Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess you could call it a MegaLine. Taking a cue from FLEX400, I had a collector made rather than going the modded 3d volume (which I may eventually do anyway). Well, although the collector has a turn in it, it's still too straight to use the stock heat shield. I hand-formed a sheet of stainless steel and made a heat shield. It's about 14" long and wraps almost halfway around the pipes it covers. It anchors at a nut I had welded at the red dot in the second pic below...

At the rear, it rests on the can. It's fairly tight, but since it's so long, I think I need to anchor it towards the rear. I'm thinking about having 2 nuts welded flush on the leading edge of the can so 2 more bolts can secure at the green dots above and below...

Thoughts?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if you're using the top can, can you weld an arm onto the stock exhaust mounting plate to secure the pipe using the existing mounting points on the pipe?

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the collector in place, the can won't rise high enough to use the stock heat shield with a good cosmetic result. My hand-made shield actually looks more like this (I'll post actual pics later this afternoon)...

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put about 75 miles on it today w/no issues. I think polish and chrome and it's good to go...

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Nice job :notworth:

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Looks good. I'm anxious to see what it looks like when you have that shield chromed up.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It won't flow as nicely as the stock shield, but It'll do.

·
MWT I-III,V, KC '07
300 Posts
Looks great. Do you have any photos that were taken from the rear.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll get more after the heat shield has been chromed.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm gonna live with it for a while, then have a muffler shop put a bend in the collector then give the stock heat shield another try...it flows better

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't really tell much on the change in performance. I only have about 1000 miles riding experience on this V. But the sound is better than any I have heard, including my 2-can VMods and a CFR. The V&H Powershots I just sold had a great sound, but just too quiet for me.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I love it! I'm going to attempt this with the exception that I'll wrap the headers with header wrap all the way down and cover the collector.
given the humid area you live in, I would reconsider using pipe wrap.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
V Rod Love
13 Posts
Mega,
This is by far the best looking 2-1 utilizing the stock H-D can. Nice work and the finished product looks awesome.
One thing I would love to see is your mounting of the can and the view down the right side from the seat.
Kudos on this job and thanks for posting your work.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bike is all apart back there right now. I'm starting to install the Arnott's Ive had for years and replacing the rear tire, swingarm (with a PC'd one) and chopped belt guard. I'll post a pic after it's back together.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts