Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
VRSCF Road-Rod Owner
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
To Batwing, or not to Batwing...that is the question!

After mounting the bags, the next step was to decide on which direction I wanted to take the bike in terms of the fairing.

I had an old Road Glide fairing sitting on the garage shelf, but despite this I thought I would go the Batwing fairing route with the Muscle. I picked up a HD Batwing inner/outer fairing combo off ebay. I mocked up the bike with both fairings & took pics to see which combination my riding buds thought gave the best overall impression. Ironically, the survey of a dozen riding buddies was split right down the middle - 6 for the Batwing & 6 for the Muscle. As a result, depite polling my buds, I ended up making the decision myself by casting the tiebreaking vote for the shark-nosed fairing from a Road Glide.

This decision also helped keep the price of the conversion down, as I also had a Road Glide headlight assembly, HD clock gauge, and HD voltmeter gauge sitting on the garage shelf from a previous conversion (check out my avatar). The only additional pieces I had to source were a windshield, a Kuryakyn windshield trim kit, and a Cycle Visions turn signal bezel.

Cost breakdown (shipping included):
Used HD outer Shark-nosed fairing (ebay).........................on-hand
New HD inner Shark-nosed fairing (zanotti's)..........................$300
New HD Sport windshield (ebay)..............................................$ 65
New Kuryakyn chrome windshield trim (ebay)..........................$125
New Cycle Visions black turn signal bezel (ebay).....................$135
Paul Yaffee Turn Signal Eliminators.....................................on-hand
Road Glide dual headlight assembly...................................on-hand
Powdercoating.........................................................................$ 50

Total investment w/o paint...................................................~$675

Next up - more fairing details...Q

Attachments

·
VRSCF Road-Rod Owner
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
More Shark-nose fairing details & dash setup

After making the decision to go with the shark-nosed fairing, the next step was to find a way to mount it. Cycle Visions has a bolt on kit you can buy for some models, but the last time I checked they didn't have a version for the Muscle. Once I really thought about it, I was kinda glad that I wouldn't be able to take the easy way out with Cycle Visions - I've used their kit on my older B model in the past (twice), and had less than stellar results with the kit's durability.

Fairing Mounts
I planned to use a stock Road Glide bracket for the center fairing mount - I had my fabricator tack the bracket to the neck of the bike temporarily so we could check the fit. The problem I ran into was that once mounted, the stock Harley bracket didn’t leave enough room for V-Rod forks to turn fully. I knew then that I'd need my fabricator to make custom center bracket, which would be welded to the neck of the frame. Using the stock Road Glide fairing bracket as a template, I ended up with a two-piece bracket - the hinge point between the 2 pieces engineered to provide minor adjustment. Brackets were also needed for the left/right sides of the fairing, but I had always planned on these & they were rather straightforward.

Handlebar Setup
The stock Muscle handlebars also presented an obstacle, as they didn't clear the inner fairing because of their low positioning & semi-drag bar pullback. Luckily, some quick research revealed that Harley had recently announced a new riser option for the Muscle, which along with a set of bars originally created as reduced reach bars for the DX, left me with a handlebar/riser combo that would clear the inner fairing - all without having to replace any of the cables/lines! I could have used the custom Muscle riser you can find on ebay (for twice the price) in addition to my choice of bars (and paid for new lines as well), but the Harley solution was a no-brainer & was one case where the Motor Company provided the cheapest solution.

Dash components
Two pieces really helped provide a nice mounting solution for the dash components:
KlockWerks’ radio mounting kit – allows for aftermarket stereos to be mounted securely in FLTH & FLTR dashes, and
Harley fairing plugs – typically used to plug the stock fairing openings, but used by me to fab tweeter mounts.

I already had a couple of HD gauges, but using these still left 2 gauge openings in the fairing. To fill these, I took a Dremel tool & bored out the center section of a couple of HD gauge plugs – leaving just enough room for a snug fit for the Infinity Reference 1” tweeters I purchased. The pics do a good job of illustrating the process which provided a seamless fit. The tweeters augmented the J&M speakers I installed as front speakers.

Used Klock Werks radio caddy...................................on-hand
Used single-DIN stereo w/3.5” LCD...........................on-hand
Used HD fairing plugs (2)……………………………....…......…on-hand
Used HD clock & voltmeter gauges…………..……........…on-hand
New pair of Infinity 1031t tweeters (amazon)..........................$ 43
New pair of J&M front speakers HRUS-05GTM-B (ebay)............$123
New reduced reach DX handlebars 57466-10 (Zannotti’s)........$ 57
New HD VRSCF Riser & Clamp Kit 55900008 (Zannotti’s).........$127
Custom Fairing Mounts incl. installation...................................$750

Total investment w/o paint.................................................~$1100

Next up - more fairing details with a look inside the fairing...Q

Attachments

·
"Goobish"
473 Posts
just plain sick!!!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
vrod baggers are cool. i would love to have one. keep us updated.

·
VRSCF Road-Rod Owner
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Fender & wheel details

I liked the original Muscle wheels, but really wanted to use a front wheel that I had custom CNC'ed. I didn't have a matching rear, so I used a DX slotted rim since it was hidden with the saddlebags installed anyway. The front rim started out as a stock solid, which I had CNC'ed. I powdercoated both gloss black for a subdued look.

The stock Muscle rear fender is so short that it highlights the large empty space created by the addition of the saddlebags. I had the idea that if they sold a 'hugger' fender for my Busa, maybe I could create the same type of option for the Muscle, and create a surface to paint which would fill the rear section of the bike in the process. I found a 240 rear fender and a 120 front fender on ebay - both were 12 gauge steel.

The rear hugger fender was the easiest, so we tackled it first. My fabricator added a couple of mounting tabs to the top of the rear fender so I could hang it from the inner fender rail - no other trimming was necessary. With the addition of the saddlebags, I lost the stock side plate mount. Adding a used aftermarket plate mount was a perfect fit, as it mounts to the stock rear fender and hangs just above the rear hugger fender.

Since the rear fender came scalloped, I had my fabricator cut the same design into the front fender. We used the caliper bolts as mounting locations & drilled the fender accordingly. Once I added a badge to the front fender, the custom body pieces were a wrap.

240 rear fender (ebay)...................................................$ 75
front fender (ebay).........................................................$ 75
Fender trimming/customization......................................$300
Fender badge (ebay)......................................................$ 20
Custom RR Fender Eliminator-Used (forum member).....$100

Total investment w/o paint............................................$570

Attachments

·
Rat Bastard
29 Posts
Nice write up and detail! This should be stickied or added to a sticky. Great job.

·
Premium Member
10,816 Posts
Congratulations on being in Baggers as a random shot, too!

21 - 40 of 64 Posts