Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
Did you do anything to adjust your speedometer after going to the 26 tooth?

Did you do your mods all at once or were you able to isolate the benefit of going to a 26 tooth?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never did recalibrate the speedo. I'm not going as fast as it says (I hope). Also went to a 200 Avon Cobra rear tire on a 5.5" dish "A" wheel, so it's taller just to screw with the speedo a little more.

Did the mods one at a time. Biggest difference was the pipe - made the whole bike. The 26t really does help with that "gut" feel, ready to rev now. Really wails at high speeds, not sure how many revs higher at different speeds. Seriously, if they made a 25t I would do that. But then I'm an ex drag racer and this is a toy to terrorize the neighborhood on, not a touring machine. Spends much of it's life going 0 - 80 and not so much time on the interstate.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
Quick question Z28, how much is your speedo off? When I switched to the Avons (a 180 on the rear) I noticed that my speedo was just a little bit off. Now that I am on a 200 rear I noticed it is at least 3 miles off for a 65 mile jaunt. What's the best way to calibrate this? I am guessing that because it takes longer for the wheel to do a full spin the speedo is reading a slower speed hence less miles. Or am I way off and the speedo is tied to the trans?

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
Never did recalibrate the speedo. I'm not going as fast as it says (I hope). Also went to a 200 Avon Cobra rear tire on a 5.5" dish "A" wheel, so it's taller just to screw with the speedo a little more.

Did the mods one at a time. Biggest difference was the pipe - made the whole bike. The 26t really does help with that "gut" feel, ready to rev now. Really wails at high speeds, not sure how many revs higher at different speeds. Seriously, if they made a 25t I would do that. But then I'm an ex drag racer and this is a toy to terrorize the neighborhood on, not a touring machine. Spends much of it's life going 0 - 80 and not so much time on the interstate.
You're running 92.857% of what the speedo says on the sprocket change alone, which translates speedo-reading of 65mph to actual speed of 60mph, not sure what the tire change captures back, but as you point it's not a big issue.:D :D:bolt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts