Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my Old Transmission that came in a box. Shift Drum is Screwed. Anyone who says a Extended Warranty isnt worth it, my bike used was 12.5K delivered from Texas, that included the $1500 Extended warranty so my bike was really 11k (not to mention the 3k in extras on it that really made it 7k), anyways this $2600 plus the $1700 from last year than the little problems that totaled somewhere around $2000 makes my cost $6300 if no warranty (Remember the bike was only 7K to begin with) so I will say that unless you know how to and WANT to tear down and build back up everytime something takes a shit than thats your thing, Me I am wishing I could extended past this Dec when it expires.

Attachments

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
so even with the vmodded pipes, the gils box and the topless, they honored your extended warranty? I thought the warranty was toast when you so much as added the gils box??

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
violet said:
so even with the vmodded pipes, the gils box and the topless, they honored your extended warranty? I thought the warranty was toast when you so much as added the gils box??
Well when the Warranty people came the engine was out and tore down so no one saw the extra's so thats where you have to trust your Tech.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Alright David. Now that you have all of your used trans parts scattered on your bed spread. All I see is one sprocket chewed up. What else are we looking at thats messed up?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
You can't extend an extended warranty? I kinda figured they'd do that. Hmm. Tough luck David, but I'm glad your covered! Good thing you have a "helpful tech" too!

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Gear Forks (I think thats what they are called, they are the two Yellow things in the other picts) where Gauging the Hell out of the Shift drum, apparently something was installed incorrectly last year when I jad the same procedure done at my local Dealership making the Forks do whats circles in the photos.

Attachments

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Oooo. That does NOT look good. Thanks for showing.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Did that stay in gear or did it constantly pop out of gear and or grind on you? That looks like it took a pretty good beating.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rjrivero said:
Did that stay in gear or did it constantly pop out of gear and or grind on you? That looks like it took a pretty good beating.
Popped out of 2nd if I put any Torque on it and 5th was useless by the time I brought it in.

·
Autobanmod
9,901 Posts
one of the forks seems to have a worn out axle bore, I think this is what caused it. The wear on the shifter drum indicates that you must have had very strong shifting forces. The wear is mostly outside of the area where the pin actually rests once the gear is engaged.
You do use your clutch every now and then, do you?

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
luxlamf said:
Well when the Warranty people came the engine was out and tore down so no one saw the extra's so thats where you have to trust your Tech.

I asked the service manager about this when I got my extended warranty. He told me that if I have anything added to the engine that he would gladly take it off before he started working because he got more money from the MoCo under the warranty than if he was trying to screw me in some way. I actually have a pretty good guy at my dealer. When I ordered some stuff for my wide tire conversion, I told him I could get it at Zanottis or somewhere for 20% off, He gladly placed the order for me at 20% off so he could have my business.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Hang onto the shifter shaft! And lets hope they put the new longer spring on the shift linkage. The rest of that stuff will make an anchor for a small boat.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
Daniii said:
Hang onto the shifter shaft! And lets hope they put the new longer spring on the shift linkage. The rest of that stuff will make an anchor for a small boat.
Leave it to Daniii to come up with a use for the old parts.....you're one of a kind 'ole man :)

·
EXCELSIOR
8,502 Posts
They shouldn't have used aluminum for the shift drum anyway.
Especially an untreated aluminum shift drum.
Use aluminum where appropriate, to save weight etc. but not on high potential wear items.
It never holds up.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
After 60K miles, my old shift drum showed zero wear. The other linkage part had failed, causing the wear.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jan-Dirk said:
The shifter fork pins have little "rollers" which normally prevent such wear.
The Tech thinks that something was installed incorrectly last year when they updated the tranny causing things to be "Out Of Whack" to say the least.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
luxlamf said:
Even if they did see it all together it would not have matter unless they can show directly how the above caused the incorrect installation of parts.

BTW: Glad things are being taken care of.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts