Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be grateful if somebody can give me some feedback or point me to a few links that supply both tank and side bags for the DX. I have to make a decision by tomorrow. I did a quick search for "bag" and "tank" on the DX forum but didn't see much specifically for the DX. I am more concerned with fitment than style.

thanks

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
What! Bag on a DX. Have you lost your mind?

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Check out NightMare's gallery, she has bags on her D. There should not be anything different about the bags between the vrods on the back.

For the tank bag, I saw someone with a DX show a pic but cannot remember who it was. I believe on the older vrods the airbox covers were aluminum, so you had to mount magnets underneath or strap them. As far as I know the 07 covers are steel now, but am not positive on this.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Check my gallery for the very expensive and reportedly fragile factory bags that are on my wife's D.

I have the same bags for my DX but they still sit in the sealed box because I can't bring myself to put bags on such a sleek, menacing bike.

The D and DX use a different mounting brace because of the wider rear fender on the DX.

For tank and/or tail bags, check out the following link and then go to the manufacturer's website. These bags will at least save some of the lines of the bike:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68790&highlight=axio

If looks didn't matter, I'd probably go with a Biker's Friend bag.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
Magnets stick to mine. There have been other 07 owners who have reported that their airbox cover is not metal, so you have to check your own. It seems the transition may have occurred during the model year and not at the beginning.

It's commonly accepted, however, that magnetic bags are more dangerous than strap bags because the magnets attract tiny metal particles to the backing and then rub them on your paint. It's easier to make sure the backing on a non-magnetic tank bag is clean enough to protect your paint.

Even with a metal cover, I'd go strap on the tank bag.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
So far for me my day pack is all I need. I use that for commuting to work and doing errands around town. I am with you and cannot see putting bags on such a menacing looking ride like the DX.

I did get a black stretch web so I could put stuff on the rear seat for weekend rides. I think it goes well with the DX. I do not need much, and like to go without my backpack on longer rides.

Attachments

·
fire up !
700 Posts
paramithas said:
I would be grateful if somebody can give me some feedback or point me to a few links that supply both tank and side bags for the DX. I have to make a decision by tomorrow. I did a quick search for "bag" and "tank" on the DX forum but didn't see much specifically for the DX. I am more concerned with fitment than style.

thanks
there are several posts on this in the DX and the bagger section
as an example see : http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70405
more pics in my gallery, saddlebags & tankbag work fine
there are alu as well as steel versions of the airbox cover out there but i prefer to use a tankbag with straps rather than magnets anyway (cfr. DFINCH'es comments)
grtz

·
Registered
161 Posts
balius said:
Oops, that pic didn't show the web... Here is a shot someone took at the Northern/Southern Vrod meet in San Luis Obispo last May.
Got a better pic of the chick in the red dress? :D

Do you hook the web to the fender? It doesn't seem there's many good places to attach straps or bungees to IMO. Not without rubbing paint.

·
Registered
45 Posts
pacanis said:
Got a better pic of the chick in the red dress? :D

Do you hook the web to the fender? It doesn't seem there's many good places to attach straps or bungees to IMO. Not without rubbing paint.
If you go across the seat with all the hooks in the passenger pegs you wont rub the paint at all. I put stuff on the passenger seat all the time with a cargo net.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
the bags i have fitted(see gallery) has 2 straps which adjust the width with heavy duty velcro,one strap fits across other over luggage rack the other the pillion seat. the part of the bags that rest against the fender have soft foam to prevent sctatching.they dont need to be tied down just lift off and on.have used them a number of times now with no problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update to all those that contributed with feedback. I received the Cortech bags (side, tank and tail) and was impressed with the design and quality. I haven't mounted them yet, but will provide feedback when I return from my 7 day trip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts