Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is fairly new....1200 miles on it and this will be the third bulb that has blown out! So far it has taken a few weeks to a month or so to happen each time. Im not a super electrical head but i suspect the voltage regulator that supplies the running light. I dont have the elec manual to see the curcuit. Any way......any one else ever had this problem or know of anyone that has. Im thinking about buying the LED tail light kit (i dont think those will blow)...however not crazy about this minor problem and want to get it fixed before I do this. Yea i know...its covered under my warranty....and yes harley will fix it. Just a pain in my ass. Every thing else has worked just fine.
AND YES....AS YOU ALL KNOW...THIS BIKE IS BADASS....PEACE....SHELDON

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
With 1200 miles ... take it to the dealer and have them check the voltage regulator.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome, I used to have that problem on my sporty because of the vibration but my vrod hasn't blown a bulb yet.

·
Premium Member
5,721 Posts
Check the rear brake light switch. It could be touching the engine cover (though this would blow the fuse)........

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would demand they find the problem and stop fixing the symptom. Something is blowing those lamps, its not the lamps failing.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
I had a bad turn signal bulb (also a DX) It made or didn't make contact depending on vibration , weather or what color dress the neighbor was wearing. Made all the other bulbs act strange.

Since I found & replaced that bulb, no other problems at over 11,000.

well except the roving gas gauge, but tthats a different issue

·
Registered
552 Posts
Possibly somewhere in the circuit there is a poor connection creating resistance resulting in improper voltage to lights and prematurely burning them out.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
check for a bad bulb socket

if you want to check the charging system, just hook a volt meter up to the bike, while idling around 3k RPM for a few minutes... I'm not 100% sure on the spec, but I'm figuring that the voltage should be under ~14.1 volts.

Also, if in fact your output voltage is too high, you will toast most LED lights as well... except for those that use constant-current regulation... like the lights from Heavycycles or H-D (almost a shameless plug)... you can run ours up to ~24 volts with no problems... thought the rest of your bike's electrical system would probably have shut down way before that.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I have lost two front blinker bulbs one rear blinker bulb and a brake lighrt bulb. I replaced them with the coresponding number but in a LL from GE making sure the package said made in someplace but the asain crowd. Now I have not lost one since. I asume the bulbs that blew were made in tiawain. I say its the crappy bulbs that get used from a manufacturer that is watching every cent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts