Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Saw my Bike and Engine gutted. The prognosis is that the Shift Rod was installed Incorrectly in turn making the Shift Drum out of alignment causing the Shift Forks to eventually Gauge a large indentation in the drum especially in the Second and Fifth gear position. This also caused the Teeth on my Gear to loose their Sharpness and the edges are worn away and of course the Shift forks are bent. one of the bearing Alignment pins was also missing. Never again will I go to a dealership to have my bike worked on except for Tire install. That Drum is damn Hard and Heavy and thats why it took so many miles to start to fail.
(Some terms in here may be in correct due to my bad memory for detail)
Parts are ordered now I wait more.
What a relief it was to talk with someone who knows their wa around the engine, and this was His assistant not the Head Mech. This kid cannot be more than 20 years old.

Attachments

·
Safe and sound
4,589 Posts
Is the pic big enough? Can everybody see it O.K.?:stooge:

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Youngzee said:
Is the pic big enough? Can everybody see it O.K.?:stooge:
Will everyone just download Firefox and get with the times please. Firefox will automatically make the image proper size for your monitor/ web browser. And if you want it Actual size you just click on it. IE, Safari, Opera, Netscape (for you old men that refuse to change) are all shite!
http://firefox.org.nz/

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
o2man98 said:
David, what parts have they ordered and what is on backorder?

I wish you a speedy recovery.
That wasnt clear today, I will know tomorow. The Asst ordered almost everything for tomorrow and thinks everything else should be in Friday.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
luxlamf said:
That wasnt clear today, I will know tomorow. The Asst ordered almost everything for tomorrow and thinks everything else should be in Friday.
OK, well I have a Shift Actuator Assembly & Drum Assembly Part No. 35017-01K that I will not use for a couple months. If yours is delayed, you pay the shipping and I will send it out to you. When yours comes back just send me that one in exchange. :D

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
o2man98 said:
OK, well I have a Shift Actuator Assembly & Drum Assembly Part No. 35017-01K that I will not use for a couple months. If yours is delayed, you pay the shipping and I will send it out to you. When yours comes back just send me that one in exchange. :D
Very nice of you, I will let you know. Thanx Ken! I gotta say the inside of the Engine looked CLEAN. I am going to keep using that amsoil.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
luxlamf said:
Will everyone just download Firefox and get with the times please. Firefox will automatically make the image proper size for your monitor/ web browser. And if you want it Actual size you just click on it. IE, Safari, Opera, Netscape (for you old men that refuse to change) are all shite!
Got news for you bucko, some of us use Firefox and NO it doesn't make the image the proper size...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
David that is one of the old shift drums, I thought yours had been updated long ago?

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
stever975 said:
Try right clicking the image and pick "View Image".
That's not the issue. The embedded picture in the post is huge.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
luxlamf said:
I pity any person on here with dial up and having to wait 5 mins for that huge picture to load to be able to view the thread. It's just a courtesy to resize the image for quicker page loading times.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
o2man98 said:
Max, how do you tell the difference between the new and old drums?

The new drum has one guide pin that extends all the way through the front gear. It is my guess the gear on his drum is the problem with his trans. They stated the alignment wasn't correct meaning the gear has probably shifted.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Max said:
David that is one of the old shift drums, I thought yours had been updated long ago?
Yeah so did I, Apparently all the Good Words and recomendations I have been giving out for the Dealership I use to go to where a mistake. The engine has Never been Opened up prior to this (The last time they said it had been hence the 3 weeks to fix it) and all the parts I was told that where replaced where not (Maybe billing the warranty Co. for stuff not done, or perhaps since He owned a 2002 vrod also replaced the parts on his own bike and said they where mine). They did a Quick fix by rewmoving what they could with the engine still intact. I know for a fact that the Shift Rod was put in backwards cuz it screwed many more things up.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LL Cool K said:
That's not the issue. The embedded picture in the post is huge.
Well in this case I wanted it to be Huge-O the Clown so that people like Max could get a good look at the broken parts and give me some advice as they are now doing. But I have gone back and adjusted for all you Mid Westerners.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Max said:
The new drum has one guide pin that extends all the way through the front gear. It is my guess the gear on his drum is the problem with his trans. They stated the alignment wasn't correct meaning the gear has probably shifted.
I have the 2002 Service manual, does anyone have a picture from a new manual that shows the updated Shirt Drum?

·
George
5,411 Posts
Spaz said:
I pity any person on here with dial up and having to wait 5 mins for that huge picture to load to be able to view the thread. It's just a courtesy to resize the image for quicker page loading times.
Ahhhh That would be me!:banghead: :banghead:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
David, this is just a wild guess but the shift rod can go either way and not really make a difference. We might be talking about two different pieces here. The shift rod as I refer to it is the rod that holds the shift forks, you then have a rod that goes through the shift drum. The shift arms cannot be put in backwards they just won't go that way. Unless I miss my wild ass guess your shift drum is bad and causing the alignment issue they speak of. I honestly don't see any real wear on your trans gears but then I'm looking at just a picture and it's hard to say.

Maybe this picture of the end of an updated shift drum will lead you down the path of motor salvation. Notice the pin sticking all the way through the gear, that is how they keep the new gears aligned, the old ones like yours were known to turn and let the trans come out of gear.

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Oh and that is the kick ass airbox cover the guys at the plant provided for me in the background.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts