Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks to easy to me so I need some input here for this application. I have a 06SE2 which I want to remove the fluted covers and replace with a set of thinner stock ones so I can finally install my SE fork brace.......Here is what I can see to do this...........:hmm:

1) Remove brake calipers from forks.
2) Loosen triple trees and slide forks out.
3) Loosen chrome fork covers and replace with stock ones.
4) Re-install in order of removal.

Let me know if this is correct or if I am missing anything here???

I appreciate your help!!!!! :notworth:

Roger

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
rlemere06se said:
... Here is what I can see to do this...........:hmm:

1) Remove brake calipers from forks.
2) Loosen triple trees and slide forks out.
3) Loosen chrome fork covers and replace with stock ones.
4) Re-install in order of removal. ...
What you mention is more or less correct but you skipped removing front axle, wheel, and fender after step 1) but maybe those points are obvious.

Also:
1) be sure to set fork height even on both sides when you reassemble (6.4 to 9.7 mm projection above top triple clamp is specification)
2) put anti-seize on front axle
3) make sure fork tubes aren't miss-aligned when the axle holder is tightened
4) torque all fasteners to specification:

triple clamp pinch bolts: 31 to 34 ft·lbs
front axle nut: 50 to 55 ft·lbs
axle holder pinch bolts: 12 ft·lbs
brake caliper mounting bolts: 28 to 38 ft·lbs

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stever975 said:
What you mention is more or less correct but you skipped removing front axle, wheel, and fender after step 1) but maybe those points are obvious.
Thanks for the info. but, is it really neccesary to remove the axle, fender, and wheel to do this?

Roger

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
rlemere06se said:
Thanks for the info. but, is it really neccesary to remove the axle, fender, and wheel to do this? ...
Roger,
I may not understand what the "VRSCSE2 fluted covers" are. I thought these were the fork slider dust shield covers. If so, they won't come off without sliding the fork tubes out of the triple clamps and I wouldn't recommend sliding both forks out at the same time. It might be possible, but re-assembly won't be as easy as doing them separately.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I am looking to replace, just did'nt think I had to do all of that work just to replace them.........I guess it just looks to easy for me, I wonder why one could not slide both tubes out with the wheel attached, replace the covers and slide them back into place. Then I would not have to worry about realigning each tube......

Roger

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Roger, I remember when you got the fork brace. I decided to wait and see if you were going to install it and how much hassle it was. And when you did install it, did you notice any difference in ride/handling. I am still waiting :D for you to be test case.

I actually looked into doing this a couple months ago and realized there was no way to get the fluted dust covers off without dropping the forks completely. That's why I held off until "you" got done with yours. Plus the weather is too nice to have the bike downtime.

If you go forward, please take Pics. I'll use those along with the "How Too" for the fork spring replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
rlemere06se said:
... I wonder why one could not slide both tubes out with the wheel attached, replace the covers and slide them back into place. Then I would not have to worry about realigning each tube ...
Sliding them out won't be too difficult if you have a jack (or if you're a lot stronger than me,) but trying to slide them back in is something I wouldn't try. Fighting gravity and aligning the tubes doesn't seem feasible. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I've never done this and I don't know anyone else that does it that way.

For me it would be much easier to remove the wheel and fender and work with the tubes separately.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tray, I have a set of stock covers being sent to me by Plugger a member here, I should have them by this weekend and will be doing the mod then. I will take pics and put them here when I am done. I have as couple of jacks along with a bike jack, I wil try it this way and if I can't get it back in then I will dis-assembly the front tire from the forks and install them one fork at a time.

***Has anyone else here remove the forks with the tire attached and reinstall with no problems?????

Roger

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Unless you can figure out a way to keep from scratching the living daylights out of the fork tubes you won't like the results of the above mentioned method.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
S.E. Fork brace installed on S.E. Bike!

Well, had a few hours to kill tonight and decided to tackle the install of the SE fork brace..... After gathering a few bits of advice from other members here I just went for it. I decided not to remove the wheel, fender, brake calipers, and each fork individually. Removed the complete fork assembly after removing the brake calipers, fork stem chrome covers and loosening the triple tree bolts. Make sure you use your bike jack and tie down the bike to it as when the front wheel assembly is removed the bike is rear end heavy. After loosening the triple tree bolts you will have to use a rubber mallet to get the fork tubes out, I did it a little at a time and jacked up the bike as the forks were coming down.

Once I swapped out the fluted covers with a set of stock chrome covers I used some small head bolts as spacers to reinstall the fork tubes together, using the bolts as spacers the forks slid right in with no dinging or scratches whatsoever! I used an automotive jack under the rear tire to use as a fine adjustment to get the tubes back to the same height as the factory. Removed the spacer bolts and tightened the bolts to spec. Since I had a touch up kit sitting here I decided to fill in the lettering of the brace (see pics) I think it looks really good and makes the piece really stand out! Put everything else back together and installed the fork brace. Her are a few pictures of the finished process!

So now if you have an SE bike all you would need to do is either purchase a set of stock covers from a dealer or get a set off of a member here (Thanks Plugger!) The last bit of advice is this brace works fine with chrome lowers and I even used the supplied bolts from the kit as they were long enough.

Roger

Attachments

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Roger, how does it corner now with the brace?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T. Ray, no chance to take it for a spin yet. Probably this weekend.........Will let you know.

Roger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts