Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Wararnty Work being done on my bike as the Tranny has failed, so I called the Shop (Not a Dealership) today and He informed me that it appears that my Engine Has NEVER been out of the bike (Even though the Dealership supposedly replace my entire Tranny 10,000 miles ago under warranty) so the Engine is Out and upside down in many pieces. I am going down Monday to see the progress.
He asked me today a very good question, The biggest expense of doing inner Engine repair is of course the labor on taking it out and replacing it, That is being paid for by the warranty Service of course, but He asked me since Its out and open I should do any Upgrades Now I want to because its a great opportunity for me to get it done inexpensevly due to Labor being covered.
What would anyone here who is knowledgeable about the 2002 engine recommend I have installed in this situation? The bike has 44K miles and runs very well (except for the slipping Tranny of course) He has recommeded some "Racing" Upgrades that I am not so interested in that I do not Race but if anyone here has some input I would appreciate it so I can go down Monday and sound like I know something.

Thanx For Listening.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Shift kit and shift fork upgrade for sure. Might as well do the bearings and seals while it is open.

I just did all of this by myself. Cost me 495$ total and that included 90 dollars worth of coolant pipes as my rocker box rubbed a hole in one. (Have that looked at as well - inner coolant pipe)

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
myvrodrocks said:
Shift kit and shift fork upgrade for sure. Might as well do the bearings and seals while it is open.

I just did all of this by myself. Cost me 495$ total and that included 90 dollars worth of coolant pipes as my rocker box rubbed a hole in one. (Have that looked at as well - inner coolant pipe)
He is upgrading my Shifter kit to the Destroyer Kit, He says its much stronger than stock, I will have him check out the Bearings and seals too. Thanx!

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
Did you ever have the motor mount, and the fuel lines updated? Might want to do that while the engines out.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
parkus said:
Did you ever have the motor mount, and the fuel lines updated? Might want to do that while the engines out.
I did the Lines myself and had the Mounts installed during my last big service.

·
Registered
271 Posts
How 'bout a "stroker kit" to bring some torque down lower in the power band ?
This Bflo. native would take advantage of the situation in a heartbeat.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seabee said:
How 'bout a "stroker kit" to bring some torque down lower in the power band ?
This Bflo. native would take advantage of the situation in a heartbeat.
Let me go down to the Anchor Bar and think about it.
I do not know what a stroker kit is, I will inquire.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
I would just have it taken out to a 1250 with the screamin eagle heads and cams.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spaz said:
I would just have it taken out to a 1250 with the screamin eagle heads and cams.
I would like the bike back sometime THIS MONTH. Plus I do have 4 month left on the warranty.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
luxlamf said:
I would like the bike back sometime THIS MONTH. Plus I do have 4 month left on the warranty.
It should be all bolt in stuff.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think it still depends on how much money you want to spend. While you will save the engine remove . install....high performance parts are still not cheap.

If you do have it stroked you are going to need a new crank , pistons/rods as well as some head work to support that. Then there comes teh larger throttle body and so on.

I am no expert and have looked at performance upgrades all over this site...I think Ken Olive has a pretty decent low budget big bore kit going, might want to ask him for a parts list.

I also saw a destroyer crank for sale on here and I do know from max that you can get pistons with the wrist pins located so you dont need new rods.

I suspect vinny and frank would be good ones to talk to on this as well.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vesteroid said:
I think it still depends on how much money you want to spend. While you will save the engine remove . install....high performance parts are still not cheap.

If you do have it stroked you are going to need a new crank , pistons/rods as well as some head work to support that. Then there comes teh larger throttle body and so on.

I am no expert and have looked at performance upgrades all over this site...I think Ken Olive has a pretty decent low budget big bore kit going, might want to ask him for a parts list.

I also saw a destroyer crank for sale on here and I do know from max that you can get pistons with the wrist pins located so you dont need new rods.

I suspect vinny and frank would be good ones to talk to on this as well.
I dont want to Bore it out etc.... I have no interest in a little more Speed and Torque, mine is fine at 110hp and 89FT, I was really wondering about Little things either High performance or just OEM replacements that are now easily excessable due to the Bottom being removed.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Since you have it apart and are doing the trans work I would upgrade to the '08 slipper clutch OR replace the existing clutch package with new stock disks and an AIM pressure plate. Anything else will mean getting into the top end and that will set you back a lot of money and time.

See this thread for the '08 clutch part numbers: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72594&highlight=08+clutch

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Warrantys are overrated......until you need them.

·
orig member feb 2004
724 Posts
I have some Wararnty Work being done on my bike as the Tranny has failed, so I called the Shop (Not a Dealership) today and He informed me that it appears that my Engine Has NEVER been out of the bike (Even though the Dealership supposedly replace my entire Tranny 10,000 miles ago under warranty
In order for the dealership to be paid by the factory for warranty work,
They must send all parts and gaskets back,esp. the trans.If you had
problems with your trans there is know other fix other than replacing it.
Be happy it appears to have not been removed,there are people here
that are experiencing having there bikes put back together in less than
an acceptable manner.:D
Oh ya check valve lash before you reinstall.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
mjw930 said:
Since you have it apart and are doing the trans work I would upgrade to the '08 slipper clutch OR replace the existing clutch package with new stock disks and an AIM pressure plate. Anything else will mean getting into the top end and that will set you back a lot of money and time.

See this thread for the '08 clutch part numbers: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72594&highlight=08+clutch
That's what I was thinking.Boring and stroking will take time(weeks).Do the tranny upgrades.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CRAZY CLIVE said:
do something with the clutch, an S.E clutch or barnett would be go for future upgrades.
I changed out my Clutch Plates 4000 miles ago to Barnett soi I think it should be fine for a couple 1000 more.

I appreciate the replies but now realize If I add to this project I will not see my bike for MONTHS because He will have to order parts. I will see Monday what it looks like in there.

Thanx

1 - 20 of 26 Posts