Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a competent tech who can properly tune a 2014 F. I live in Iowa and my local Harley dealer is sketchy at best.
Im running Basanni mufflers, K&N filter and a Dynojet tuner from Fuel Moto. I did these mods a couple winters ago and just feeling less than satisfied with the whole tune.
After installing the tune I noticed a few issues with driveability. Decel popping from exhaust, still bucks at 2700-3500 rpm. Fuel mileage wasnt too bad but seems to have gotten worse over the course of last riding season. Already installed new plugs and found the plenum gasket pinched out of place allowing an air leak.
I decided to take it to the dealer and have them dyno tune it. Wont go into all the sorted details about that experience but bike seems to run the same. The HP/torque printout showed a gain but it feels like I lost power. It just doesnt seem to set me back as hard in the saddle and just feels slower. I realise that feel is not an accurate measure of performance so please dont beat that observation to death.
Im running narrow band O2s and everything else is stock.
I ride this bike hard most of the time and it sees a fair amount of highway riding as well. Im not building a drag bike, just want it to run like a well tuned engine should.

For a while I was under the impression that some of these issues were just the nature of the beast so I lived with it. I adjusted my gear selection and throttle to account for them. Now that ive read a few more threads here, im beginning to believe that something can be done.

I cant find the printout from the Dyno and as I type this, im not entirely certain what I did with the tuner module. :hmm: I know its here somewhere. House remodeling doesnt help with keeping track of things.

If anyone knows a knowledgable tech in Iowa that can tune or help me tune these annoying issues out, I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I hate to piggyback on your posting but I'm looking for a Tuner near the West Coast of USA, preferably in the Pacific Northwest but I could just as soon ride up to Vancouver BC Canada as well. The HD dealer basically took my money and did worse than I could have ever done myself.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Thanks Rob. South K.C. is about 5 hrs south of me. Thats doable.

No problem Grutch. Hope someone has what youre looking for.
Joe and I have talked many times. He is a wiz kid on tuning and Harleys for that matter. He uses PV as well. You won't be disappointed. He use to work at a dealership and tuned many v rods well, unlike many bad ones we read about. He went on his own a few years ago.
Ron

Grutch: Russel at Lonewolf performance, Vancouver Island, is another I've talked to and emailed many times. Good guy to deal with. TTS is his main tuner but uses others as well. Kicker is, for some reason I cannot bring up his site any more. Not sure what the deal is on that. From everything I know about him , he's worth the trip.
Update. Seems Russell has retired from tuning. Bummer. I know of nobody in that area you mentioned I can attest to as being v rod capable for a tune. There could be, I just don't have any info good or bad on them.
Update 2. Ok got the scoop and he is still at it. I will PM you his phone #
Ron

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for posting this! My sentiments are the exact same on my local HD shop. I too am in Iowa and need to get a GOOD tune done. Did you end up getting your bike done? If so who did you go with?

PS: if you dont mind, shoot me a PM. if you are quasi-local it could be cool to get together and ride.

Im looking for a competent tech who can properly tune a 2014 F. I live in Iowa and my local Harley dealer is sketchy at best.
Im running Basanni mufflers, K&N filter and a Dynojet tuner from Fuel Moto. I did these mods a couple winters ago and just feeling less than satisfied with the whole tune.
After installing the tune I noticed a few issues with driveability. Decel popping from exhaust, still bucks at 2700-3500 rpm. Fuel mileage wasnt too bad but seems to have gotten worse over the course of last riding season. Already installed new plugs and found the plenum gasket pinched out of place allowing an air leak.
I decided to take it to the dealer and have them dyno tune it. Wont go into all the sorted details about that experience but bike seems to run the same. The HP/torque printout showed a gain but it feels like I lost power. It just doesnt seem to set me back as hard in the saddle and just feels slower. I realise that feel is not an accurate measure of performance so please dont beat that observation to death.
Im running narrow band O2s and everything else is stock.
I ride this bike hard most of the time and it sees a fair amount of highway riding as well. Im not building a drag bike, just want it to run like a well tuned engine should.

For a while I was under the impression that some of these issues were just the nature of the beast so I lived with it. I adjusted my gear selection and throttle to account for them. Now that ive read a few more threads here, im beginning to believe that something can be done.

I cant find the printout from the Dyno and as I type this, im not entirely certain what I did with the tuner module. :hmm: I know its here somewhere. House remodeling doesnt help with keeping track of things.

If anyone knows a knowledgable tech in Iowa that can tune or help me tune these annoying issues out, I would be very grateful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.