Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a custom V-Rod thread I'm going to unleash here in about two weeks that should raise some eyebrows, but this isn't a V-Rod story - although there's some foreshadowing! :)

I have an Orange County Chopper - was built on-air in 2007 by Paulie Jr. It's a cool bike and really turns heads.

On Tuesday, May 8th, I was driving home from work in stop-and-go traffic doing about 40 mph when traffic came to a QUICK stop.

Now, I wasn't exactly tailgating the car in front of me, but since that chopper doesn't stop nearly as quickly as most bikes I'll admit I was following closer than I should have been...

I got the bike down to about 20mph before dodging into the center turn lane, which was empty (had an exit path & plan!), but another thing those choppers don't do is quick turns...

So, after the quick-left to get in the turn lane, the quick-right to stay in the lane toppled me over and laid the bike down.

Broke three ribs (which hurt), shoulder blade (which Hurts) and collarbone (which HURTS) and skinned the left side of the bike up a little but - but surprisingly little damage to the bike.

Doctor wouldn't do immediate surgery on the collarbone because "sometimes these things pull themselves back together".

Well, after a week of alternating Percocet and Norco every three hours, the doctor decided surgery WAS in order - so put in a metal strip with eight screws into the clavicle.

I'm now a little more than a week past surgery and feeling a LOT better, but of course "better" is a relative term. Left arm still in a sling and nearly immobile, but finally off the prescription pain meds and looking forward to getting stitches out from shoulder surgery next week.

Everybody be careful out there and allow following distance based on the bike you're riding! :)

Kevin

Attachments

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Sucks kissing tarmac, a downside of our lifestyle..
Looking foreward to your V-rod thread. Take care.

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
sorry for the injuries and the kiss to the pavement. remember to get back up on that horse as soon as u can.
ride free ride safe

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What gear were you wearing, particularly the jacket type?
Not proud to say it, but was WOEFULLY unprepared - had good boots on and that was about it for real gear - at least was wearing jeans and not shorts! No jacket, gloves, or helmet...

Road rash on back of hands, left shoulder (which scraped through a long-sleeve t-shirt), and left forehead.

Yes, hit head in the crash - and it bled like HELL so initial responders were about to call for a helicopter - but LUCKILY was only road rash, which required about a dozen stitches.

Somewhere the same day I crashed, I'm sure somebody cashed a million dollar lottery ticket - and I'm luckier than they are! :)

Kevin

·
Horsepower Whisperer
727 Posts
Sounds like the bikes shortcomings did you in.
Get well soon.

I had a deer head butt me off a bike a few years ago so I can relate to the broken bones and recovery.
Fortunately I was wearing a helmet, leather jacket, boots and gloves, all of which show severe scrapes. I am grateful that I was wearing that stuff. I had ridden 300,000 miles up until that point, so it would be easy for me to say "Hey, all these decades without a motorcycle accident should afford me the luxury to lighten up on the gear wearing...."
:chair:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, thanks for that update. Crashing sucks, but if we can all pick up a bit of information along the way, then there's at least some payoff.

Get well quick.
Supposedly... there was a major study of motorcycle accidents and the number one cause of crashes was motorcycles rear-ending cars.

That sounded crazy to me... until three weeks ago...

Am healing slowly - stitches out from shoulder surgery as of yesterday, but am still a long ways from recovered. Should be good in time for Sturgis though! :)

Kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts