Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
IowaDiver
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding for a number of years... this is my first harley, and unfortunatly the experience I had been dreaming of has been really crappy. This is what I typed in my harley survey. Not sure of the forum rules, but I bought my bike new from the only dealer in Jacksonville Florida, and I would not reccomend visiting them to anyone... sales, service, parts, anything.

Survey Comments:

Both my fiance and I have dreamed of owning our first harley for many years...we both own/ride sport bikes and have been excited to get our first harley. she bought this bike for me as our wedding present, and the experience couldn't have been worse. We were made to feel very unappreciated, our sales experience and especially the receiving of the bike were very poor, primarily due to the salesman we had. The sale was easy... I walked in and said, "that is the bike I want, how do get make the purchase?" No negotiating, no questions, just an easy sale at 9:00 on a tuesday morning. Sale was completed by end of day including adding to the purchase a full competition exhaust, air cleaner, engine tuner and the service for install. Upon pickup, communication between the salesman and the service dept. were non-existent. The bike was not ready as promised, the service/install was no performed. We opted to pick up the bike anyway and schedule the service/install for a later date. When we arrived to pickup the bike, as communicated, the hand off/delivery was sloppy, short, and it was extremely obvious that our sales man, Ronnie, did not want to help us. (it was a beautiful day and the dealership was full of potential customers he could be selling to.) We were quickly rushed out, given very little instruction or explaination of the workings/features of the bike, the bike was dirty and unpresentable and our "dream come true" experience was ruined. Afterwards we were trying to get aftermarket performance parts added to the bike and the commuication between the salesman and the service department were nearly non-existent. After meeting with the customer service manager, to share our experience, things got even worse. We have owend our bike for not yet a month, it is currently at the dealership for the 4th time trying to get the service wrapped up and we have decided not to return to this dealership for future business.

Aside from these issues, which were purely the result of the service personell at the dealership, there have been issues with the bike itself. we were dissapointed that a section of the frame had damage to the powedercoating due to manufacturers instalation, which had to be replaced, and only 60 miles down the road on the first day of owning the bike we found engine oil streaming down the side of the engine due to a poorly assembled engine cylindar vaccum port. We also found the rear fender/licenseplate assemble to be coming apart and had to be removed and reinstalled by the dealership. The gas guage is very faulty and does not consistently read an accurate gas tank level.

Overall I am extremely dissapointed. I have dreamed of owning harley davidson since I was 14 years old. Now that I finally have one, I'm wondering if it was a wise purchase decision.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry about your experience. That really sucks. It's amazing how different dealerships can be. I just bought a used 2006 Vrod yesterday from a dealership in Illinois, 3 hours from where I live In Indiana. My experience was 100% the opposite of yours. They spent tons of time with me and my fiance, actually walking us from department to department to see if there was anything we wanted added on. Which really surprised me, as when I bought my Nightster new in 07 from my dealer, they didn't do anything like that. They currently still have the bike to change wheels, so hopefully thy experience is as good.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Harley doesn't send those survey's out for nothing.That dealer will get an ass chewing from hell,you can count on this.Maybe and I mean maybe,the worst thing that will happen is the salesman will be down at Honda when the factory people finish chewing the GM,F&I and other managers asses out,and count on iot,they will.They will also cut the dealers CSI score dramatically over just one negative survey,(CSI = Customer Satisfaction index,4.0 is the highest score.) My personal CSI score at GM was 3.96.Not bad at all for a heavy line tech.

I doubt you will ever know what happens,but like I say,that dealer WILL get an ass chewing,and when specific people see you around the dealer,they WILL talk behind your back and hate you,but that's to be expected.

·
Just Russian
51 Posts
Sad story. Sorry you had to deal with that.

I've bought a couple bikes at the Dealership I've gone to, and each time they've been pretty good to me.

The only issue on my Vrod was that they still haven't gotten me an owner's manual, because it was never shipped with the bike from their other dealership. It's on the way, though...

·
Registered
527 Posts
It was good to send the survey back with this information. Your experience would have been considered normal in 2003-2005 but not today.

If you haven't had them install the extras I would cancel them and get your refund. There is no reason to give them any more business.

·
IowaDiver
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I bought my hayabusa in 08' I was treated like royalty... when we bought our new 2010 F150 last fall, it took 3 hours to receive the truck... they went through everything with me from bumper to bumper. I told the customer service manager when we met with her that I didn't want anything from the situation. I wanted them to know how much of a special occasion this was supposed to be in our life (dream come true/wedding gift, etc) and how it was completely ruined. I told her the only reason I was there was to ensure this never happened to anyone else. The lady actually cried. I would have thought she would ensure my service experience after that conversation was over the top... very dissapointed that when I dropped the bike off yesterday she had never told the service people about doing a full detail cleaning of the bike since when I picked it up new it was dirty, finger prints, adhesive goo left in places where there must have been stickers from the manufacturer, etc.... I left extremely pissed and told the service guy to get the bike done, call me when it is ready and don't expect to see me again.

How frustrating.... not sure if you can call out specific dealerships on here, but my main reason for posting is to deter anyone from hitting this dealership... it is the only one in Jacksonville Florida... this family owns three locations in the area, but I don't mind riding down to daytona or gainesville for future purchases or service.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Man, I am lucky to live so close to Ithaca Harley Davidson. They really went out of their way to discuss the bike, tell me about the HOG organization, explain the warranty, etc. etc. When I have question I just go back in the shop and talk to the mechs.. When I left the dealership the day I went and picked up the bike they gave me a free T-shirt. About a week or two I recieved a package in the mail. It was a Plack with a picture of a Night Rod, the vin number and My name. I even got a screamin' deal on the bike to boot.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
When I bought my hayabusa in 08' I was treated like royalty... when we bought our new 2010 F150 last fall, it took 3 hours to receive the truck... they went through everything with me from bumper to bumper. I told the customer service manager when we met with her that I didn't want anything from the situation. I wanted them to know how much of a special occasion this was supposed to be in our life (dream come true/wedding gift, etc) and how it was completely ruined. I told her the only reason I was there was to ensure this never happened to anyone else. The lady actually cried. I would have thought she would ensure my service experience after that conversation was over the top... very dissapointed that when I dropped the bike off yesterday she had never told the service people about doing a full detail cleaning of the bike since when I picked it up new it was dirty, finger prints, adhesive goo left in places where there must have been stickers from the manufacturer, etc.... I left extremely pissed and told the service guy to get the bike done, call me when it is ready and don't expect to see me again.

How frustrating.... not sure if you can call out specific dealerships on here, but my main reason for posting is to deter anyone from hitting this dealership... it is the only one in Jacksonville Florida... this family owns three locations in the area, but I don't mind riding down to daytona or gainesville for future purchases or service.
Yeah, your sales representative really sucked!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Go back to the Owner of the place, and demand a refund! That will set the tone, and see how they treat you! My dealer is great - I would imagine he would flip out just hearing the story! I would insist they make it right. Document every issue, and contact HD in Milwaukee. In today's economy, you should be treated a lot better! Sorry this happened to you. Congratulations anyway!

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
This all sounds so normal as it has happened way too many times for Tam and I.
Surprisingly, we are buying new BMW's. The Manager called the other day and said that they were sending an invitation for a wine/cheese get together at the dealership. To be followed by a thorough walk through and Q & A session about the new scoots.
I am not saying that the wine and cheese makes the whole situation, rather it is the attention to detail in the sale of a new motorcycle.
Jim

·
MYDRM
261 Posts
Harley dealer

Just yesterday I went to our closest Harley dealer. I have been there through the winter and many times they have been closed before the posted time? I think the owners are gone to a warmer state and left these guys in charge... More then once I have been there with kids running around and climbing on bikes and 2 dogs running around in the store also. I wasn't sure if I was at a Harley shop or a 3 ring circus. Needless to say we left without purchasing a thing. That pretty rare for me. I hope they get there:stac: together soon and get things back in order. Its bad enough to bring your kids to work but the family pets also.....:mad:

·
Livin the dream
261 Posts
Well thats a lousy way to start off with the new toy. At least you have found a place where you will get the support and wisdom you need on this forum. I have been on for about 1 1/2 years and have asked some really stupid questions, with nothing but solid support.

Welcome! It can only get better from here.

About the dealer, it couldn't hurt to try to get a hold of the owner.

Or call Harley.... from their website...

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer care representative please call 1-800-258-2464 or (414) 343-4056. Representatives are available Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Central Standard Time (CST).

Sorry, we're unable to receive e-mail at this time.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Talk to the dealers general manager and also Harley customer service about the issues.
When I pick up my bike from Orlando Harley the thing has been spit shined. A day or so later I get a call from their Customer Representative and If I complain about anything, no mater how trivial, I will get a call from the service manager within the hour.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
This all sounds so normal as it has happened way too many times for Tam and I.
Surprisingly, we are buying new BMW's. The Manager called the other day and said that they were sending an invitation for a wine/cheese get together at the dealership. To be followed by a thorough walk through and Q & A session about the new scoots.
I am not saying that the wine and cheese makes the whole situation, rather it is the attention to detail in the sale of a new motorcycle.
Jim
Isnt that really nice? To be treated like a "Grown Up" and not some Lunkhead? Pro Italia is a Ducati, Aprilla, Guzzi dealership thats 10 miles from my house, I go there often, They invite me to all their cocktail parties, New Bike reveals etc.. and they have the Best Bike show twice a year where they close down the neighborhood and people come from 100's of miles around to this really High Class event. Now they know I dont own a Ducati, I do own several of their dealership shirts, most bought because the money went to a charity or something. I was there yesterday, they had a really great Pro Italia shirt that was being offered and the profits go to a japanese relief fund. Its a Business and I am treated like I should be, a Customer. Do they see me ride up on one of the 2 HD's I ride? Yes, the Techs always come out to look at the Revo motor. Its a Business, the owner comes over and says Hello when He is there, they answer all questions, offer you coffe etc... Not Vending Machines and Hotdogs in a parking lot. As I cashed out yesterday the woman behind the counter noticed I didnt have a frequent customer account set up, I said I dont own a bike from them and she didnt care, She took 15 minutes to set it up, explain the points system to me and said I would be emailed later that day, I got home to a "Welcome" email.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I only have nothing but positive things to say about two HD dealerships of the 30 or so I have been too. New Castle HD (PA) and Glendale Harley (CA). On the flip side, I've been to 100s of non HD dealerships and only have 1 that is bollocks in my book.
I guess I don't expect and do not care for, being treated like teenaged dolt. Especially when I pull in on one of your bikes.

·
Now on a VRSCDX!!!
604 Posts
When I bought my 04 Softail the dealership treated me like a clown a year later when I bought my 05 VRSCSE from the same dealer I was treated like a prince I asked one of the dudes in the shop what had happened and they said they had gotten NAILED by the MoCo on this customer surveys and almost lost the franchise just so you know those things make a WORLD of difference when you fill them out

·
IowaDiver
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ironically the owner did call me several days after I bought the bike. I was at work and unable to talk but told him I had some unfortunate concerns about my experience and wanted to discuss it with him. There is a lady dedicated to customer relations and instead I met wit her. I think I would be happy if they just told me what they paid in comission to my salesman and instead donated the money to a charity of my choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You're right to fill out that survey and let them know. A company that sells their products at premium prices should give premium service.

When I decided I was going to buy my V-rod, I went to the local dealership and the experience was a huge time waster, they just weren't listening so I found a used one at a Victory dealer - and at this place they knew how to treat a person.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Walked into New Castle HD March 2007, hell bent on purchasing a Dyna or Sportster. The VERY knowledgeable sales chick (Nancy) saw me going from bike to bike and suggested I take a test sit on the VRSC lineup. I put the deposit down on the bike that same day.
About 500 miles later I blew a fork seal and called them up late Saturday, (1800 about). They sent the trailer to pick up the bike from the house the same day and offered me a loaner. I declined since I was heading to the west coast for a week. When the bike was done they called me and offered to deliver.
This is the type of customer service I assumed was the "norm" for HD, instead it is the exception. I greatly enjoy my bike, but will NEVER purchase another HD unless I can purchase & have it serviced by New Castle HD.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts