Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bad luck depository
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been riding since March this year. Before that, about 7 years ago had 4 street bikes and a KZ250 dirt bike. My wife told me she wanted me to get a Harley last June (2006) after she took a ride with my cousin when we went to Detroit on vacation. When she first said this I thought "I want a v-rod" So about 8 months later I was on craigslist and found a 95 Honda shadow for $2500, I bought it to practice on, got my permit, took the MSF class, got my licence and.... I researched and researched an electriglide and streetglide because thats what my cousin had. I went to the dealer and asked tons of questions taking up 2-3 hours of the sales staff time at 3 different dealers. My wife went with me one day and as we walked in there sat an 2006 Pearlyellow Street Rod my wife said "Thats the bike!" I stood in awe saying "but, but I thought you wanted the other type" she said "nope thats the one I want you to get!" the rest is history....
So today since my bike is in the shop...
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=966036#post966036
I drove the car to work. Mr. Saturn driver with his head in his Uranus almost hit me and at this point I thought back to this last friday, to Mr. White GMC 2500 Van. I was getting on the freeway and it was one of the double on ramps where one entrance clover leafs and the other merges on to the on ramp before the freeway merge. My FF helmet visor was up and I looked at your eyes, our eyes met, I KNOW you saw me, but for some reason you headed straight for me. If it was not for the fact of my MSF teacher saying "watch the front wheels of the cars around you, you will see them move before the car does" I might have not been posting this, not only that but HD would have saved the cost of a warranty regulator and stator! (HAHA) Now that I ride I am always on the look out for fellow riders, a friend of mine after telling him the story said "Mr White GMC 2500 Van was looking for a car and when he didnt see one he moved on over."
So why did I tell this story, I guess I am looking for any other good M/C riding tips, things that you guys live by, maybe with everyone telling their most important or two or three or more points, we can all avoid a VERY BAD DAY!
Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
161 Posts
There's always something going on..... certainly one of the down falls of riding a bike in traffic. And when you're on an "empty" country road there's driveways, tractors that pull out of a field and turn around in the road, critters..... I had a school bus pull out right in front of me after she rolled through a stop sign on one of my first bikes back in the eighties. I don't know how that bike didn't lay over after getting it a little sideways.
I told myself for years I would't get another bike. Until I saw the DX

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Well since I own a GMC 2500 white van I can tell you that seeing anything out of them is impossible. I even got the convex mirrors that stick on but when around a big truck or van never stay beside them no matter if you think they see you or not. Cars and people may look right at you but that doesn't mean they see you so my tip is never ride beside any vehicle of any kind. Stay in front or behind them if at all possible, when you pass do so quickly, I can't even begin to tell you over the years how many people have changed lanes right on top of me.

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Rule 1: Ride like you're invisible.
Rule 2: If they see you, they want to kill you.

As you have experienced, cagers (a quaint term for those that ride in a vehicle bigger than a bike) feel "protected" in their own little cage. The only thing that they worry about is something that is bigger than them and thus is a threat. (See Rule 1).

They will look directly at you and not see you. You just don't register as a "threat". (See Rule 2) As Max said, realize when you are in a blind spot and don't let yourself linger there, either slow down or speed up and get away from that danger.

Same thing with semi trucks, especially on the freeway. They are in the right lane and you are in the middle lane. You cannot see the car entering the freeway from the entrance ramp and moving into the side of the truck. The truck driver may not see you and decide he's going to let the car into the lane and moves directly into you.....

Remember that you are going to get the worst part of any accident. You have the nimble, quick braking, quick accelerating vehicle that offers little to no protection. They are in a multi-ton lead sled that can seriously hurt or even kill you. Don't get offended, get defensive.

It boils down to this. There are two kinds of riders, those that have gone down and those that will go down.

One of the best pieces of advise I ever got was from this crusty old biker who said "dress for the crash, not the ride".

If it was not for the gear that I had on when I went down, I'd be dead. Yep, flat-line, cold, six-feet-under dead. ATGATT... All The Gear All The Time

HH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts