Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I removed the rear seat exposing the 6 hex bolts holding the rear fender in place. Removed the 6 hex bolts, unplugged the fuse box thing underneath the rear seat... specificaly, there were two connections that needed to be unplugged, one for the rear brake light, and I guess the other was for the blinkers?

Anyway, I screwed the lightbulb socket end (no bulb, it was wires filled with some kind of clear solid gel) into the rear brake light receptacle and then inserted that into the LED rear integrator....

I used scissors to cut the stock purple and black wires that go to the blinkers and I also simply cut the gray wires that go to the rear plate white lights.

I spliced the yellow wires from the integrator to the corresponding positive purple wires... my brake light works when the hand brake and foot brake is applied.

Both turn signals work as well.

-------------------------------

Here's the problem:

-------------------------------

First... when the bike is running, is the rear brake light supposed to be slightly dim/lit? Mine is not.

The brake light and blinker feature work fine otherwise... and blink normal speed. I did NOT use the included resistors.

Second... here's the major problem... my headlight now doesnt work!!!!

My gauges are illuminated, but my headlight doesnt work whether its on high or low beam... no headlight at all!

-----------------------------------

What did I F*** up?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This being my first integration... I didnt know what I was doing... before I cut the stock wires... looking for which was the postive wire, I took the exposed end of each yellow wire and gently pushed it into the connector housing that holds several wires just testing to see which one's I needed to use... I got a couple sparks... Think I maybe blew a fuse? But why would that affect the head light power?

·
George
5,411 Posts
Good place to start!

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
headlight and tail light are on the same fuse (LIGHTS)... go look for it. The brake light and turn signals are on a different fuse (ACC).

EDIT: and do not use those resistors unless you like taking a chance that your bike could catch on fire.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mark Ducati said:
I took the exposed end of each yellow wire and gently pushed it into the connector housing that holds several wires just testing to see which one's I needed to use... I got a couple sparks...
You did WHAT?

You need to go to a hardware store, go to the wiring tools section and pick up one of those thingies that looks like a hi-tech ice pick. It's about 7" long with a handle, has a sharp point on the working end that you can pierce wire insulation with, a wire coming out the handle you can touch to a ground and a built in light bulb that lights up when you have a live/hot wire.
For next time :mrgr:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
You've blown a fuse. Before touching anything else, go buy a cheap multimeter - your testing methods suck :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys... makes sense, I bet its the fuse. For those of you who know, any idea what size# fuse I need? Regular fuse that I can pick up at the auto shop?

Does the bike fuse panel have any "extra" fuses like some cars do?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
15 amp, mini-ATC
:stupid:

You should have 2 spares. They are mini-fuses.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, stopped by AutoZone on the way home for spares just in case.... everything is fine now. Yeah, it was the fuse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts