Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that I have had time to catch-up I thought I would share some highlights of my trip and how my V-Rod bagger performed. This is the second trip to Sturgis for the bike but after last year I made some changes. These changes included the UE Rev. A 5 gal tank, 440 HD progressive rear springs, road king custom handlebars for reduced reach, AIM clutch and Amsoil from HD20W-50.

The 5 gal tank gave me the confidence to go father than 80 miles. I could go 130-150 miles and it would take 4.1 to 4.2 gals to fill up. The level gage would just hit the E. at the 120-mile mark. I had no issues with the tank after install with the revised tank strap with the belt guard.

The 440 STD springs would bottom out at the stiffest setting the 440 HD on half setting gave a much better ride and never bottomed out.

They don’t make reduced reach 1 ¼ bars for the SE V-rod. I found a set of road king custom bars that are 1 ¼ straight thru and gave me a ½ inch wider and 3 inch reduced reach. This solved my sore back and gave my arms and hands a relaxed riding position.

the AIM clutch was a really life saver in the hand cramp department. it really does reduce pull, almost as much as the mechanical setup on my Ultra plus the benefit of increased clutch pressure above 4000 RPM. Thanks Max for the group buy.

I changed to Amsoil after reading all the positive input on the forum. I have run Royal Purple in my Ultra with great results but it is difficult to find on trips. Last year with the HD 20w-50 I would burn a quart about 2500 miles. I added 2 quarts last year on my Sturgis trip. Using the Amsoil this year I did a little over 5000 miles before I got home and could changed it and the engine didn’t even need a quart added. It used only about a pint of oil in that mileage. The other thing I noticed the oil barley discolored. Normally the other oils I have used will get fairly dark or black in color. It appears the Amsoil seals better and prevents less mechanical wear that allows combustion blow by and gear wear that results in oil changing color. I am forever an Amsoil convert.

Sorry we didn’t get to meet any of the forum members like last year. I understand there was a meeting in Spearfish for a ride on Wednesday at 9:00 AM but we had a breakfast induction to the Sturgis MC hall of Fame for a friend of ours at that time.

Another highlight of my trip for performance minded buffs was the **** ******* booth in Rapid City. For those interested in Turbo charging check out their site *******.com. The owner Brian Olsen has a neat little turbo setup that allows you to use your original exhaust with internal modes to remove restriction. It mounts out of the way where the front header pipe originally runs buy the front foot peg. He claims 140-170 rwhp depending on engine mods. He uses the Power commander and has standard warranties. A bit pricey but a well designed and easy install and basically don’t change the current look of your bike. He had one on a SE V-rod and it was hard to tell it was there if you didn’t know what to look for. Again it is on his site check it out.

ALL in all it was another great trip. Missed all the storms, only rode in about 50 miles of rain, 1000 miles of Interstate, only had to wear a coat for the last 5 hour ride home, and never had to take the tool kit out of the saddle bag. This is best performing and most comfortable touring bike I have owned.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Dennis, It sounds like you had a wonderful trip out west. I greatly appreciate your observations on the oil and am so glad that it worked out for you.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Thanks for the report Dennis. The reduced reach bars are indeed a lifesaver. And I've been using HD-Syn for 50K miles. I finally added the first oil ever, and it needed 1/2 qt, at 4500 miles since the last oil change (and that loss may be due to the slight oil leak I had from a puncture in the oil pan.) I'll change it when the rear tire finally needs replacing, and I figure that is another 1000 miles. I could barely see any color change in the oil.
I figure I'll be replacing the clutch one of these days, so I'm looking at all the options in advance.

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DPierce02 said:
Well now that I have had time to catch-up I thought I would share some highlights of my trip and how my V-Rod bagger performed. This is the second trip to Sturgis for the bike but after last year I made some changes. These changes included the UE Rev. A 5 gal tank, 440 HD progressive rear springs, road king custom handlebars for reduced reach, AIM clutch and Amsoil from HD20W-50.

The 5 gal tank gave me the confidence to go father than 80 miles. I could go 130-150 miles and it would take 4.1 to 4.2 gals to fill up. The level gage would just hit the E. at the 120-mile mark. I had no issues with the tank after install with the revised tank strap with the belt guard.

The 440 STD springs would bottom out at the stiffest setting the 440 HD on half setting gave a much better ride and never bottomed out.

They don’t make reduced reach 1 ¼ bars for the SE V-rod. I found a set of road king custom bars that are 1 ¼ straight thru and gave me a ½ inch wider and 3 inch reduced reach. This solved my sore back and gave my arms and hands a relaxed riding position.

the AIM clutch was a really life saver in the hand cramp department. it really does reduce pull, almost as much as the mechanical setup on my Ultra plus the benefit of increased clutch pressure above 4000 RPM. Thanks Max for the group buy.

I changed to Amsoil after reading all the positive input on the forum. I have run Royal Purple in my Ultra with great results but it is difficult to find on trips. Last year with the HD 20w-50 I would burn a quart about 2500 miles. I added 2 quarts last year on my Sturgis trip. Using the Amsoil this year I did a little over 5000 miles before I got home and could changed it and the engine didn’t even need a quart added. It used only about a pint of oil in that mileage. The other thing I noticed the oil barley discolored. Normally the other oils I have used will get fairly dark or black in color. It appears the Amsoil seals better and prevents less mechanical wear that allows combustion blow by and gear wear that results in oil changing color. I am forever an Amsoil convert.

Sorry we didn’t get to meet any of the forum members like last year. I understand there was a meeting in Spearfish for a ride on Wednesday at 9:00 AM but we had a breakfast induction to the Sturgis MC hall of Fame for a friend of ours at that time.

Another highlight of my trip for performance minded buffs was the **** ******* booth in Rapid City. For those interested in Turbo charging check out their site *******.com. The owner Brian Olsen has a neat little turbo setup that allows you to use your original exhaust with internal modes to remove restriction. It mounts out of the way where the front header pipe originally runs buy the front foot peg. He claims 140-170 rwhp depending on engine mods. He uses the Power commander and has standard warranties. A bit pricey but a well designed and easy install and basically don’t change the current look of your bike. He had one on a SE V-rod and it was hard to tell it was there if you didn’t know what to look for. Again it is on his site check it out.

ALL in all it was another great trip. Missed all the storms, only rode in about 50 miles of rain, 1000 miles of Interstate, only had to wear a coat for the last 5 hour ride home, and never had to take the tool kit out of the saddle bag. This is best performing and most comfortable touring bike I have owned.

Dennis
Brian from **************** (***** ********) brought to my attention i miss quoted his HP figures for the Vrod.

he reminded me he is getting 160+ rwhp on pump gas for the stock 1130cc motors and 170+ rwhp for the stock 1250 cc on pump gas. pretty impressive for a vrod on pump gas in my opinion.

hope i got it right this time Brian. if not ignore me and everyone visit his site for the right info LOL.

Dennis

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
DPierce02 said:
Brian from **************** (***** *******) brought to my attention i miss quoted his HP figures for the Vrod.

he reminded me he is getting 160+ rwhp on pump gas for the stock 1130cc motors and 170+ rwhp for the stock 1250 cc on pump gas. pretty impressive for a vrod on pump gas in my opinion.

hope i got it right this time Brian. if not ignore me and everyone visit his site for the right info LOL.

Dennis
Dennis they can't visit his site via the link. He is one of four people ( via Brad) that has sent me threats to sue me. People that threaten to sue me don't get the benefit of free advertisement at my expense.

I think his product and the information posted is mostly calculations done on paper with a lot of out of the side of his mouth talk about real results.

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max said:
Dennis they can't visit his site via the link. He is one of four people ( via Brad) that has sent me threats to sue me. People that threaten to sue me don't get the benefit of free advertisement at my expense.

I think his product and the information posted is mostly calculations done on paper with a lot of out of the side of his mouth talk about real results.
Max i understand the advertisement issue not a problem.

i guess if i want to backup his performance claims i will have to buy one and give it a try. like i posted before i have 2 80 inch EVO bagger *********** Turbo bikes with more than 90,000 accumulated miles with no problems and performance within published specs. cant vouch for the V-rod however.

just thought it was another V-rod product people would be interested in.

if i was to purchase one and publish real world info would it be welcome on your site.

thanks Dennis

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
DPierce02 said:
Max i understand the advertisement issue not a problem.

i guess if i want to backup his performance claims i will have to buy one and give it a try. like i posted before i have 2 80 inch EVO bagger *********** Turbo bikes with more than 90,000 accumulated miles with no problems and performance within published specs. cant vouch for the V-rod however.

just thought it was another V-rod product people would be interested in.

if i was to purchase one and publish real world info would it be welcome on your site.

thanks Dennis
Honesty is, but Brian and Brad don't have any idea what honesty is. I have dozens of post in the dead post area that even when confronted with direct questions about information being posted they either ignored the question or flat lied about it. Then the threat was kind of the icing on the cake from them. I PMed you the exact threat so you could read for yourself how they really are.

To hear about your sturgis trip would be great, to hear anything about Brian I really could care less. He and his buddy Brad both fall under the category of I wouldn't piss on his guts if he was on fire.

·
Banned
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max said:
Honesty is, but Brian and Brad don't have any idea what honesty is. I have dozens of post in the dead post area that even when confronted with direct questions about information being posted they either ignored the question or flat lied about it. Then the threat was kind of the icing on the cake from them. I PMed you the exact threat so you could read for yourself how they really are.

To hear about your Sturgis trip would be great, to hear anything about Brian I really could care less. He and his buddy Brad both fall under the category of I wouldn't piss on his guts if he was on fire.
i understand your position fully Max.

i will confine my posts to my personal experiences and wont reference Brian or Brad in them.

Dennis

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Alrighty then! I posted earlier tonight on a thread by Dennis from his 2008 trip and it seems to have disappeared. Way to go at the shows Dennis and thanks for attempting to share your recent trip experience and upgrades with us. Bike looks great. :thumb::thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts