Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually get parts online (Chicago HD) but today I wanted to get a clutch cover gasket and an O ring gasket. MSRP is 17.50 for gasket and 4.25 for the O ring. My stealer, Fremont Harley wants 21.99 and 5.99. Luckily I have a few dealers in the area that sell parts at MSRP. It sucks that the dealer closest to my house jacks up prices. Got the parts at another dealer at MSRP.
Anyone else that run across dealers that jack up part prices?

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
McGuires in Walnut Creek, San Ramon, and Pittsburg... they mark up their parts 10%

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this is like a 25% and 40% mark up that is crazy. San Jose, Livermoore, and possibly Oakland sell at MSRP

·
Now on a VRSCDX!!!
604 Posts
I thought, and I am not 100% sure but I think heard HD gets VERY upset at dealers that boost prices on accessories and motor clothes except in very extreme cases

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
It's all a matter of supply and demand... That's why I mainly shop on the internet... Sure it may hurt the local economy, but it helps mine...:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had Fremont install my new wheels w/ a 200 Metz. Purchased the chrome spacers, belt gaurds, brake hardware and had them change that stuff out. They charged me MSRP on the parts but a ton of hours due to the grinding (they told me they cut 5 actual hours from the 10 I paid for) I embarrased to say how much. They really didn't want to do it as they said "I know about the forum and what is said about the job". All in all, they did a great job and even called me a few days after to see if I was happy. I guess it's who you talk to or maybe because the were doing the install.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
damn thats absolutely rediculous!!!!!!
i wouldnt go there to save my life if they were doing that crap

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Harley Davidson of Dallas in Allen Texas charged me $14.95 for a $10.95 gallon of anti freeze. They usually average about 25% above msrp on most items they have in either bubble wrap or in parts. They have to be one of the most outrageously priced dealers I have ever seen.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
Max said:
Harley Davidson of Dallas in Allen Texas charged me $14.95 for a $10.95 gallon of anti freeze. They usually average about 25% above msrp on most items they have in either bubble wrap or in parts. They have to be one of the most outrageously priced dealers I have ever seen.

Allen HD is the PITS... BOOOO-HISSSSSS....do not go there.

Now, Carrollton HD is nice :) (and the service dept manager has a VROD. A pretty sick VROD) :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am surprised to find out that so many dealers mark up parts. I live in Fremont and I will never get my bike serviced by Fremont unless it is a warranty or recall issue.

·
Jared
3,488 Posts
harley of slc does alright about this, it seems i always pay the same price that it says in my parts book, and harley of reno gives me a discount off MSRP, harley of slc gets me a deal on labor however, but still hard to pay their shop rate when i am a mechanic....but thats ridiculous they are jacking the price up as much as 25% like max said

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
So how does one know what MSRP is on parts? I have a parts catalog but it does not have prices. Zanotti's is MSRP - 20%. I guess I could figure it out from there.

·
Registered
591 Posts
RustyG said:
So how does one know what MSRP is on parts? I have a parts catalog but it does not have prices. Zanotti's is MSRP - 20%. I guess I could figure it out from there.
Zanotti's lists MSRP as well as the discount and subtotal.

·
Bad luck depository
545 Posts
DTHDOC said:
If you live in the Bay Area, Bob Dron is the best dealer to go to!
yep!

·
Silver Bullet
540 Posts
Shame on any dealer that marks up parts beyond MSRP. I would stop buying there immediatly. Most dealers do sell at MSRP. With the over supply of Harley's I am seeing bikes not only at MSRP but discounted from there. So go on line where there are many places that will give you 20% off. I have bought most parts that way. You get excellent service, genuine parts, and money in your pocket. What you pay for postage you generally save in sales tax.

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
ernie727 said:
I just had Fremont install my new wheels w/ a 200 Metz. Purchased the chrome spacers, belt gaurds, brake hardware and had them change that stuff out. They charged me MSRP on the parts but a ton of hours due to the grinding (they told me they cut 5 actual hours from the 10 I paid for) I embarrased to say how much. They really didn't want to do it as they said "I know about the forum and what is said about the job". All in all, they did a great job and even called me a few days after to see if I was happy. I guess it's who you talk to or maybe because the were doing the install.
My dealer also knocked a few hours off the maintainsnce. In a way what seems easy to do ends up pulling apart the bike to gain access. As long as the end result is as expected then I'm happy. Don't want to pay less and end up with something that doesn't work right. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Some dealers mark up items priced under $50.00. Alot of that stuff is expensive to stock and not purchased often so to justify taking up valuable shelf space dealers mark prices up. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it is a fact.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But that doesn't make sense when the dealer has to "special" order it and still has a mark up of 25-40%. It may be justification to them but not to the consumer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts