Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You read that right. It's PLURAL.

Some people are just whacked enough to make a bagger out of anything, including what was once the king of the road. It may not look as pretty as it does without them, but it sure makes taking stuff with you a breeze. Behold, my Kawasaki Ninja ZX-11 (what the name DMZX11 is based on).

3-GIVI bags at 40 liters capacity each, giving me 120 liters. Each bag is big enough to hold two full face helmets. A Goldwing's storage is about 140 liters, so it's not too far off. The ZX-11 even has a 6.4 gallon tank, and gets about 50mpg on the open road. That's enough to get me from my house to Las Vegas non-stop.

...and of course, my V-Rod:

Now with the Garmin Zumo GPS. The Corbin bags are 27 liters each and are large enough for me to fit my Dell laptop in. I would like to add a 3rd hard case in the back somewhere.

DMZX11

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I like 'em, both and wouldn't hesitate a minute to ride either on a multi-day road trip.

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
I like the V-Rod of course. I never liked the Givi outfitted sportbike look when I had my sportbike, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do. Actually, your matching Corbins look better on your bike than I've ever seen.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LiquidSilver said:
I like 'em, both and wouldn't hesitate a minute to ride either on a multi-day road trip.
I've done 900 and 1,200 multi-day road trips on the ZX-11, and have probably taken it from LA to San Diego at least 15 times on overnight and weekend trips.

For the 3rd year in a row, I have taken the V-Rod on a big multi-day trip. In 2005, I did a 7-day, 1,700 mile trip, in 2006 (cut short because of an accident), I did 6-days, 1,900+ miles, and this year, I did a 9-day, 2,820 mile trip.

In a single day, I have done 600 miles on that ZX-11. The 900 mile trip was done in less than 40 hours start-to-finish.

How's that?

DMZX11

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beeek said:
I like the V-Rod of course. I never liked the Givi outfitted sportbike look when I had my sportbike. Actually, your matching Corbins look better on your bike than I've ever seen.
As far as the GIVI's on the ZX-11 go, my intention was not look, but functionality, and ease of use.

BMW makes the GS. A very popular bike among the owners. I know many people who have them and swear by them. In my opinion, they are quite ugly. But I respect the functionality and practicality of them, which I'm sure is why their owners love them so much.

That same philosophy is applicable with the ZX-11 and the Corbins. An easy way to take lots of stuff and just snap them on. No fiddling with bungees and balancing it and having them shift around in the wind. I used to use soft bags and on one trip, they shifted and the exhaust burned a hole in the bag and scorched some of my clothes. With the GIVI's, I don't have to worry about that anymore.

DMZX11

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
You're breaking my heart with the Ninja. I had a 93 1100 and loved it. To each their own but I couldn;t do it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The vrod I can live with, actually some of the nicest hard bags I've seen on one.
The Ninja, not so sure, looks like it defeats the aerodynamics of the machine!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
100YR VROD said:
The vrod I can live with, actually some of the nicest hard bags I've seen on one.
The Ninja, not so sure, looks like it defeats the aerodynamics of the machine!
Like I said. The purpose of the bags on the Ninja was not aerodynamics, or even aesthetics, it was functionality and practicality. They do achieve that objective. After years of educating Porsches and BMW's, maturity kicked in and I decided to tone it down and discovered the pleasure of touring - taking the bike on long, multi-day rides.

As far as aerodynamics goes, I can tell you from frist-hand experience, that ZX-11 can still reach at least 150mph with all three bags on it. That's fast enough to put a smile on your face and scary enough to make you soil your drawers.

DMZX11

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I go out on a limb here and say that I suspect the bags aren't on the Ninja full time. ..... probably just when you need them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds like the bags aren't an issue!
It beats travelling in a car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LiquidSilver said:
I go out on a limb here and say that I suspect the bags aren't on the Ninja full time. ..... probably just when you need them.
You would be correct.

The only time the sides are on it are when I'm taking a long trip with it. I will just put the top one on because it doesn't make the the bike wider, but lets me take my laptop to work with ease. They come off and snap back on very easily. It takes a half second each to click them back onto the bike.

About once a year, I'll take the rack system off so I can clean the bike underneath.

DMZX11

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
synseer said:
Hey man, those are some good looking bikes!
Thanks.

The ZX-11 is a 1994, and just hit 75,000 miles on Tuesday morning, the same day I took the pictures.

The V-Rod is a 2002 and has about 35,000 miles on it.

DMZX11

1 - 13 of 13 Posts