Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mildly Retarded
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I've been getting the stalls since I hit the 11,000 mile mark last year. It would die at idle / pulling in cluthc at high RPM, etc. Tried the IAT, grounding cables, battery terminals, new battery, battery tender, etc, etc. Finally figured it out. The butterflys are barely open at idle as they should be. However, I looked down the tb and noticely a thick coating of black oily film. So much so that it closed the gap and choked the engine at idle. The shop rag was coated with black goo by the time I was done but now it idles strong. No more stalling. I search the threads for this solution and didn't see it. Hope this isn't a repost.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
There are top engine cleaners made just for this problem.I prefer the stuff sold at GM and Mopar dealers.Pouring injector cleaner in the tank does nothing for the coke buildup in the intake system.
There are some posts about how to do this from years gone by,don't remember what section they were in.If you can't find any PM me and I'll tell you how to do it and give you the part #'s for the product.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
WIKID V said:
Well,
I've been getting the stalls since I hit the 11,000 mile mark last year. It would die at idle / pulling in cluthc at high RPM, etc. Tried the IAT, grounding cables, battery terminals, new battery, battery tender, etc, etc. Finally figured it out. The butterflys are barely open at idle as they should be. However, I looked down the tb and noticely a thick coating of black oily film. So much so that it closed the gap and choked the engine at idle. The shop rag was coated with black goo by the time I was done but now it idles strong. No more stalling. I search the threads for this solution and didn't see it. Hope this isn't a repost.
I've also been dealing with the same problem, thanks for the heads up I'll give it a try :thumb:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
GM has had problem with the v-8s and v-6s doing this for years when the throttle bodies get very dirty. Usually you just have to clean the area by the plates to correct this.

·
Mildly Retarded
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Elrod, the area wipe clean with just a rag. It wasn't a dry carbon sort of buildup. It was more of a thick oily film (like axle grease). Enough, apparently, to cause me issues. All is well now though. Max, that is exactly what seemed to work. Just made sure the butterfly, tube and area down to the base were wiped clean. No more probs.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
why would you be getting that buildup of oil gunk.havent any of that happen on my intakes at all.big kms too.

·
Mildly Retarded
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pecee said:
why would you be getting that buildup of oil gunk.havent any of that happen on my intakes at all.big kms too.
Not entirely sure. I know that some amount of oil mist in the airbox is pretty common. I can only assume that it has built up, mixed with dust, and caked on.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
pecee said:
A lot of it is fuel carbon. The fuel is so well vaporized when it hits the valves and intake track that fuel carbon is a the result. It's the same thing BMW was having to do valve jobs on engines with 30k miles because the valves were getting so heavily coated with.

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
In the late '80s, Porsche suffered from the same problem as the BMW's, Max. The 911 Technical Director for Porsche Club of America, Bruce Anderson, owned a independent Porsche shop at the time and he wrote of an owner who brought in a 911S, and whose engine wouldn't start. After diagnosis, the engine appeared to have no compression...or very little. Upon tear down, they found that all the carbin build-up on the intake valves had all come off at one time...and the volume was so much, several of the valves were blocked open! They spent several hours trying to determine why and finally contacted the owner. Turns out the owner had noticed the degraded performance over time, and had used an old mechanics trick - automatic transmission fluid down the carburettor throats - to clean the valve deposits. Apparently, when the owner started pouring the tranny fluid down the carbs, naturally the engine stalled and rather than trying to feather the throttle, he just let the enigne die and kept pouring the tranny fluid down the intakes. It laid on the valves, and pooled in the cylinders. The fluid apparently worked so well, that all the carbon deposits simply fell off the intake valves. No real problems until he tried to start it...and since there's no piston-to-valve clearance in 911 engines...the blocked open valves came in contact with the pistons, and all hell broke loose.

Anyway the long and short of this is that Chevron (Standard Oil of California) began work on a product to clean these deposits off intake valves. Their product was named Techron, and basically Porsche engineers found it worked so well they began to recommend it to their owners. Now, for anyone who knows anything about the German people...for them to say anything is better than something they can make...that's saying something!!! I've used Techron for years in all my cars....street driven, hot rods, racecars, etc. It's good stuiff and does what it says. You can get it at Wally-world, and of course, most any Chevron station.

The only problem I see has already been pointed out. When mixed with fuel, the injectors are so far down the line it won't help the butterfly valves. Maybe someone could check out simply pouring a little down the intakes a little at a time to see if it cleaned them off as well as I think it might.

FWIW....even on my Cobra with it's Ford-based 393 Windsor...I squirt a little carb cleaner down the Holley 750, concentrating on the bores surrounding the butterflies from time to time. I'm suspecting even some carb cleaner down the intakes of our V-Rods on a regular basis...say every oil change... would help address this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts