Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
VRSCF Road-Rod Owner
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few threads where guys post pics of their projects as they go through the process - the only downside is that sometimes it takes forever to see the finished product and my A.D.D. doesn't give me the patience to follow the thread for months.

As a result, I thought I'd try something a little different - post pics of the finished product & then post the detailed steps for anyone interested in the 'how-to'.

Just pics now, but details to follow...ride safe.

Q

Attachments

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Schaweeeett!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,816 Posts
SICK! Nice job - we need more photos - and details! Looks great, and I like it. Joe

·
VRSCF Road-Rod Owner
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, Ok! First of many details - Saddlebags!

I picked up the saddlebags off ebay - deciding to go with used stock HD bags to avoid any issues with pricey custom parts.

This presents an issue with the shock cavity of the saddlebags not lining up with the shock placement of the Muscle, leaving somewhat of a gap between the rear fender & the saddlebag - I thought this was a good compromise as it kept the cost down. CycleVisions sells some saddlebags with the shock cavity relocated to minimize the gap between the rear fender & the bag, but I chose not to go this route simply due to price.

There is also the issue of mounting the bags themselves. I chose to buy a HD VRSC saddlebag mounting kit - the one that comes with brackets & a hoop. You only need the l/r brackets from this setup, but HD doesn't sell just the brackets from the kit - you have to buy the whole thing. The brackets mount directly to the inner rear fender rail, & provide a couple mount points for saddlebags and/or a tour pack. In my opinion, the version of the kit doesn't matter, as you'll end up fabricating custom brackets anyway since the hoop isn't used. In my case, I ended up finding the VRSCR version of the kit, even though I have a VRSCF. This took care of the top mount for the saddlebags.

The saddlebags are secured at the bottom to a mounting bracket welded to the pipes. I got the idea by studying how the saddlebags are mounted on the Big V-Twins. By mimicking the setup of the Big V-Twins, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

With mounting points for the top & bottom of the saddlebags, all I needed was a custom bracket. A local fabricator constructed the bracket for me - a little gloss black powdercoat & I was done.

I also powdercoated the latches & ordered matching locks from my local HD dealer - this way one barrel key fits all the locks on the bike.

The 6x9 lids were one of the few custom parts I used. The best price I could find for speaker lids was a guy selling fiberglass lids on ebay - his forms weren't perfect, but with a little patience & a little trimming (you have to cut out the holes for your speakers & drill holes for latches & mounting plates yourself), you can't beat the setup. I also removed the rubber seal from the stock lids & glued them into the speaker lids.

Cost breakdown (shipping included):
Used pair of HD saddlebags including stock lids (ebay)....$200
New speaker lids (ebay)...................................................$125
New HD VRSC saddlebag mounting kit 91432-07 (ebay)..$100
New pair of Polk DB691 marine speakers (Amazon).........$ 85
Custom brackets...............................................................$490
Brackets for pipes.............................................................$ 40
Matching locks (HD)...........................................................$ 60
Powdercoating..................................................................$100

Total investment w/o paint.............................................~$1200

Q

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts