Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before anyone directs me to the search function, I have read every page and done every remedy recommended.

Coolant is spread all over right side of bike under the water pump. Tightened every hose clamp on this bike, placed the bike on a stand, cleaned up bike and ran the piss out of it for a good 30 minutes. NO LEAKS AT ALL. Take the bike for a spin and coolant drizzled all ove the right side of bike???? Change out coolant cap and put a towel around overflow tank thinking if coolant is coming from there the towel would catch it but nothing. Coolant doesn't seem to be coming from weep hole. I take it to HD with coolant stains left on there and the tech spent a good 5 hours on it, tightening all clamps and running it inside the shop and pressure testing it and he found no leaks. Great, I get the bike back thinking positive things, take it for a spin and coolant everywhere. I can't seem to locate the leak.

I do have the original overflow tank but couldn't locate coolant leaking from that area.

Any thoughts

·
EXCELSIOR
8,473 Posts
Damn, nothing from the weep hole, gasket surface, hoses, pressure test good?
I had coolant from the original water bottle when riding aggressively, it would slosh around and weep by the cap and drip down the frame but not the kind of volume that you're talking about. The other problem with the original bottle is the cap nipple would crack or break off.
Mine also developed a bad spot on the radiator, a crack where a fin attached to one of the vertical flat gallery's. It was a bitch to find but I took it to a radiator shop and they applied some fancy epoxy and fixed it. I would think a pressure test would find that.
Not sure what to suggest.

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well , took it back to HD and showed them the coolant drips and splatters and the re-tested it and I am getting the Waterpump and housing replaced.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Well , took it back to HD and showed them the coolant drips and splatters and the re-tested it and I am getting the Waterpump and housing replaced.
glad it got figured out for you, but for HD to "re-test" would imply they tested it in the first place. No way a leaking waterpump and or housing could go undiagnosed with a pressure test

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine did the same thing too. One day I got lucky and figured it out....My hoses leaked upon startup slightly when it was cold outside. It stopped when the coolant temp warmed up and the hoses got softer, which only too a couple of minutes. I had to really crank down on the clamps, especially around the "T" clamp at the upper right side. So far, so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts