Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I am new to the V-Rod community and I thought I would share my experience so far.......love it!

I moved up from a 1998 Sportster 1200S, heres how the V-Rod has gone:

Purschased 3/5/2004 2003 Two-tone anniversary edition with gold key kit:
$16,800.00 ($800 for gold key installed???)

Added Stage 1 (28 tooth sprocket, 16 guage exhaust, air cleaner, race tuner)
$1359.00 plus $534.00 labor

So with taxes and fees, left the dealer spending $20,403.84

SInce the I have added $1,600 in dress up items (sloted chrome stuff,braided throttle and lidle kit, luggage rack, sissy bar, back pad, leather SAC Bag, custom hand controls, etc.)

Just lovin it............but in all relationships not all is smooth :spank:

So here comes my dealer story:

Scheduled to have the Stage 1 stuff and have it mapped on Thursday March 18......

I was told it would take the better part of the day and maybe part of a second day to do the work......primarily because of the mapping and dyno time. Thursday came and went (was told it would take part of the second day) .....Friday I called @ 4:00 to see if it was now ready to pick up and was told they hadnt even started it, so if I wanted to pick my bike up for the weekebd I could.....I blew a gasket........two full days and hadnt even started it.

So after a tense conversation with the service mgr, he said they would try to have it ready by Saturday afternoon. So this Saturday @11:00 I went to the dealer to see how it was going bike on the rack lookin good......but wait.....when they opened up the exhaust package no mounting hardware :soapbox: but they had a runner going to pick it up from another dealer.......should still have it ready by the end of the day..........

Well 5:00 arrived their closing time so I called............bike been on the dyno being mapped for the last 3hrs.......but will need another 3-4 hours on Monday.........whoo! didnt know it was so difficult to dyno and map.

So I resolve myself to no riding this weekend :hmm: but then the final blow.....the guy doing the tunning is off on Mondays so unless they assign it to somone else it wouldnt be ready till Tuesday :yak:

So here I sit.....

This is a great forum and have learned a lot so far :notworth: ...looking to upgrade my seat, interested in Ozzy's stuff, and also heavycycles led signal kits. Look forward to adding to this forum as I experience more on my :vrod:

Ride Safe :kaz:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
It takes time to dyno.Lots of time. ;) Your lucky that they sent someone to go get a part for you.Some dealers would wait to get one from HD.
You waited this long to get the bike.I would tell them not to dyno it,because the guy doing it knows what is happening.Wait for him to come in on tuesday.Unless they have someone else who is better. ;)

:ride:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those were my thought exactly......the dealer did his best.......and am not trying to flame them, but I guess I didnt realize how difficult it is to do the dyno and mapping.........the service guy said it took close to three hours to get the cylnders balanced.

This is definitely not something to try at home!

·
Do It Movin...
1,180 Posts
Saleen146
Hey welcome, where are you located?

·
Do It Movin...
1,180 Posts
Did you go to Cycle Center?

·
Do It Movin...
1,180 Posts
Lucky Guess...
I used them to dyno my bike... One of the few HD dealers that also sells sports bikes, plus a PC Dyno center... PM with your contact info and we can talk in the morning...
Later...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey.. welcome....

Have you seen Ozzy skins in person? Money well spent... I got mine 2 days before Daytona this spring....

Stay on this forum.. there are guys who KNOW what they're talking about.. I am NOT one of them... but alway manage to jump on my soapbox. Keep an eye on the "group buys" section of the forum if you'll be buying a lot of stuff...

THINK before you spend or you'll get WAY upside down on that bike....

take good care

greg

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For sxrxrnr ---stalling

I bought my V-Rod a few weeks earlier the sxrxrnr from the same dealer. I finally got my bike back on the following Wednesday.....took two days to put on steal braided radiator hoses. When I picked up the bike and did a look around I noticed that only the long hose had been replaced when I asked about it - at first the answere was it only comes with the long hose....so I said could you look it up. Well short story is the ruined three of the short hoses trying to get it on and said the just could/would not do it......to difficult.

And sxrxrnnr is right about getting an appointment....on the 24th the earliest I could get a 1,000 mile tune-uo was 14 April.....three weeks later...shows how busy a season it is.

So far have not had any problems with the bike :dance: , but I know my confidence in a dealer who is unable to put a radiator hose on and refuse to do it.....well lets say less than positive.

As I've said before this is a great forum :notworth:

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
for the hell of it... RC Cycles in Hayward has a good dyno guy, who has worked on V-Rods, and I the guys down there pretty well (they are dyno freaks)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DrHeathenScum said:
for the hell of it... RC Cycles in Hayward has a good dyno guy, who has worked on V-Rods, and I the guys down there pretty well (they are dyno freaks)
You know I think I used them back in 1998 to dyno me Sportster and they did a "great job"

I posted my dyno sheet to "2003 Dyno results - Stage 1......in that thread some one had advised that my torque curve should be a little more linear......so your suggestion about RC Cycles might be the way to go.

Thanks
Joe

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
no problem... hope it helps... tell them I sent you if you happen to go/call there.

the guy that does the dyno work used to be up at Valejo H-D a couple of years ago... good guy... likes to ride with his whippet on his bike.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Saleen146,
I'm #01-860! :welcome: You will soon Learn the Word" Patients " when it come the V-rod Modifications at the Dealer Level.You have come to the right Place to let other that have been there before walk you through it!Let Me know when Your ready to Put a Turbo on that Bad Boy! :sinister: Won't be Long at the Rate Your Going! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts