Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After painting a number of these I've finally got one. I was actually on a waiting list way back in 02 for one when they first came out but when my name came up I just couldn't pull the trigger. I bought a new truck instead(probably a wise decision at the time).

Thanks to forum member Pete711 I got a great deal on a perfect project. I've had if for a couple months but finally wrapped up some other projects. I've only ridden it 2 blocks and with only one foot peg so I can't wait until next spring.

Here's how it started. It's also on my new table lift, thanks to the wife for a nice Christmas present.

Right now I've got it partially torn apart, currently working on new bars(possibly clip-ons), new tail, new exhaust, cutting down the shocks, getting the lower frame rail fixed...

Possibly considering going back to the stock wheels. I've always liked the solid wheel look and might consider doing some custom painting on them, not sure yet. So I might have a nice set of custom wheels/tires/rotors/pulley for sale if anyone is interested.

More to come

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First questions. Can someone tell me what this is? All the rear light wiring goes into it and then comes back out and goes to the lights.

And what is this thing that is under the passenger seat? And why does it say "Do not relocate" on it?

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
with that cool new lift, I would HIGHLY recommend the service manuals for your model year. look on ebay and/or the classifieds on this site.
the second pict. is the TSSM, it has the tilt sensor in it, dont ask me how I know.
you can relocate it but it has to be facing in the same position as it is on your bike

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with that cool new lift, I would HIGHLY recommend the service manuals for your model year. look on ebay and/or the classifieds on this site.
the second pict. is the TSSM, it has the tilt sensor in it, dont ask me how I know.
you can relocate it but it has to be facing in the same position as it is on your bike
I figured it was something like that. Most sportbikes have got something similar. Thanks.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
that first picture is an aux/turn signal kit. basically changes the function of the rear turn signals into running lights as well as brake lights and turn signals.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that first picture is an aux/turn signal kit. basically changes the function of the rear turn signals into running lights as well as brake lights and turn signals.
Cool. So it doesn't have anything to do with the security system? I was thinking maybe it did and I didn't want to remove it.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
i dont think it does

i have one on mine

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For anybody wanting to cut down your shock springs here's a spring compresser I came up with using my bench vise and some scrap junk I had laying around the shop.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
your first pic is the run,turn,brake module. your rear turn signals have red lenses on the right? and the lights have 2 filaments in them. its a plug and play mod. they tend to go bad or short out. i went threw 2 before i got my led tail light.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your first pic is the run,turn,brake module. your rear turn signals have red lenses on the right? and the lights have 2 filaments in them. its a plug and play mod. they tend to go bad or short out. i went threw 2 before i got my led tail light.
Yes, rear turns are red lenses. Already have a led tail light. I'm probably going to get rid of this as I'll be going with some kind of custom rear fender/tail light/turnsignals. I just wanted to make sure it didn't have anything to do with the security system.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
where are you in MI?

If that's a direct lift (like mine) you'll love it, combine it with that blackjack in your pic and you have just made any project a dream!

Another forum member 'Nightmare" added clip ons, I'm pretty sure she posted pics and explained the custom touches they needed to mount on a vrod, a search through her threads should yield something of good use...

sweet project, keep us posted as she develops

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
I have a set of solid wheels that are nasty in appearance but if you were gonna PC or chrome them they'd be priced right.... could work a cheapo deal for them with or w/o the Avon tires on them... PM me if interested?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where are you in MI?

If that's a direct lift (like mine) you'll love it, combine it with that blackjack in your pic and you have just made any project a dream!

Another forum member 'Nightmare" added clip ons, I'm pretty sure she posted pics and explained the custom touches they needed to mount on a vrod, a search through her threads should yield something of good use...

sweet project, keep us posted as she develops
I'm just outside Shepherd.

Yep, Direct lift. Very well built. I love it already.

I've already got the clip-ons(off an R6). Just have to mod them a bit to work with the stock controls and such. Going to press 1" dia stainless steel tubing over them.

I have a set of solid wheels that are nasty in appearance but if you were gonna PC or chrome them they'd be priced right.... could work a cheapo deal for them with or w/o the Avon tires on them... PM me if interested?
I got the stock wheels with the bike so I'm all set, but thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clip-ons are mocked up. I reversed them from the way they go on the sportbike, left on the right and right on the left. That way they angle upward instead of down. Now either polish, paint or powdercoat them. Going to reroute the brake/clutch lines and probably go with braided. And figure out how to mount the gauges on top of the tree inbetween the forks.

Starting to look better

·
Registered
422 Posts
I like the look of those clip ons. Might have to rethink my drag bars. Which bars are those?
Your ride is coming along nicely...good luck with it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the look of those clip ons. Might have to rethink my drag bars. Which bars are those?
Your ride is coming along nicely...good luck with it.
Those clip-ons are off a 2005 Yamaha R6. They are 50mm so you'll have to make some shims so they will tighten up on 49mm forks. And then you'll need to slide some kind of 1" tubing over the stock clip-ons because most clip-ons are only 7/8" diameter and that won't work with most Harley controls. I used 1" stainless steel with an .060 wall thickness.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Those clip-ons are off a 2005 Yamaha R6. They are 50mm so you'll have to make some shims so they will tighten up on 49mm forks. And then you'll need to slide some kind of 1" tubing over the stock clip-ons because most clip-ons are only 7/8" diameter and that won't work with most Harley controls. I used 1" stainless steel with an .060 wall thickness.
Thanks for the info on the clip ons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking good already with those bars. Handle bar always single handedly change the look of a bike.

Cant wait to see the finished job. Keep posting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So what do those clip on grips go for and where do you get them?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts