Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
A quick couple of things to help you guys apply them and not feel like you're going to ruin them on the first try.

1) Cutting it out.
I cut these in batches of 4 and 8 to maximize how many I could fit in a strip. So some of them are very close and some have bigger spaces between. I figured most people were capable of splitting them up themselves.
The cleanest way to split it is to cut a line as close to the letters and following the same curve. Similar to the top of this one and also where the black line is drawn.

For the bottom one, I'd cut the mask close to the top of the letters as well. Now don't go cutting so close that you clip your letters. The reason I want you guys to cut it this way is because the rim has sort of a compound curve. The more masking you have, the less it'll flex with both curves.

2) When applying, I find it's best to line up your sticker above the rim, and apply it in the middle first and work your way out. This goes for most of the vinyl I apply. I usually line it up, press the middle down lightly, and then press one side down carefully to make sure it's following the curve of the rim, and then press the other side. There is some leeway with the mask. Meaning you can bend and flex it a little if you have to. I went thru multiple copies to get the curve right so I hope it translates into the ones that I cut.

3) Blackout strips. The blackout strips are a hair over 1/8" thick I believe. Basically just peel off a strip and start on the red line anywhere. Take your time to make sure you bend the vinyl enough to follow the curve, but not too much where it puts a crease/fold in the strip. There should be more than enough strips in those kits to be able to screw up a complete side of 1 tire. When starting from one strip to another, just place it over the previous strip a few mm or so. It's flat, and I guarantee once it's done it'll blend in so well you've have trouble spotting the black vinyl from 5 feet away.

Also, 1 more thing. The heat from being outside sometimes tends to make the masking bubble up a little. When I put some vinyl on the passenger seat of my hot car, it literally takes like, 10-20 seconds and it starts to bubble up. It's not a big deal. Just use a credit card and press the mask back, smearing the bubbles to the outside edges of the vinyl.

If you've got pics, post em up :)
Also if there's any constructive criticism, I don't mind it. Remember, this is just vinyl. It's not permanent. Which is why I love it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I use Oracal 651 Intermediate cal for 95% of what I do. It's UV protected with an outdoor life of 5-7 years. I've got some red decals that I put on my car when I got it in 2008 and they still look the same as when I put em on 4 years ago.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As with the deal...here's a couple of pics. As stated, the blackout does a superb job of blending in. Only thing that would make it better if the blackout was reflective, but I can't be complaining since this was paid and sponsored by acid666.

Warning: Excuse the Duncrap

Thanks man.
:grouphug

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
As with the deal...here's a couple of pics. As stated, the blackout does a superb job of blending in. Only thing that would make it better if the blackout was reflective, but I can't be complaining since this was paid and sponsored by acid666.

Hey, I like that!! I didn't think of using blackout to just do the area around the emblem.

I wonder if I could get cool guy Acid666 to send me just enough of that blackout tape to do around the emblems he sent me????:stilpoke:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That's actually realllllly pimp man. I wouldn't of considered that either. Looks f'n awesome man! Glad it came out clean.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys, I received mine today. I didn't ask for the blackouts which I think looks better. I put the first one on with the stripes and didn't care for how it looked with the stripe when you don't have the blackouts. So I moved it down on the rim and it looks really good. I just did one on each side of the front rim. So I have an extra one left. If someone has a problem with one of theirs and needs it let me know and I will mail it to you. Anyways other than my mistake of putting it on the stripe, these are Awesome!!! Thanks Acid666!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Attachments

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
Put mine on today... love 'em. Might need some more, as a matter of fact. Even the wife agreed they looked good.

·
Captain DeadPool
654 Posts
DAMNIT....I am currently punching myself in my balls for missing out on this....I don't remember where I was, but I sure as hell know where I wasn't..... That is some sweet vinyl, and I will be on the next list, paid or otherwise. GOOD JOB Acid666

·
Registered
69 Posts

Thanks man.
:grouphug
Mate, what make is the side mount plate, part number , web link etc, and have you some pics showing how it fastens to the bike ? cheers.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts