Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought Id show off my slow but steady progress on my 03 ,

Made the plate bracket out of .125 5052 alum

Made the signals out of 1" 6061 alum (machined for correct width to replace the stock shock spacers and to allow the mini leds to to pocketed into the mounts so they are a little stronger)

Lowered the rear end with Harleys lowering shocks until I can get the oem rear shocks cut down (I like the stock shocks apperance much better)

Next up is extending my controls 4" farther forward (long legs) relocating the front signals and trying to figure out what to cut into my wheels.

Attachments

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
Just thought Id show off my slow but steady progress on my 03 ,

Made the plate bracket out of .125 5052 alum

Made the signals out of 1" 6061 alum (machined for correct width to replace the stock shock spacers and to allow the mini leds to to pocketed into the mounts so they are a little stronger)

Lowered the rear end with Harleys lowering shocks until I can get the oem rear shocks cut down (I like the stock shocks apperance much better)

Next up is extending my controls 4" farther forward (long legs) relocating the front signals and trying to figure out what to cut into my wheels.
Nice Job! "Clean" look to the whole bike!!

·
The Crusades
772 Posts
Could those turn signals be mounted on the license plate frame? I really like the looks of them and am going to remove my dog's rear - and I'd like to get turn sig's to mount on the license frame similar to what you have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
super stealth rear turn signals - NICE!!
Looking good - keep up the terrific mods!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could those turn signals be mounted on the license plate frame? I really like the looks of them and am going to remove my dog's rear - and I'd like to get turn sig's to mount on the license frame similar to what you have.
You could but it woudnt look as clean. I pocketed them into the alum by .200 deep and they have a threaded stud that comes off the signal to mount them. I think if you did the license plate w/o the shock signal mounts a custom dynamics light bar (tru flex) would be the way to go

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updates, new tail light shift side fwd extended controls are done on to the brake side now!

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the praise. Ive never build a cruiser before so im new to it all , i always had a sportbikes.

If it makes any sense lol : The backside of the extension is relieved .250 deep and the head of the part that mounts it to the frame is 1018 crs . With the flathead and the relief you would have to break the steel mount before the bolt. The peg itself is countersunk. 250 deep and uses a 3/8-16 flathead that is 1.5" long. Its surprisingly rigid. I should have posted pics of the individual parts so you could see. Its pretty deceiving in the pics - there is a significant amount of machining that went into them.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Nice job! So long as it is safe, and works, I like it! Looks terriffic! Keep on! Joe

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: put on over 800 miles this weekend, only problem besides pouring rain was I need to cross hatch the pegs, my feet kept slipping down. But with a stock seat and the location of the pegs I eliminated the Numb tailbone effect I was getting earlier. Far more comfortable positioning going down the road.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Updates, new tail light
Whats going on with the rear tail light - it looks like it matches the rear fender - did you paint/chrome the lens?
LOOKS GREAT!

·
Registered
90 Posts
^^ total hotness! I really like that and need to add that to my "gotta have" list.

I did a little reaearch and their product gets dinged on quality - did you encounter any issues during the instal or while in use?

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Not to butt in here, but I've been using a CA tail light with the smoked lense for years on my '02. I've read all the negative drivel about the quality of these lamps, but I have had no problems with mine. It installed just like the stocker, and works well. I frequently ride with a small group and have had no one tell me they couldn't see my lights. I'd buy another without thinking about it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not to butt in here, but I've been using a CA tail light with the smoked lense for years on my '02. I've read all the negative drivel about the quality of these lamps, but I have had no problems with mine. It installed just like the stocker, and works well. I frequently ride with a small group and have had no one tell me they couldn't see my lights. I'd buy another without thinking about it!
x2, Simple install , clean look and far brighter then stock. the only thing I didnt like was the contour of the fender is a little different from the contour of the tail light (can take pics ) but thats being really picky. its well worth the investment imo.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts