Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I new to this website. Im not the most mechanically inclined. I can do simple stuff, but not big jobs. I bought a 2006 Night Rod, but didnt realize I was going to run into so many issues. I bought last summer. It has 19000 miles on it and I I did a tune up on everything. The problem I have been having since I bought it is a leaking water pump hose on the brake side of bike. I took it to HD mechanics to fix and it leaks worse. He cleaned all the inside and put new hose on it. He showed me the inside and it was rusty, he cleaned it all out. The mechanic left HD and now he tried to fix it again at his house due to him starting up a shop at his house. Didnt work and still leaking...it leaks down on engine and creates a white spots all over engine. Makes it a eye sore...especially after i clean it up nice....

Another thing, I was riding in November and noticed the coolant light came on, so I got home ASAP, I was about 4 miles away, the light disappeared as I pulled into my driveway. I drove it today for first time and within a half of a mile it came on again and stayed on. I coolant in reserve and nothing was there. So I filled it up to the COLD fill line. I rode it again and same thing happened. Question? If I take the cap off under the shell where seat is at, should I see antifreeze? Because I just filled up the reserve to the fill line. Yes the radiator fans are blowing before you ask. I have been reading other post..I see some say bleed line. I dont know how to do that and I also cant find a youtube vid to show me. PLEASE HELP! Plus my mechanic changed his number.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Do you live in hot climate?

The line is leaking when do you think?

My opinion based on the information you gave.

Radiators are pressurized systems that don't necessarily have high tolerances.

So if the water is getting too hot the lines can start to leak because the pressure is getting to high.

Also, make sure that the water is actually leaking from that main line. My wife had a stubborn water leak on her vrod and it looked like it was coming from the main line but in reality it was dripping from the reservoir and working its way down the motor. The clamp that was on the reservoir was garbage so I replaced it, solved the problem.

Tightening the hose to the water pump will not work, it will only cause further issue if you damage the line.

My guess is that if it is not a leak somewhere else then likely the system is getting too hot. My 2006 has 15k on it, and the only time I had this issue is when I changed the water and it took a few runs to get the air out of the system. I since switch to Evans water-less coolant to avoid the issue entirely, because it supposedly never has to be changed.

I do feel your pain with this, my wife's race back as a persistent coolant issue (she has no luck) and they are very frustrating to solve.

Possible simple solutions:

Change the coolant;

You don't have to go crazy with fancy coolants but maybe that coolant in your system is no longer doing its job well.

Check the coolant reservoir and make sure it is at the full mark, if not the system can be sucking in air. At the same time do not over fill the reservior because water needs room to expand when it is hot.

If the water was recently changed it may take a couple of run cycles before the air is out of the system.

Burp the system;

When the bike is cool, open the radiator cap and squeeze the major water lines. If air is coming up the system there is your problem, do your best to push out as much air as possible.

Run the bike with the cap open and let the system get warm, the water will over flow a bit so be prepared, but some air may push out.

This guy has a descent video for a general practice

·
Registered
294 Posts
Another thought comes to mind.

I can't remember the specifics, but there was a discussion of an issue with a metal gasket in the water pump.

Supposedly it would rust and create some havoc. I am posting it as a separate reply in hopes that someone recognizes what I am talking about.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Another thought comes to mind.

I can't remember the specifics, but there was a discussion of an issue with a metal gasket in the water pump.

Supposedly it would rust and create some havoc. I am posting it as a separate reply in hopes that someone recognizes what I am talking about.
Think this what you are talking about.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah that is the one, thanks!

I read the in the op how there was a rust issue, and maybe that is a contributing factor.

I will also add, that I found my Vrod to be pretty reliable once I got it dialed in. I purchased my motorcycle post wreck and had to rebuild it.

My guess is the reason why this problem exists and is persistent is because the po didn't address the problem correctly in the first place, or failed to maintain the bike as required.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my vrscd, the coolant reservoir cap lost its seal and coolant was shooting from there and ran alongside my bike making it look like it was leaking from somewhere else. New caps from New Castle HD or Ronnie's is like 2 bucks and is designed better than the original ones. Also make sure your bleeder screw is actually screwed down! Bleed your system first though.

Another issue that I had was the radiator drain plug loosing its seal. I don't think this is your issue, however once that plug went bad I was loosing coolant like crazy. Check it out real quick, its hidden behind the left radiator shroud/ cover closer to the bottom.

In closing, this is my first bike I've ever had. I'm not mechanically inclined either but I bought the service book, the one that details how to take the bike down and put it back together, and have also used this sites search function countless times. Doing so has saved me so much money and has increased my knowledge of my machine 🙂 welcome to 1130cc and I hope you get back on the saddle shortly!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check your triple sprocket bolt. Known problem of coming loose and causing the water pump not to turn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Than you for all the help on burping the line. I rode bike for about 15 minutes and light never came on. So far its all good.....now I have to find this dreaded leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On my vrscd, the coolant reservoir cap lost its seal and coolant was shooting from there and ran alongside my bike making it look like it was leaking from somewhere else. New caps from New Castle HD or Ronnie's is like 2 bucks and is designed better than the original ones. Also make sure your bleeder screw is actually screwed down! Bleed your system first though.

Another issue that I had was the radiator drain plug loosing its seal. I don't think this is your issue, however once that plug went bad I was loosing coolant like crazy. Check it out real quick, its hidden behind the left radiator shroud/ cover closer to the bottom.

In closing, this is my first bike I've ever had. I'm not mechanically inclined either but I bought the service book, the one that details how to take the bike down and put it back together, and have also used this sites search function countless times. Doing so has saved me so much money and has increased my knowledge of my machine 🙂 welcome to 1130cc and I hope you get back on the saddle shortly!
Thanks for the help. I still havent found leak, but burping the line seems like it fixed issue on light coming on. I do have one of the books, the guy i bought bike from gave it to me when i purchased bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts