Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2016 VRSCF about 2 months ago and have been loving every day of it. It's been really fun to ride and there aren't many on the road so I get a lot of looks, waves, and questions from people.

One thing I noticed is that driving faster than 70 mph on the highway for any length of time is tiring because of the wind, and the foot peg position isn't that good either. I know the V-Rod is considered a muscle bike, and I'm not complaining, but I knew I had to make a couple changes. I liked the stock dual exhaust of the Muscle, and after looking around, there aren't any peg relocation kits or mid controls that will work with the stock exhaust. You have to replace it with the 2 into 1 for any of them to work. So to help with some comfort issues I bought the HD mid-sport windshield and the heelraiser foot pegs. Both have made a huge difference! I also purchased the Budman riser for the handlebar and windshield but have not installed it yet. I will hang onto it because the handlebars don't bother me thad much. On the advice from some people in this forum I also bought the DX visor & longer hex bolts that matches my bike's color to cover up the gap the riser creates. For now I'm keeping them in a box incase they stop producing these parts. At speed some people complained that the mid-sport windshield was too short and created a lot of buffeting of the helmet but I haven't had many problems. I rode from Ohio to Maryland 2 weeks ago and felt pretty good. One thing I've been doing is resting my feet on the passenger pegs which allows you to lean forward some. It's pretty comfortable and that's how I cruise on the highway. If I get in heavy traffic I just go to a normal riding position incase I need to downshift or stop.

I also purchased Vance & Hines slip on exhausts and it sounds awesome. It was very quiet before, and if you own a HD, might as well make some noise like everybody else. Some people complained about it being too loud but I just put in ear plugs for rides longer than 30 minutes. It keeps the wind noise down too. I ordered the Vance & Hines exhaust baffles to quiet it down if I ever wanted to, but they are on back order and may take a few months to come in. Vance & Hines says for some products they wait until there are enough orders to produce a lot all at one time. I had my local Dynojet tuner tune the engine after the exhaust installation. Contrary to Vance & Hines website you don't need a Power Commander or Bazaaz fuel controller. At least on my bike the stock ecu can be tuned with the HD software.

I had the HD security system with RFID dongles installed for peace of mind and also installed a battery tender lead with usb connection for my phone. I bought a 1' long charging cable so there wasn't excess and the old style RAM mount to hold my phone. I just mounded my phone under the bolt on the brake lever after a little grinding on the RAM mount.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any saddle bags that I liked so my first trip I just strapped a backpack to the passenger seat and it worked pretty well.

I also wanted to brighten the headlights up so I checked with the local HD dealer and the brand they sold they purchased from Superbright LEDs. I have purchased from this company before so I checked their website, and the exact same bulbs the dealer carried were much cheaper by buying direct. The dealer wanted $300 for the bulbs and I only paid $60 by buying direct. There are two different LED bulbs they carry, the cheaper model is the one the HD dealer carries and it comes in cool white. The more expensive one is about 1000 lumens brighter and comes with several color filters. I opted for what the HD dealer carries. If you have problems with your bulbs not coming on once installed, switch the polarity on the plug and they will come on. They are very bright and look great !

Oh and the last accessory I purchased was the HD crash bar. I probably didn't need it but most HDs have them installed so I put it on. I don't know if it adds or detracts from the bike but I'll hang onto it for now.

Oh the last thing I installed was a smoked lexane license plate cover. Looks pretty cool !

Also it did about 111hp on the dyno, to the rear wheel. I'm not sure about torque because I didn't want to cut into the wires.

Pictures Linked Below
https://imgur.com/a/hi5trlM

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bike really stands out now.
You did an awesome job of "fixing" some of the common complaints about the V and making it your own.

What are those mirror light turn signals you have? Those look awesome and Id like to look into a set for my night rod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The turn signals on the mirror are just stock on the Muscle. I've only seen a Night Rod once or twice so I'm not entirely sure if you could mount something like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.