Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock seat and I splurged and bought the Corbin. I ask Corbin to level the seat out so it wouldn't push me toward to air box. They ignored my request and I got their stock seat. I use the airhawk seat to help level me out but still slide forward sometimes.

Is there a solo or someone that modifies seats out there. I would like to keep using the airhawk so lower, flat and back a little would be great. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m new here, but I just picked up an R. My last bike was an 02 A. I can’t get over the hieght of the seat, so I ordered a 1” tamarack drop (wanted 1.75, but the 1” will still carry 2 passengers without bottoming out). The seat feels like a brick, I’m 5 10 and 175 lbs. I just contacted a local upholsterer that does marine/auto etc. I’m going to bring the bike by, remove the seat cover, then sculpt the seat the way I want. Looking for 1” lower in the dish and a little off the sides near the front so I can waddle around on it easier. Material can be added in areas also.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
The R ain't no low rider. Reason for Dat.

With all due respect DMS1970 & deltaflash - the R Model is a taller suspended bike with the higher seat height for cornering clearance and leg clearance for a mid pegged bike. For one moment of clarity in '06 and '07, H-D really messed up and gave birth to a bike that almost turns well and hauls A$$. Don't screw it up by trying to get a low seat height. The only time the seat height even matters is waddling the bike around the garage or sitting at a light. A lower seat height means the footpegs are effectively even higher so even more leg cramping. Not Good. I'm at least an inch less inseam than you and I've gotten used to it. I was riding a 34" seat height dirt bike though so maybe less sensitive to it than you. Once underway seat height is invisible - if you are being pulled fwd. maybe get some other handlebars to pick you up and back, I got the '07 R black bars and I'm pretty happy, an inch higher and it would be perfect and still have the R stance. Just some suggestions from an R owner that has wrestled with this. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
From what I’ve read the 1” shock drop does not noticeably affect handling. For $80its an easy test. Same as shaving the seat, I can always put new foam in and raid it up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a done deal....

Thanks for the reply's and ideas. I called Corbin and they said bring the seat back and they would redo it. I live about 3 hrs. from the factory so it was an all day adventure for me. I was (not) looking to lower the seat altogether. I was wanting the seat angled away from the tank, because it kept pushing me into the tank/cover. They took as much foam from the back as they could and added more foam to the front part. Now I have a level seat. Big thanks to Corbin:notworth:

I don't seam to be able to download pics anymore or I would.

Thanks

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
With all due respect DMS1970 & deltaflash - the R Model is a taller suspended bike with the higher seat height for cornering clearance and leg clearance for a mid pegged bike. For one moment of clarity in '06 and '07, H-D really messed up and gave birth to a bike that almost turns well and hauls A$$. Don't screw it up by trying to get a low seat height. The only time the seat height even matters is waddling the bike around the garage or sitting at a light. A lower seat height means the footpegs are effectively even higher so even more leg cramping. Not Good. I'm at least an inch less inseam than you and I've gotten used to it. I was riding a 34" seat height dirt bike though so maybe less sensitive to it than you. Once underway seat height is invisible - if you are being pulled fwd. maybe get some other handlebars to pick you up and back, I got the '07 R black bars and I'm pretty happy, an inch higher and it would be perfect and still have the R stance. Just some suggestions from an R owner that has wrestled with this. :blahblah: :D
Zactly

From what I’ve read the 1” shock drop does not noticeably affect handling. For $80its an easy test. Same as shaving the seat, I can always put new foam in and raid it up.
1" drop will have significant impact on the R handling. Not the same as other VRODS. The R has very different rake and trail. Lower the front to match and the fender will be hitting the triple trees.

Thanks for the reply's and ideas. I called Corbin and they said bring the seat back and they would redo it. I live about 3 hrs. from the factory so it was an all day adventure for me. I was (not) looking to lower the seat altogether. I was wanting the seat angled away from the tank, because it kept pushing me into the tank/cover. They took as much foam from the back as they could and added more foam to the front part. Now I have a level seat. Big thanks to Corbin:notworth:

I don't seam to be able to download pics anymore or I would.

Thanks
Good luck on the new seat. IMO streetrodracer nailed it in regards to the bar being the bigger issue. If the seat doesn't take care of you give the bar a try.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Call me crazy but I'm looking forward to the longer shocks ( probably only 1/2 inch ) that MikeinATL and some other R guys have discussed here and a couple have installed - they will give the bike a slightly steeper rake without any bad handling side effects and provide better steering especially at higher speeds. I've got long arms so the handlebar issue is not a big deal but if an R riders arms are shorter those stock low fwd bars will pull you forward in the race prone position and into the airbox cover. Comfort is not the R Models forte' and probably contributed to it's low sales and eventual demise as the average showroom cruiser buyer wants comfortable over performance.

·
Agave Idiots :)
337 Posts
I have posted before about seat issues as well, I'm a little taller 6'3 1/2" and felt like I was jamming my nuts against the airbox. I went to a place called Rich's Custom Seats near Seattle.

http://www.richscustomseats.com/

They did a wonderful job of rebuilding my seat so I was moved back probably 3" and raised me up a bit. He is a kinesiologist and fits you according to your own body's geometry....loved it big time!

I think that kind of a custom seat is best for everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts