Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Philly Vrod Guy
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road for 12 hours today with a group of friends.....Kept hearing a click click click when rolling out.....Picked up a nice roofing nail in the center of the tread. Made it home, pulled in the garage and then heard a nice hiss....Good news it is on flat on the bottom.....Anyone know what it costs to replace a rear tire on an 04 A?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
tpspuck said:
Road for 12 hours today with a group of friends.....Kept hearing a click click click when rolling out.....Picked up a nice roofing nail in the center of the tread. Made it home, pulled in the garage and then heard a nice hiss....Good news it is on flat on the bottom.....Anyone know what it costs to replace a rear tire on an 04 A?

Go with a 200 Metzler! Hog Pro can hook you up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I replaced my rear with a stock dunlop on my Iron Butt from Ohio to Arkansas on my 04 B.

It cost around $240 installed at the dealer (Gover's H-D in Piqua, Ohio) - they discount their tires a little so it may cost a bit more elsewhere.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Plug It!

·
George
5,411 Posts
soonervrod said:
a blow out is not worth the money you save by plugging.
This has been beat to death around here..... Show me ONE case of a blow-out from a plug failure, and I'll pay you $100!....

·
Philly Vrod Guy
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks FireDawg - That is around what I figured. To me plugging a tire is like putting a $20,000 bike on a $100 trailer. Some how the risk is just not worth it!

·
Registered
219 Posts
tpspuck said:
Thanks FireDawg - That is around what I figured. To me plugging a tire is like putting a $20,000 bike on a $100 trailer. Some how the risk is just not worth it!
You're welcome - cost me 1:45 on my Iron Butt, only about 200 miles into it :bash: I ended up replacing my front too, once I got to Hot Springs. The nail head cut the front down to the casing and the cut had some junk in it.

Check that front tire over too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
HD dealer just called the 200 Metz reqiures belt guard mods, extra half hour labor.........I am sure it WILL be worth it! Dar
P.S. I ain't puttin my ass on a plugged tire!

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,318 Posts
capngeo said:
This has been beat to death around here..... Show me ONE case of a blow-out from a plug failure, and I'll pay you $100!....
:them: I won't pay the $100, but still haven't heard one documented case of somebody blowing a plug out.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I would not chance it with a plug....peace of mind to me is worth spending the money for a new tire

·
Registered
552 Posts
stomper said:
:them: I won't pay the $100, but still haven't heard one documented case of somebody blowing a plug out.
I'm with you. If it's safe for an auto why not for a bike? Seems to me if you lose a plug it will just lose air like the original leak. Motorcycle shops discourage plugging so they can sell you a new tire. I say if it's stilll a good tire ... Plug-it. Doesn't a Blowout mean a sidewall failure anyway?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
foraker1sg said:
HD dealer just called the 200 Metz reqiures belt guard mods, extra half hour labor.........I am sure it WILL be worth it! Dar
P.S. I ain't puttin my ass on a plugged tire!
extra 1/2 hour aint bad, remember they also cut out your fender bolts so you will NEVER be able to put bags on it (Which isnt a bad thing)

·
Dave
248 Posts
Car dealers around my area will not plug a car or truck tire any more. They have to remove the tire and patch it from the inside. I’m sure it’s for a reason. I've had a plug develop in to a slow leak on my car. For those who swear by plugs on a bike, more power to ya. I carry a plug kit while I'm on the road, but that's to keep me going until I can replace the tire on the bike. I'm not sure there are a lot of people who can document a plug failure and post it from the hospital or would admit a flaw in judgment. Hey, I'm not saying plugs don't work, since I’ll still do it with my car. I simply think the failure rate on two wheels isn't worth it, at least for me. Ride on to those who have the faith. To each is own..

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
Horsespatoot said:
I'm with you. If it's safe for an auto why not for a bike? Seems to me if you lose a plug it will just lose air like the original leak. Motorcycle shops discourage plugging so they can sell you a new tire. I say if it's stilll a good tire ... Plug-it. Doesn't a Blowout mean a sidewall failure anyway?
Car = 4 tires, one goes bad you're fine. Bike = 2 tires, one goes bad and you have a problem. Why risk it? Is the $ that important?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts