Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had previously committed to a 2010 model VRSCF through the AAFES program here in Baghdad because there was no 2011 stock available yet. Just picked up my new buyer's offer paperwork and signed for a 2011 muscle in vivid black :D:D:D

Now the waiting continues... have to wait until late November to pick it up :( Such is life, I guess.

One question though-- is the ABS REALLY worth the extra $1100? I already got a hell of a deal through AAFES, but I could chop another $1100 off the top if I dumped the ABS/Security package. My '01 Shadow 1100 didn't have ABS and I did just fine with it. Is the system really worth the money?

·
Live Free Or Die
330 Posts
Here's my opinion:

I've ridden a BMW R1200R with the ABS, and I found that with my style of riding, it never kicked in on dry roads. However, in the wet was a different story, as I had it kick in on a number of occasions during some hard braking. I cut my teeth on dirt bikes, and it was kind of disconcerting at first as your expecting the back end to step out. It never did. Assuming that the '011 F is similar it comes down to how you ride. If you like to thrash around and/or if you plan on riding in the wet alot, get the ABS. Otherwise, IMO save your $$ for the customizing you'll do.

I have and R and while a nice option to have, it wouldn't get much use from me.

be safe,

RF

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
I have it and have used it - get it!! Remember, you can't add if after the fact. You won't miss that money down the road, and it helps with insurance.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hadn't thought about the insurance break. I'll have to look into that part of it. My old Sabre didn't have it, and the only time I ever locked a wheel on it was when I was purposely trying to lock the rear after my MSF course.

·
boredom kills
2,326 Posts
Motorcyclists occasionaly go down, especially in the wet. If ABS helps it from happening to you, you are ahead of the game and will never miss the 1100 bucks.

You can probably get an 08 or 09 with abs here in the classified section for a lot cheaper than new, assuming you are taking delivery in CONUS. Remember it will be used the second you drive the new bike off the lot.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
I've had ABS on several BMWs I've owned. It is very effective. It's one of those things that may just save your butt when that idiot car driver does the usual stupid things.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm 99% sure I'll leave it on the order, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a concensus that it's really not worth it on these bikes. Thanks everybody!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.