Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bike back from being rebuilt by HD. New frame, misc.... Been taking a few rides here and there, still repairing the body. Took a ride to TNVrod to look at some other issues on the bike and we notice the atmosphere tube from the tank is on the front side of the frame and TOUCHING the header....:spank: :spank: Also noticed the engine is rubbing the engine mounts..... Not getting any warm fuzzies about the repair job...:banghead: Drove home and stopped the bike in the driveway first by the handle off switch and then the key off switch. I walked into the house, through to the garage and as I was opening the door I smelt burning plastic. As the door got up I saw 1' to 1.5' tall flames coming from the battery area enveloping the spedo pod.. :bash: :stilpoke: :banghead: :soapbox: How do you say "OH SH!%!!" I grabbed the hose and put it out and pulled the maxi fuse. Called the HD dealer and told them to come get it, I don't want a fire in my house tonight..... He said they would come by tommorow....

My wife told me to make a few calls way above their head, like corporate level to see if anyone else thought these things constsituted GROSS Negligence.... :chair: If the fire started while I was riding or if the atmoshphere tube cought fire while I was riding I do not want to even think what I would look like....:barf:

I posted some pics in my gallary How would you treat it????

·
The Hawk
3,806 Posts
Looks like the morons ran your throttle cable right over your positive battery terminal which rubbed through and shorted out causing the fire. Whomever worked on it and routed the cable like that should be held responsible for the damages. That cable is supposed to run beside the battery and not on top.

Mike

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ahhh - the old throttle cables catch the bike on fire trick. Who put the throttle cables there????

·
Registered
519 Posts
Elgavilan said:
Looks like the morons ran your throttle cable right over your positive battery terminal which rubbed through and shorted out causing the fire. Whomever worked on it and routed the cable like that should be held responsible for the damages. That cable is supposed to run beside the battery and not on top.

Mike
Hope it wasn't him or you just called him a moron :). BTW - Maxi Fuse pull - you are still grounding out positive battery terminal.

·
Registered
519 Posts
BTW - you are not the first. They fixed this on 2007 and up models by flipping the battery - positive is now on the other side away from the cables.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still PISSES me off..... I want a bike I can trust. Motor mounts wrong, throttle cable wrong, tank tube DANGEROUS. Looks like the mechanic did not know what he was doing, I hate to think what else was wrong.........

·
Registered
519 Posts
Jethro_3 said:
Still PISSES me off..... I want a bike I can trust. Motor mounts wrong, throttle cable wrong, tank tube DANGEROUS. Looks like the mechanic did not know what he was doing, I hate to think what else was wrong.........
Only one piece (and I mean piece) of my bike has been in the service room at HD and it took 3 people over 1 hour to do something I could have done by myself in 5 minutes had they let me use the special tool. My bike will never ever ever be touched by anyone at HD. I feel for ya!

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep thinking I want a new bike until someone can prove to me that they had 1/2 a clue putting it together...... is 1/2 a clue to much to ask for???? The shop rate is the going rate for competency not ignorance. Do you think the shop would even care about what would have happened if I was riding when it started?

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Damn Jethro 3 sorry about your luck! I hate it when I hear stories like this due to someone else's mistake!

·
Mountaineer
305 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I understand you concerns. I had my bike at the HD service only once. They overfilled the engine oil so that it came out of the air filter. That was the first and the last time I went to the dealer. Learned to do all the stuff by myself. I'm not fast, cleaning all the parts, inspecting them thouroughly, polishing them etc. but the result is always satisfying.
However, yesterday I had my front wheel at a shop for remounting the tire. HE SCRATCHED MY CHROMED RIMS! It's always the same: if you want it done perfectly, do it yourself.

·
24 Posts
Slasher said:
However, yesterday I had my front wheel at a shop for remounting the tire. HE SCRATCHED MY CHROMED RIMS!
Tough luck, sorry to hear that. IMHO, there is no excuse for you not to get compensated for that incident - others, a permission from him to get his a$$ kicked for an hour in minimum.

// b

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to go to the other dealers bike night tonight...... Now I have no ride.....

·
Mountaineer
305 Posts
beetraham said:
Tough luck, sorry to hear that. IMHO, there is no excuse for you not to get compensated for that incident - others, a permission from him to get his a$$ kicked for an hour in minimum.

// b
Yes, that's what I thought. He said the scratches were there before. There's nothing I can do.

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
Jethro_3 said:
I keep thinking I want a new bike until someone can prove to me that they had 1/2 a clue putting it together...... is 1/2 a clue to much to ask for???? The shop rate is the going rate for competency not ignorance. Do you think the shop would even care about what would have happened if I was riding when it started?

They probably would be happy they wouldn't have to fix it and tell you to settle it with your insurance.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Man, sorry to hear about what happened. At least you didn't make it all the way in the house and not catch the fire.

I'm not surprised at the stealer mistake. They've pulled a couple stupid mistakes on mine that I later fixed myself at home.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Holy Crap!!! that really sucks

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
If that's the dealer on the North side of Austin (East side of the interstate near Round Rock city limits) then things haven't changed much since I was there about 6 years ago. My drive belt broke on the geezer glide. It would up costing me about $700 by the time they finished. They replaced everything they could get their hands on. I was furious, but what else could I do? I didn't have time to wrench back then due to my job.

Sorry to hear about it Jethro. Looks like they are going to have to paint the frame... which means this is a looooooong repair. Push for a loaner.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the condolances...:notworth:

Parkus, I don't see my insurance having any responsibility. If i did get them involved I see them using a lawyer to compensate themselves showing Central as negli----.

If I pay a mechanic to repair a bike as good as was, 2000 miles before the repair, should I expect a bike to burn up at any time???

:soapbox: Sorry I just can't get over this very easy.... I just want a bike I can trust. :soapbox:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Jethro_3 said:
I want to go to the other dealers bike night tonight...... Now I have no ride.....
You can ride bitch with me...:hidesbeh: Does this mean you're not coming over Fri. nite so we can pick the bike apart????

1 - 20 of 35 Posts