Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Monkey
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post here. so a quick intro. I have 1.5 years riding xp, previous bikes kawi vulcan 900 and concours 14. my in-laws ride HD's so of course the always spout off how great they are. well I prefer american bikes and the sound of V-twins over the in line 4's. I love the look of the V-rod especially the muscle. so right now the wife is deployed and purchasing a v-rod muscle for me through aafes. can't beat the price. . .

I've been looking at all the modifications and have a huge list of things I want to get done. I'm near Raleigh NC and I'm looking for a good tuning shop. is ray price some place to consider or what about other shops?

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
neil isn't the service dept mgr. chris gaither is, but neil will be the one to tune it for you, hes good. bring about 500$ with you and expect to be there a half a day and your probably not going to stand back there and watch. but if you do come up here send me a pm and i'll meet you over there, i've known chris gaither for 30 years, he used to build my dads kawasaki engines in the 70's and 80's if i'm with you he'll let us go back and check it out and talk with neil. bring a cd to put the map or maps on, they usually will give you one but if there out of cds to burn then yer SOL.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
neil isn't the service dept mgr. chris gaither is, but neil will be the one to tune it for you, hes good. bring about 500$ with you and expect to be there a half a day and your probably not going to stand back there and watch. but if you do come up here send me a pm and i'll meet you over there, i've known chris gaither for 30 years, he used to build my dads kawasaki engines in the 70's and 80's if i'm with you he'll let us go back and check it out and talk with neil. bring a cd to put the map or maps on, they usually will give you one but if there out of cds to burn then yer SOL.
Did Neil get tired of the management thing?? I haven't talked with him since last August. I need to catch up..

Are you heading to "The Rock"

Regards

Jerry

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i wont make it to the rock,having my knee operated on again on the 8th. i wont feel like walking or much less go in anywhere i imagine.

·
Monkey
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so am I getting stay away from ray price? seeing how I live 45 mins east of raliegh/ray price. . .

I'm not saying it's not worth traveling to statesville to get a tune. and I'm not saying I won't. just kinda looking for a tuner closer so I don't have to take leave to get the bike tuned. seeing how I ride back and forth to work.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
i wont make it to the rock,having my knee operated on again on the 8th. i wont feel like walking or much less go in anywhere i imagine.
Good Luck on your knee operation!!! I know what that is all about.

Pat was tempting me to come and was going to get a golf cart for the event. So there are options..... if you just can't stay away.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
so am I getting stay away from ray price? seeing how I live 45 mins east of raliegh/ray price. . .

I'm not saying it's not worth traveling to statesville to get a tune. and I'm not saying I won't. just kinda looking for a tuner closer so I don't have to take leave to get the bike tuned. seeing how I ride back and forth to work.
IMHO:I would go over to Statesville, get a real good tune for the configuration you have and then as you said just ride it.

Going forward, you will only need to change/clean the air cleaner if it's a K&N you'll still have to wash it occasionally) and the plugs.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
What mods are you going to do? Someone thats good with Power Commanders may not be as good with a Super Tuner..

The guy that tunes my bike it at Greensboro H/D, he rides a V and is very good with the super tuner...

Ive talked to the guys at Collier H/D and they are good with the Power Commander..

Haven't heard anything good or bad about Ray Prices..

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
What mods are you going to do? Someone thats good with Power Commanders may not be as good with a Super Tuner..

The guy that tunes my bike it at Greensboro H/D, he rides a V and is very good with the super tuner...

Ive talked to the guys at Collier H/D and they are good with the Power Commander..

:them:

i'd let david at GB H-D tune my bike with no worries, having one him self and tuning on genes bike among other bikes he's perfectly capable and reliable. it may be cheaper too not just because its closer but there labor may or maynot be less than tilleys. any way if you do decide to come to tilleys let me know i'll help if i can.

·
Monkey
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

well for the fuel controller I'm not set on anyone specific, but I plan to go to a big bore 1430, vance and hines comp series full pipes, and modified airbox. haven't decided how i'm modifying it because I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in that respect.

I want to make the fake vents real. make a true ram air intake. with of course a high flow filter. over all goal is 144 whp and anything over 89 tq. I just got off a bike that had about that and want at least that.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
well for the fuel controller I'm not set on anyone specific, but I plan to go to a big bore 1430, vance and hines comp series full pipes, and modified airbox. haven't decided how i'm modifying it because I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for in that respect.

I want to make the fake vents real. make a true ram air intake. with of course a high flow filter. over all goal is 144 whp and anything over 89 tq. I just got off a bike that had about that and want at least that.

I would go with a super tuner then or the VRSID or something like that.. Going that bug it should be no problem, you can get in the high 120's with just the cams, exhaust and a good tune...

·
Monkey
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea I forgot to mention the cams will be replaced. but of course that will be after more research. lol. I just really started doing the research on them.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
With your planned "motor upgrades" I would again not hesitate to recommend Tilley in Statesville. Don Tilley and his crew are very familiar with doing Big Bore V-Rods, Cams, reflowing heads and all of the various Race Tuner software. They were the AHDRA record holders for the v-rod class for several years.

They did mine and I never had a problem.

They can advise you on what works and what doesn't which will save you a TON of money.

I think 2oo6niterod and ncvrodracer will agree but in the end it's your choice.

·
Monkey
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With your planned "motor upgrades" I would again not hesitate to recommend Tilley in Statesville. Don Tilley and his crew are very familiar with doing Big Bore V-Rods, Cams, reflowing heads and all of the various Race Tuner software. They were the AHDRA record holders for the v-rod class for several years.

They did mine and I never had a problem.

They can advise you on what works and what doesn't which will save you a TON of money.

I think 2oo6niterod and ncvrodracer will agree but in the end it's your choice.
thanks for everything.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
thanks for everything.
I think the guiding principle for your project needs to be that you want to have a end result that works to its fullest potential for the dollars you are willing to spend.

So a complete build package by experienced prfessionals that includes the tuning is the way to go.

Please post how your project goes.

Best wishes

Jerry

·
Monkey
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the guiding principle for your project needs to be that you want to have a end result that works to its fullest potential for the dollars you are willing to spend.

So a complete build package by experienced prfessionals that includes the tuning is the way to go.

Please post how your project goes.

Best wishes

Jerry

Thanks. I usually mod cars and my thing with them is make sure the setup can handle more power then you're really looking for. in the end I know my current goal won't be where I end up.

I pick the bike up at the first of march (wife is deployed and ordered the bike for me). hopefully I'll have the exact parts and knowledge I'm looking for by then. If everything goes according to plan (hardly ever does) I should be able to have at least stage 1 done after first service. and wait for stage 2 till I either deploy or nov/dec next year. stage 3? we'll see where stage 2 puts me and how the rest of the bike is handling the added power.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Went riding with my buddy today and Tiileys has his new F model making 133 rwhp according to the dyno sheet he has. He wont ever fess up to all the mods but he admitted to having the screaming eagle cams and 58mm throttle bodys. I'm bettin they upped the injector size too. It actually reminds me of an old muscle car the way it sounds. You'd think it was missing on a cylinder till the throttle's opened up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts