Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to ride the bike for the first time this year. Battery was dead, so I gave it a charge. Went to start it and the starter would not stop spinning. I hit the start button once, and it just kept going. I eventually just flipped the switch on and off maybe 10 times and then it was fine. So I turn the ignition on, go to start, and nothing. It just spins over and never starts. Let it sit for 30 minutes, and it still would not start. Any ideas??? :helpme:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Do you get the engine light and here the fuel pump prime when you turn the run switch on? Does the security light turn off as well (that would be the key on the right of the engine light)? The starter hanging shouldn't have anything to do with the no start it may just be coincidental.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuel pump does prime when the switch is turned on, the security light is not on. The starter problem was really messed up, but I don't understand why it will not start??? :(

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
when the starter is spinning, is the engine turning too? or is it free spinning the bendix?
Trying to get a handle on the problem ;)
Greg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the engine is spinning, sorry for all the confusion. The starter does engage with the engine, but it just won't start.

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
Stale fuel is a possibility. Depends how long its been standing for. Try mixing in some fresh fuel, shake the bike to mix it and try again.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
sslegend it may also be flooded, most efi systems go into a mode called clear flood if the throttle is at 100%. So I suggest that you turn the throttle to full and crank it a in 10 second intervals a few times and see if you get anything at all.

Max

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
FYI... For next winter spend the $30 on a battery tender jr. It'll save you from the dead battery.

Hope you get her started soon without any more issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's back!!! I forgot how fast she was too! I put a new battery in and it started right up. Gave her an oil change with HD synthetic and went on a 30 minute ride (it's 40 degrees) Thank you all for the help and support. Next year a battery tender will be on it for sure! Thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts