Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post and thought i saved it but now its gone. It was about HD doing an upgrade to the headset. I had mine "fixed" all they did was tighten the nut. it was fine for a while. The other day i had to grab a hand full of front brake and heard a cluck. Now my bike is clunking everyonce in a while. The dealer has on my last work order that the head set bearing may be wore from improper factory instalation. So I type this two fingers at a time wondering when the factory fix will be in or if some one has a link to the way they are fixing it now. I am going in for some work and want to get this taken care of too.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Chuck very soon to be released is a steel stem shaft. The current shaft is aluminum and apparently the threads or the shaft it self stretches over time. The new shaft they told us at the factory would be available very soon and would fix the issue for once and for all. So it will be added weight but a much stronger shaft.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Yep, thet aluminum shaft stretches a little from repetitave stress. Either keep tightening it up every now and then or get the steel shaft trees when they are out soon.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
would this new shaft be on the 08s or no?...

if not,will these be updated thru warrantee ,like a recall?..or would we need to take it in with the clunk to get it warranteed?

thanks
Dan

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
NOS-DAN said:
would this new shaft be on the 08s or no?...

if not,will these be updated thru warrantee ,like a recall?..or would we need to take it in with the clunk to get it warranteed?

thanks
Dan
The factory guys said it is not a defect, it is an improvement. Not a recall, not a warrantee. I am pretty sure that it is one of the changes for the '08 model, along with the 1250 and the ABS and the slipper clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts