Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it in my head that I read a thread and the gist of it was admitting the stupid things we do to help others. So here goes nothing.
So it started last Saturday morning. A friend wants me to go riding with him and I was more than happy to do so. We kind of got a motorcycle mentorship program going on because it is his first bike. We usually start out on a parking lot circling each way about ten minutes and practicing emergency braking. I even showed him the value of riding with the high beam on during the daylight hours.
Well I told him that my bike had developed a strange rattle the last time I was riding home from work and to give me about an hour to resolve the problem and I would be there. The last thing I put on was the super brace so I pulled it off and took a quick trip down the freeway. Superbrace was not the problem so I thought the windshield had developed a rattle. Pulled off the windshield and tested again. So I thought it was the brakes because I recently changed the front brake shoes. But eventually I found the problem nowhere near the front end like I had thought. The upper belt guard was loose. The piece that the belt slides into was gone. Now 10 past 4:00 and the dealer closes at 5:00. So as I am barreling down the freeway, thinking yeah, that was the problem, no more rattling now. It dawned on me that the bolt for the left rear shock was no longer connected to the upper belt guard that has the nut. Immediately I backed the speed back down to the limit and pulled over to check it. Since I couldn't pull it out figured "closer to the dealer than home". Onward I went praying that the left shock was not going to be liberated.
Well the dealer was just freaking outstanding. Sales girl got a mechanic for me and he looked at the problem. Didn't have the piece for the front of the belt guard but gave me a nut and bolt and told me to cut it down with a dremel tool. Now the outstanding part was that the only nut he could find to fit the bolt through the shock was on a lift. He took it off the lift and put it on my bike and gave me an envelope to return it the key drop box. Then they didn't charge me anything and he has spent an extra 30 minutes since closing trying to make my bike safe to ride home. Well I told him that I owed him a beer. But I always say that and of course I mean it. So I figure I will return the bolt first thing in the am (don't worry they were closed today) with a 6-pack of Heineken (which is now in the back seat of the car).
So now I am trying to find the correct part that screws into the swingarm. My parts book indicates that it is three parts. Screw 3755M, washer 6838M and bushing 67621-94 and this is going on an 2004 A model. For some reason it does not seem to be correct. The belt guard looks different to me.

Well that was my blonde moment so please remember to have all the nuts and bolts on your bike before hitting the highways and thanks a lot if you have any input on the forward upper belt guard bolt.

VR/Matt

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
Aren't all Dutch people blonde? :D Yes, you really have to concentrate and be systematic when doing any maintenance since this sort of thing can happen pretty easily. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
322 Posts
And your buddy was left sitting in the parking lot, waiting for you?
I need some closure man!

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
The top and bottom screw + bushing are the same, so anyone who removed the lower belt guard should have one laying around. I have one, but it's in a box beneath a bunch of stuff right now. I'm renovating my garage and it's on the bottom of a bg ass pile of stuff in the back closet, but if you still need it I should be able to dig it out on Wed and I could send it to you. You could remove the lower guard and use that bushing on the top until then. PM me if you'd like it.
(and get some loc-tite!)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pondo,

Thanks but I have the parts on order from Zanottis. It must be the picture in my manual that makes it look strange.

Chris,
We went riding on Sunday. After I told my friend that I needed to fix the rattle, he had actually made other plans. It didn't help that it was cloudy and he is not wanting to take a new bike out in the rain.

Beeek,
Sorry I can say that all the Dutch are not blonde. There seems to be a nice blend due to the number of Caribbean islands and former South American colonies. As for me I am a buckeye.

VR/Matt

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bagram_Matt said:
Chris,
We went riding on Sunday. After I told my friend that I needed to fix the rattle, he had actually made other plans. It didn't help that it was cloudy and he is not wanting to take a new bike out in the rain.VR/Matt

All's well that ends well.:chair:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts