Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

I'm new to this forum so hopefully this topic hasn't been beaten to death but I have an 09 Muscle and as I'm sure most would agree lighting is terrible. I'm from B.C. Canada and in my area there's a ton of wildlife and I really need a better option. I noticed a few people on the forum recommended DDM tuning. After speaking with them they suggested the Saber series LED as their best bulb. The only issue seems to be they protrude 1.5" out the back and after removing my headlight and seeing possible cable and wire interference I'm not sure if they'll work? Has anyone out there actually installed these exact bulbs in a Muscle headlight and could give me some feedback on clearance and performance? I'm also looking at the possibility of using HID lows and LED highs due to the lag time with the HID's. When I flick bright I want full power instantaneously. Lastly, has anyone hooked their system up so both bulbs come on when you hit the brights? Is it possible? Thanks for any feedback or other suggestions you may have.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,129 Posts
Clarification: FBJ Mod was figured out with HID's in mind. I'd imagine it would work for LED's, but I can't guarantee that since I've never tested it.

I like SoCalMotoGear's dual-bulb HID kit, but that's just a personal preference. I blew through three DDM kits, but maybe I just had a run of bad luck.

R.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Clarification: FBJ Mod was figured out with HID's in mind. I'd imagine it would work for LED's, but I can't guarantee that since I've never tested it.

R.
Works great with LEDs. I've got Opt-7 LEDs in both bulbs and the high/low bridge mod. It's like FLAMETHROWERS with the high beam (both bulbs).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all three of you guys for the great info. Good to hear from some guys with first hand experience with these products wrather than just the manufacturer spouting all the benefits with more than likely no experience with my specific application. I checked out the SoCal's, looks like a good option as well. Leads me to a couple questions though..... With the dual HID kit do you experience any significant lag time on your HI beam ignition/full illumination? Not too worried bout the LO's just a quick HI beam response. And with the dual LED setup what's the offset of those particular bulbs rearward? Apparently the Sabers stick an 1.5" out the back with the fan module so if your in that range and your running them on a Muscle sounds like I wouldn't have to worry about clearance issues. Unfortunately with the Sabers (LED'S) I'd still need to find a place for little ballast type units (look pretty small), I'll find a home for them and hopefully still have room for the compressor on some air shocks I've got planned. I may just do both and try HID's for LO's and the LED's for HI's as there instant on/off. I'm definitely gonna go with that HI/LO mod that's a great tip and some solid instructions! Anyway glad to hear you guys are happy with both options! Lemme know what you think about those questions I posted when you get a chance and I'll keep you posted and pic'd when I'm all done!

Thanks again!

·
Departed the Fix.
5,129 Posts
No real lag time at all with the SoCal kit high's-- maybe (?) a second or so to full illumination. Very pleased with it. Slimline ballasts are a necessary evil but since I'm running topless, I just mounted them in the air box. If you are not topless, I'd recommend dremel'ing a small notch in the lower airbox-- take off the top, feed the wires through the notch, reinstall the top. Problem solved.

Good luck. Figuring out the mods is part of the fun.

R.

·
Registered
402 Posts
HID Lights

Hey everybody!

I'm new to this forum so hopefully this topic hasn't been beaten to death but I have an 09 Muscle and as I'm sure most would agree lighting is terrible. I'm from B.C. Canada and in my area there's a ton of wildlife and I really need a better option. I noticed a few people on the forum recommended DDM tuning. After speaking with them they suggested the Saber series LED as their best bulb. The only issue seems to be they protrude 1.5" out the back and after removing my headlight and seeing possible cable and wire interference I'm not sure if they'll work? Has anyone out there actually installed these exact bulbs in a Muscle headlight and could give me some feedback on clearance and performance? I'm also looking at the possibility of using HID lows and LED highs due to the lag time with the HID's. When I flick bright I want full power instantaneously. Lastly, has anyone hooked their system up so both bulbs come on when you hit the brights? Is it possible? Thanks for any feedback or other suggestions you may have.
I've been running the HID conversion with the mod so both are lit up when on high. Some guys are saying they have had negative experiences with the HID's but I've been running this way for 4 years no issues. Check my posts. I have pics of before & after and I think I also put up some pics of the installation.

·
Asatruar
2,903 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! Nice find bro! How on earth I entered Vrod headlights blah blah into Google more times than I can count and never came across that gem is beyond me? Are you running that lamp on your ride or is anyone else out there? What do you think? It didn't list any reviews on the website that I saw but I havnt had a chance to dig into it much. Might be the answer to my problem with some updated styling for sure. Just hoping it performs as well as it looks. Before this find I had narrowed it down to either the OPT 7 which you guys had suggested or the Kensun kit which gets great reviews as well. I've realized with the reflector housing it's really key to have the placement of the LED diode itself as close to where the filament was on the origional halogen bulb. The OPT 7 seems to have really addressed that problem well...BTW Maaaaybe a stupid question but can anyone tell me why all these companies find it nessesary to have an aluminum carrying case that makes you look like Pablo Escobar arriving at a drug meet with a Pelican brief case filled bundles of cash? Lol Jezuz I think I'd be ok with a well packaged cardboard box and $15 off the pricetag!? I'm not sure when I'd use it after I installed the things. Am I missing something here?

C

·
Registered
402 Posts
Aussie LED Headlight

Wow! Nice find bro! How on earth I entered Vrod headlights blah blah into Google more times than I can count and never came across that gem is beyond me? Are you running that lamp on your ride or is anyone else out there? What do you think? It didn't list any reviews on the website that I saw but I havnt had a chance to dig into it much. Might be the answer to my problem with some updated styling for sure. Just hoping it performs as well as it looks. Before this find I had narrowed it down to either the OPT 7 which you guys had suggested or the Kensun kit which gets great reviews as well. I've realized with the reflector housing it's really key to have the placement of the LED diode itself as close to where the filament was on the origional halogen bulb. The OPT 7 seems to have really addressed that problem well...BTW Maaaaybe a stupid question but can anyone tell me why all these companies find it nessesary to have an aluminum carrying case that makes you look like Pablo Escobar arriving at a drug meet with a Pelican brief case filled bundles of cash? Lol Jezuz I think I'd be ok with a well packaged cardboard box and $15 off the pricetag!? I'm not sure when I'd use it after I installed the things. Am I missing something here?

C
Yeaaah...I had a look at this also. If I didn't already have my HID system I think I'd definitely go this route. Plug and play & all. As long as it's a real improvement over the crappy stock light. Anybody got any reviews or anyone done an installation with before and after comparisons?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I make a Daymaker mount that will improve your lighting significantly. The main difference between an HID/LED bulb and a daymaker is that the daymaker has optics designed to handle the dispersion of the beam pattern correctly. The beam pattern is actually the main difference between cheap daymakers and expensive daymakers. The stock housing does not control the beam pattern correctly for HID/LED bulbs. This can cause the pattern to shine upwards too much and cause an issue with oncoming traffic. The bulb option is considerably cheaper and just as bright but the pattern is not nearly as good. http://www.alteredstatedesign.net/daymaker

-Keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I make a Daymaker mount that will improve your lighting significantly. The main difference between an HID/LED bulb and a daymaker is that the daymaker has optics designed to handle the dispersion of the beam pattern correctly. The beam pattern is actually the main difference between cheap daymakers and expensive daymakers. The stock housing does not control the beam pattern correctly for HID/LED bulbs. This can cause the pattern to shine upwards too much and cause an issue with oncoming traffic. The bulb option is considerably cheaper and just as bright but the pattern is not nearly as good. http://www.alteredstatedesign.net/daymaker

-Keith
Hey Keith

Thanks for another option to lighten my pocket book! Lol. Honestly though I appreciate it, looks amazing as well. I did consider everything you had mentioned but was hoping the tech in the OPT-7 filament placement would compensate for that? Dunno maybe not... Anyway Do you think there is a significant difference in the 'directional' lighting of the more expensive day maker?(changes pattern while turning)... I don't mind spending the $$$ if it's truly worth while. I'm am aggressive rider that comes from motocross and street bike Racing growing up and this is my first cruiser, must be why I was so attracted to the Vrod's kinda hybrid power and styling with some comfort factor. I do ride a lot at night as well . Also do you have any pics of that light on a Muscle without the fairing? Maybe a side profile? One of the aesthetic things I do like about the stock lighting and the hog light is the slanted profile to it. Seems like that particular lamp, to be most effective would have to face forward with a flat profile? Is that the case? Just thought some pics on my actual bike would give me a better idea if you had some available. As mentioned I have an 09 Muscle although I don't think the year really matters just the body style and lack of fairing... thanks again for the great info and another option . That's really another great option!

Curtis

·
Registered
447 Posts
I just ordered the Hoglights LED headlight for my 09 Muscle last week.

I will take pictures/report on performance when it arrives (hoping in the next few weeks, but I suspect they are on vacation as I'm not getting much response right now).

SHOULD be great. The specs match the Daymaker/JW Speaker lights as well (at least according to their website published specs.

Price was $289 shipped. Now if I receive it...............

·
Registered
259 Posts
Couple option.
Hi, last bike I had I mounted an LED Spot/splash for the front. Put it basically under the headlight aiming down a little. Made me more visible. Also really lit up the road surface in front of me (potholes, etc) and the shoulders (critters). I used a kuryakyn Fused-relayed- harness that connects into an ignition-on wire with an on/off handlebar switch. Loved it.
I just bought one to mount on my new to me 06 D. I'll mount it up on the fork cross bar under the main headlight. This one is 8x5w Cree LED's - 6.5 "wide. 40 watts 4000 lumen. $20.00
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331928437893?rmvSB=true

Custom Dynamics makes a VROD LED Brake Light and other goodies. So I'll have a LED Splash up front and the led Tail light that requires no load Balancer. I think I can go with the LED Taillight, and also set of LED Turn signal mirrors w/o the added expense of the load balancer by leaving the original TS Lights alone and still connected.

Just my 2 Cents..

Custom dynamics also makes LED Inserts or full bullet style replacements for the Turn signals Call Dynamic Rings.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Feudie1 - I'd like to know how that goes and see some pictures when your done. I'm looking for a new lighting solution as well.
Will do. Spoke with the owner, it should be on it's way mid next week. Said he has over a year of development into it. I'm hoping it fits as described. No brainer purchase for Muscle owners if it does!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I looked at the Hoglights website and from the link Thunderdemon posted, and looked at the picture they have for an example. I have a VRod VRSCF model, so I'm curious as to how they will mount/look on the F. Freudie1 you have the F right? Thunderdemon, I'm interested in how the headlight looks on your bike too!!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I looked at the Hoglights website and from the link Thunderdemon posted, and looked at the picture they have for an example. I have a VRod VRSCF model, so I'm curious as to how they will mount/look on the F. Freudie1 you have the F right? Thunderdemon, I'm interested in how the headlight looks on your bike too!!
it has the same oval shape as the stock headlight and will fit the F an later model NRS with this same headlight,I already have a headlight cowl from MS-biketec for my stock headlight for that oval shape so I hope it fits nice in there...can't wait to get it,he said it would be shipped before Christmas,will see how long it takes to arrive here in Belgium

1 - 20 of 100 Posts