Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well it all started last week after I internally wired my drag bars. I know it has to deal with the front brake lever. I have it seated all the way against the grip/thumb controls but it's not pushing in that button enough to turn off the brake light. How can I fix this? Is there a spacer or something that may have fallen out that I missed? PLEASE help cause I'm basically parked until I can fix this cause I dont want to get ran over :banghead:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
There is a rubber bit with a nipple under the end there, It is easy to knock off. I did this a couple of years ago - despite having changed that lever 20 times I was in a hurry and forgot... Still works fine.

Try pushing everything really close. If that doesn't work syick a bit of paper where the nipple should be (so you can ride) and order a new part,,,,Or scoure the floor...

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
There is a brass "spring" that holds the brake light switch and lever tight. It looks like a little gold piece of metal bent in half. I bet you a chicken sammich that is is either crushed flat or laying on your garage floor.

Part number 5 in the diagram...

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bet I lost that "spring" somehow cause I can take the lever off and push it in with my finger to make the light go off but I have to press it in all the way. I'll be sweeping the floor this evening and sifting through the trash and probably on my hands and knees :( Trying to make it to the local bike night and my wife is wanting to ride again (first time in 2-3 years) and I dont want any reason to get run over!!!

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
If you cant find it, take a piece of metal, bend it and stick it in there. It should be spring steel but anything to take up the space will keep your light off. Maybe even a wad of cardboard...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to make sure I'm picturing this right this spring goes inside that houseing behind the rod that is held in by the rubber nipple right?

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Just to make sure I'm picturing this right this spring goes inside that houseing behind the rod that is held in by the rubber nipple right?
Post #3 has a picture of the spring It's item #5. It fits behind the switch. Looks like a ""V"

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I took it apart and the brass spring is still there. It's like the little nipple has to be pressed way in/too far before it turns the light off. I'm clueless at the moment. I have some body molding (two pieces thick) tape stuck to the lever to push it in enough. Working for now but not a permanent fix that I'm comfortable with.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
If I have the mental image right it isn't the spring, there is a little metal nipple on the outside of the boot. Which will be on the floor... Your bodge is probably OK. Mine works with nothing (lucky). I think you have to buy the damn switch for a real fix. Next time, stick a bit of cardboard over then end before dismantling.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think your right Louis. I'll have to check the shop floor a little more carefully but knowing my luck I probably lost it in the yard when I done my handlebar swap a week prior and just noticed the brake light after I wired my bars :(

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
The end of the plunger has a plastic cap on it. Its a bugger to pull off and nearly impossible to loose...but may be mashed.

I took a spill on the right side and the weight of the bike falling mashed this plastic tip effectively making the piston assembly shorter...

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Not sure about the v-Rod,but when the brake light switch gets broken on other style Harley's,a nickel glued to the lever will take up the slop and keep the light off.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Another thought...when I tore mine apart there was corrosion inside the cylinder.

There is a spring inside the cylinder that returns the piston and the lever. The corrosion did not allow the piston to return fully and did not turn off the light.

You may want to ensure that your piston is returning fully. A master cylinder rebuild kit is not expensive nor difficult. You just pull it out and press it in...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally took a dab of jb weld. I guess I somehow lost the cap or something but it works perfect now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts