Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just changing my side chrome lever and I saw that my coolant bottle is empty. I held the bike strait up (off the jiffy), moved around and no fluid to be seen. I have not noticed any leaks or any problems with the ride quality, what could this be? I still have warrantee should I take it in or just add coolant and forget about it? Thanks for your help.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
add coolant to the fill line and keep an eye on it, if it drains take her in for a checkup!

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
If you haven't noticed any leaks I would just fill it and monitor it to see how much it is losing first.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
If it's under warranty I would take it in. One thing would be to have them check the water pump shaft triple sprocket screw. If nothing else is found

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of flushing the fluid, should I go ahead and do this now or just add some fluid and see how it goes?

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
Keep it simple.... like the others said, add the proper amount of coolant and then keep a close eye on it. You can then decide if further action is warranted. Good luck.

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
I would say it depends on how much longer you have the warranty. If it is running out soon, then off to the dealer. Otherwise I would fill it and monitor it to see what is happening.

·
Registered
78 Posts
To see if your cooling system is full on a COLD engine: take off the cover for the airfilter and on the right side in front of the air filter there is a round rubber plug. Take off the rubber plug to gain access to the coolant line. Use a 5mm hex to remove the plug from the top coolent line. It should be full of coolant. If not the cooling system itself is low.

·
Registered
250 Posts
timbo141 said:
Use a 5mm hex to remove the plug from the top coolent line. It should be full of coolant. If not the cooling system itself is low.
This is the only correct way to ensure that you aren't dangerously low on coolant. If you've lost enough coolant that the overflow reservoir is empty - there is a strong possibility that you've got air bubbles in the radiator.

Two issues to consider:

1) Coolant shouldn't just disappear. Its going somewhere - either you've got a blown headgasket and its getting into the combustion process (v. unlikely - unless you see clouds of white smoke in your exhaust) or there is a leak somewhere in the system. Look for drips or evidence of coolant leak. This needs to be fixed.

2) If you HAVE lost enough coolant that you have introduced air bubbles into the radiator - you need to get these out, or you risk overheating problems. Follow the procedure in the shop manual to bleed air bubbles. Just dumping a cup of fluid in the overflow bottle will NOT remove air bubbles.

Edit: I see you still have warranty coverage. The best thing you can do is have the dealership do a pressure test on the cooling system. This will identify any coolant leaks. If they make you wait two weeks before you can get a service appointment - then add coolant yourself, making sure to bleed air bubbles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great info. I called the dealership today to make an appt since my warranty end in Jan 08. They told me it would take at least 2-4 days depending what is needed. I am going to take timbo and jacks' feedback I am going to check the cooling system after this. What should I tell the mechanic at the dealership to assist him on his process, since I know that all of us know much more than the mechanic about cooling systems. Are there certain things I should have him look for?

From what I know so far, I am going to ask them to check:
1. water pump shaft triple sprocket screw
2. do a pressure test
3. coolant cap nipple is broken
4. check hose clamps

Any more info?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I took the bike to the dealership and asked them questions... I didn't like the way they were handling my issues so I decided not to leave it with them, forget about the bs warranty. I took it home added coolant to the full line and have been riding for about 100 miles no problems yet. I will keep you posted. Thank you all for your great advise.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
ArmenianStallio said:
So I took the bike to the dealership and asked them questions... I didn't like the way they were handling my issues so I decided not to leave it with them, forget about the bs warranty. I took it home added coolant to the full line and have been riding for about 100 miles no problems yet. I will keep you posted. Thank you all for your great advise.

did you pull the "radiator" cap off by the seat and fill that first??? and pull the plug out in the airbox to purge the air in the line?

·
Michael J
740 Posts
Loose hose clamps, check radiator in and out, hoses, waterpump. I usually smell leaking coolant, after you run it sniff around the system. hose clamps loosen with miles and vibration. Early style coolant bottles break too.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
FatbyRR said:
More importantly !!! What type of coolant did you put IN?

Nah, as the motor might not have coolant circulating and that will lead to :banghead: and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I did pull the plug from the air filter box and there was sufficient fluid and the radiator cap had full of fluid. So therefore, I only added the HD 50/50 fluid in the coolant bottle. Everything seems to be fine. Let me know if there is anything else I should do. Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts