Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed out my old swingarm for a new chrome one and it looks great...but..it is just off by a hair meaning the belt is now almost flush agains the gas tank and the lower debris deflector will not fit (everything else is a good fit, wheel, upper belt guard, shocks, etc). The stock swingarm had perfect fitment so the only difference has to be the bearings not being pressed in all the way causing the fit to be off. But, stupid me did not take a picture of how the left side bearing should sit in the swingarm and I thing the shop that pressed it in left too much of a gap.

Should the left side bearing be sitting flush with the inside of the swingarm? They left about a 1/4 inch gap between the bearing and the inside lip of the swingarm. The right side bushing is sitting flush with the inside of the swingarm and I know that it is right because the old bushing is still in the old swingarm but they reused the left one. If someone has a picture or knows how far that left bearing should be seated, please let me know, I will take it back and have them press the bearing in all the way. Thanks!

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
It should be seated as far in as it will go against the lip stop. I remember changing my swingarm and pressing the bearing in, it was really tight. Used wd40 and grease to coat the bearing before pressing in but it was still hard pressing in.

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steppenwolf said:
You guys are great for such a quick response. I wish I had noticed it before I left the shop..now I have to take the swingarm back off and take it back to them. Get this, the HD dealer charged me a full hour of labor to press those bearings ($83) and they still did not get it right. I should have just bought the bearing tool myself and done it. Thanks again.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
I believe your swingarm bearings are different from my '04's, but I pressed in my bearing races with some big bolts and washers I got from Home Depot (about 6 bucks total), and using them with the old bearings it was really easy. I am sure something similar could be done with the sealed bearing.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
sammy said:
I believe your swingarm bearings are different from my '04's, but I pressed in my bearing races with some big bolts and washers I got from Home Depot (about 6 bucks total), and using them with the old bearings it was really easy. I am sure something similar could be done with the sealed bearing.
Yeah Kristi, you can get a bolt that "just" fits thru the bearing w/enough threads to use 2 washers and a nut. Make sure the washers go to the outside of the bearing but must go inside the bearing cup. And if you can, get a fine thread screw...Good luck girl....

Mike

·
Don't think, ride.
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PD87 said:
Yeah Kristi, you can get a bolt that "just" fits thru the bearing w/enough threads to use 2 washers and a nut. Make sure the washers go to the outside of the bearing but must go inside the bearing cup. And if you can, get a fine thread screw...Good luck girl....

Mike
Good advice all, thanks! I had the shop fix the bearing to be flush and it fits perfectly now. I wonder if I could use the washers and nuts for the triple tree bearing too? I will be changing to a chrome front end next and will have to deal with that.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Night Rodder said:
Good advice all, thanks! I had the shop fix the bearing to be flush and it fits perfectly now. I wonder if I could use the washers and nuts for the triple tree bearing too? I will be changing to a chrome front end next and will have to deal with that.
That is my next project also, last thing left to change out to chrome. Just waiting for my trees to come in so I can see what it takes. You may want to see what kind of tools autozone has to lend or rent out that might work. Just remember if you do it yourself, protect the chrome.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
I have a chrome swingarm that I will be installing soon. Glad I found this thread. I have access to a hydraulic arbor press and I took the swingarm over to see how it would fit. How do you press in the race and bearing on the “backside” of the left side of the swingarm. I thought maybe a long steel rod like a long socket extension or something. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts