Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Good at IT
83 Posts
Those look great! Let us know if there is any difference in heating/cooling.

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Are you worried about killing the vortex. Let us know if your fans run more. :confused: :confused:

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Those are Breathless Performance grilles. I have them as well. They are supposedly tested for airflow functionality -- that was one of the reasons I bought them. I've had them on for about five months. No problems yet. Of course I have yet to see how they do during hot weather.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could someone who has these tell me what gauge (or diameter) the wire mesh is, and what the grid size is?

Having those 2 measurements, I can calculate the percent open of the grills.

The reason is that a friend and I are working on perferated stainless inserts for grills instead of wire mesh. The trick is getting the right cuts to fit around the vortex generator fins properly...

·
Cruzin' the Canyons
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes , Breathless Performance grills. Way too F-kin expensive but I love the look. Took about 2 hours to do. (Thank God for Dremel)

I really don't see any issues with air intake.. but will monitor.

:biker:

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
DCLittlejohn said:
The reason is that a friend and I are working on perferated stainless inserts for grills instead of wire mesh. The trick is getting the right cuts to fit around the vortex generator fins properly...
Now that sounds awesome! Please keep us updated.

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Not trying to bring you down, but perforated sheet will be the absolute worst air flow possible. Maybe it will be ok for cooler environments, and Im sure it could look good though.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Ditto LENELSA, I do think it is a great looking mod, but definitely not a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
145 Posts
adamsg said:
Not trying to bring you down, but perforated sheet will be the absolute worst air flow possible. Maybe it will be ok for cooler environments, and Im sure it could look good though.
That's why I need to know the percent open for the "breathless" grills. By knowing the wire gauge and mesh size, I can calculate the percent of open space (holes) verses solid space (wire).

It looks like it's somewhere between 65% and 75% open, but I won't know for sure until I get the numbers requested. In any case, I can get perforated stainless with % open nearing 80%, it's just a matter of hole size and spacing.

OK, so anyway, you guys that already have the grills, how about some numbers? Please :ride:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Numbers can be deceiving. The "effective " free area and the measured free area are often quite different. Thin perforated metal with 50% measured free area has about 35% effective free area. The most open you can get is probably 60% measured, which is probably just less than 50%. Thicker also means less free area. There is a "vena contracta" effect, where air flow contracts as it passes through an opening. Thin metal Honeycomb which has a 95% free area by measurement, is only 48% effective free area.
So I guess you should use the finest diameter wire that will hold its shape, and make it as open as possible. Of course, then more "stuff" gets through. And cleaning the radiator becomes more necessary.
And I'd be looking at a water temperature gauge if I lived in a climate like here in Texas and I put any obstruction in the opening. I gotta believe that the HD engineers made the opening as small as possible to fit the worst climate (Arizona? Death Valley?)
I did paint the shiny tube inside the opening with BBQ black! That can only help with cooling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts