coatings/metals ... cooling liquid tends to leave white marks/stains
good luck and maybe you could post some results here ?

ps1 : could there be a possibility that what you've found are in fact the remainders of a spill caused by the dealer during pre-delivery preparation ?
ps2 : do you have ABS on your bike ?
thx & grtz

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just came from my bike storage. Seams to be I have the same brake line heat problem. After 180 km with the bike, the line is nearly molten away.:barf:

Yeah it is an ABS model.

Kind regards

Joerg

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Joergmcf said:
I just came from my bike storage. Seams to be I have the same brake line heat problem. After 180 km with the bike, the line is nearly molten away.:barf:

Yeah it is an ABS model.

Kind regards

Joerg
well, i guess this makes it a genuine safety issue from the hazardous kind then since you're at least the second owner of a 08DX-ABS who reported as such on this forum... i'm not looking to start any hysteria here but this could result in some serious accidents
i posted the link here in the DX section some days ago to put out the warning and to seek for feedback but got zero responses although there are quite a few fellow forum members who own a 08DX (but then maybe other 08 models could be at risk also ?)
i'm very interested in your dealer's assessment and most probably your German importer will be called in also
thx !

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I'm telling you that the line is not the only problem with Harley rear brakes from 2000 and up.All 3 of my late model Harleys have none to very little braking capabilitys in the rear.The 07 rear master couldn't make enough pressure at the switch to complete the circuit and light up the brake light.
Never trust the rear brakes on a Harley,they are there for looks only!

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
fire up !
700 Posts
i agree 100% Elrod but now we're talking about melting brake lines, loosing all brake fluid resulting in ZERO braking
last time when i was in the middle of a descend in the Alps - on my roadking - i suddenly had zero rear brake too, it never leaked, fairly new but well broken in pads but the pedal just went all the way down ... like i was, scared the hell out of me
i won't even bother telling about the brake power on my '94 Heritage...

and now that we have smashing Brembo's on our V_Rod's we read this :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
my 2012 night rod special with mid mount controls. has just come back from the stealer ship and i have been told that the rear brake master cylinder is shot.They want $186 australian dollars just for the parts and another $135 for labour maybe more.
Is there a cheaper way out for me. Livein Adelaide Australia. ANYONE HELP out please

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
my 2012 night rod special with mid mount controls. has just come back from the stealer ship and i have been told that the rear brake master cylinder is shot.They want $186 australian dollars just for the parts and another $135 for labour maybe more.
Is there a cheaper way out for me. Livein Adelaide Australia. ANYONE HELP out please
Purchase a master cylinder rebuild kit and do it yourself. You will need to identify what brand master cylinder it is... or just ebay a used one, but no guarantees that way.

·
VRSCDXA Owner
459 Posts
Just saw this on ebay, may help you out.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Davidson-Night-Rod-V-Rod-Fusbrems-Mastercylinder-1089-/181534864464?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item2a44523450#shpCntId

·
VRSCDXA Owner
459 Posts
I searched the parts manual for the VRSCDA 2008 with and without ABS and came up with the following. I'm pretty sure its the same parts.

MASTER CYLINDER KIT
Part No: 42868-06
HD / HL £20.19

Item number 17.

http://www.jerseyh-d.com/Components.aspx?model=VRSCA&year=2008&part=4573

1 - 13 of 13 Posts