Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 VRSCF and had the rear tire replaced with 2400 miles because of a broken belt at the bead, the dealer put a dunlop on and did not ask if I wanted something different. Well now I need a new front and did not like the dunlop very much so I am wondering if it will be ok to run a different brand tire on the front? Also the dealer quoted me $280 for a front dunlop installed? Not sure if there is someplace that I can get a better price on a front tire or not? Can anyone tell me what they run on the front, and a site to get a good front tire?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
i love my Pirelli Nightdragons !!!! HEAPS better than the factory Dunlops ..... and for America that does sound expensive for a front !!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
dude, buy a tire online and change it yourself. It's not difficult. Take the stick on weights off and use Dynabeads. Put the $ into a good tire and ,|,, the stealer. They'd probably screw it up anyway. JMO

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
I have a 2009 VRSCF and had the rear tire replaced with 2400 miles because of a broken belt at the bead, the dealer put a dunlop on and did not ask if I wanted something different. Well now I need a new front and did not like the dunlop very much so I am wondering if it will be ok to run a different brand tire on the front? Also the dealer quoted me $280 for a front dunlop installed? Not sure if there is someplace that I can get a better price on a front tire or not? Can anyone tell me what they run on the front, and a site to get a good front tire?
Thanks
The stock tires for HD is now Michelin but it's a Michelin built to HD specs so I'm wondering just how well built it is. Metzler 880 is a great tire front's run $150 rear $250. They have great gripping power and wear very well.

·
Good Muthafarka
11,223 Posts
dude, buy a tire online and change it yourself. It's not difficult. Take the stick on weights off and use Dynabeads. Put the $ into a good tire and ,|,, the stealer. They'd probably screw it up anyway. JMO
Fuc that.....so when it goes pear shaped you can yell and scream at someone else !!!! hahahaha

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
I buy my tires online and have a local motosport dealer install and balance them for $25 each. The dealer I use sells every bike known to man except the Harley. Simple tasks such as tire changing is a no brainer to them. I do have to remove the tire form the bike however and Re- install it later however.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Great tire pricing

American Motorcycle tire .com front me880 metzlers are $135.00 shipped and the 280x35x18 is $272.00 free shipping on both or only if you buy one thats the lowest price I found-Noel

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
Just a Thought

American Motorcycle tire .com front me880 metzlers are $135.00 shipped and the 280x35x18 is $272.00 free shipping on both or only if you buy one thats the lowest price I found-Noel
Be careful buying tires online. You'll find that these great prices you find, do come with a catch. You can't look at the DOT stamp aka manufacturing date till you receive the tire. In most cases low prices = old stock. I've seen tires at places like Sears and Sam's Club and even Michelin dealers with great prices and the tires are 5+ years old. The DOT stamp right now should be at least 2412 the first 2 numbers "24" is the week or June. The second 2 numbers "12" is the year or 2012. I would never buy a tire that's older then a year for a motorcycle. You need all the elasticity you can get for these bikes. I was fortunate when I replaced my tires last year the tires were 3 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Be careful buying tires online. You'll find that these great prices you find, do come with a catch. You can't look at the DOT stamp aka manufacturing date till you receive the tire. In most cases low prices = old stock. I've seen tires at places like Sears and Sam's Club and even Michelin dealers with great prices and the tires are 5+ years old. The DOT stamp right now should be at least 2412 the first 2 numbers "24" is the week or June. The second 2 numbers "12" is the year or 2012. I would never buy a tire that's older then a year for a motorcycle. You need all the elasticity you can get for these bikes. I was fortunate when I replaced my tires last year the tires were 3 weeks old.
Thank you I forgot about that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of Dennis Kirk for the tire! Does anyone have a promo code! The metzler is just under 150 shipped for the front

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with Dennis Kirk and got the Dunlop D208F 120/70ZR-19 for 162.09 shipped to my door. I have a local person installing it for $50. I went with the Dunlop just to have the same tires on the front and rear. I will be looking for something different when it is time to replace them at the end of the summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts