Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm going "topless" but noticed a plug in the airbox lid. First of all, what is it and second do I unplug it or actually remove the whole thing from the lid and secure it to the airbox?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
do not take this personal...Use the search function there are pics.

You have to remove it and re-install it on the lower box.

Push in on the clip and then pull and the sensor will come off the wire harness.

You need this sensor.

Most important is you need to get a manual.

It will pay for itself.

rsc

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
that is the intake air temp sensor and you will need it. it can be relocated anywhere near the airfilter and it will function properly..a shop manual is a handy thing to have

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. The manual is on the way but I have some Christmas leave and want to do some work on the bike and don't feel like waiting for the mail man. Also, I tried the search first as I usually do but I also usually suck at it. This time I kept getting results on everything regarding the airbox except what I was looking for but as I just said, I am not much on the searchamajigga. Anyway, thanks again for the help. The people and knowledge on this sight are great. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Patrick

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Take a 2" hole saw and drill a bunch of holes in the top and leave it and the sensor right where Harley intended it.
We did comparative dyno runs, drilled, semi-topless, topless and no real advantage or difference in the fuel/air ratio going completely topless. The cylinders can only hold so much air! :D

What ever you do, make sure you get it tuned properly.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Do what I did and drill a hole in the front of the filter top just large enough for IAT sensor to fit into and a piece of black duck tape. this way it's still getting the temp of the air entering the motor...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Take a 2" hole saw and drill a bunch of holes in the top and leave it and the sensor right where Harley intended it.
We did comparative dyno runs, drilled, semi-topless, topless and no real advantage or difference in the fuel/air ratio going completely topless. The cylinders can only hold so much air! :D

What ever you do, make sure you get it tuned properly.
+1 with this guy. the guys at the shop i go to have also done the comparatives and no advantage in chucking the lid. they cut the front off the top where the snorkel used to be.....looks sort of like a reverse cowl scoop.( ram air ) works great and still got my iat sensor intact.if youre interested i'll post up some pics.
cheers sonny

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
+1 with this guy. the guys at the shop i go to have also done the comparatives and no advantage in chucking the lid. they cut the front off the top where the snorkel used to be.....looks sort of like a reverse cowl scoop.( ram air ) works great and still got my iat sensor intact.if youre interested i'll post up some pics.
cheers sonny
Nice back-up. I'm actually surprised the statement didn't start a flurry.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does anyone make a filtered top instead of the hard plastic that is used to hold the air filter in place or is the top shaped like that for clearance of the velocity stacks?.

Sorry if its a dumb question but,I have not yet had the tank or air box top off at all yet......Andy

P.S.-Thank You AOW thats a great detailed slide of the airbox mod that gentleman did.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
as far as i know the diamond lid for the air filter is the only way you can get it. like ncvrodracer said, we drilled a hole in the top of the lid, but instead of duct tape, i used 2 rubber o-rings on the sensor for it not to rattle around. you could get 1 o-ring big enough but its waht i had in my toolbox.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does anyone make a filtered top instead of the hard plastic that is used to hold the air filter in place or is the top shaped like that for clearance of the velocity stacks?.

Sorry if its a dumb question but,I have not yet had the tank or air box top off at all yet......Andy

P.S.-Thank You AOW thats a great detailed slide of the airbox mod that gentleman did.
:moped:

No dumb questions here...don't know why you would want to change the top for...extra air???
I read somewhere on one of these forums that if you cut the front of the lid off the air box, you know the round tube that pulls the fresh air into the air box as well as some of the front part it would work even better because it would work just like a hornet scoop, suckin in fresh clean air, also you would not have to relocate the air temp censor at the front of the lid
When you remove the whole lid you suck hot, dirty air from the engine. … you will need to relocate the air temp censor at the front of the lid to the lid of the air filter.
After this and any mod get your bikr tuned.

·
Registered
43 Posts
:moped:

No dumb questions here...don't know why you would want to change the top for...extra air???
I read somewhere on one of these forums that if you cut the front of the lid off the air box, you know the round tube that pulls the fresh air into the air box as well as some of the front part it would work even better because it would work just like a hornet scoop, suckin in fresh clean air, also you would not have to relocate the air temp censor at the front of the lid
When you remove the whole lid you suck hot, dirty air from the engine. … you will need to relocate the air temp censor at the front of the lid to the lid of the air filter.
After this and any mod get your bikr tuned.
like this ?

cheers sonny

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
don't know why you would want to change the top for...extra air???
As with any performance application the more you twist them the more they need air.We run a top on both my sprint car team and 10.5 tire car that allows for the air to also be drawn in the top of the fuel injection or carb along with the side.It would be a great help on the V's if one was available,especially for those who live on the edge above 8k.

Here is a link to what we run on our 10.5 tire car for a top and what I mean.

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/X-stream.htm

To have the ability to utilize the top also for filtered air would certainly help with air flow and should help alot performance wise and should really send a sound that many will enjoy,IF you can hear it above the pipes...LOL.........Andy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Okay, I'm going "topless" but noticed a plug in the airbox lid. First of all, what is it and second do I unplug it or actually remove the whole thing from the lid and secure it to the airbox?
Just do as the pic shows:chainsaw:. Dont leave or throw away this censor it is needed for you bike to run properly it reads the air temp of the air entering the manafold and adjusts the fuel ratio...or something like that. Besides if you remove the lid all together when you open up the throdle:moped: you will here a very loud sucking thumping noise that is if you dont have loud pipes and then you cant hear anything at all....:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts