Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2008 night rod special and it is all factory with no mods on it. I noticed the other night my headers glow red even after short runs. Is this normal?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Welcome to the board and no that's not normal. Did the bike come with a warranty?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I could be wrong .But that sounds like you have unburned fuel entering your header .

Is the bike running OK ?

Defiantly not normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no warranty as i bought it used and the bike runs great! I guess I need to take it to harley to get it looked at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am worried as I wanted to put a pipe and a tuner on it. Now I dont know if I want to mess with it until I get this figured out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Could be the ecm is not advancing the timing in accordance with engine demands.

·
INCONCEIVABLE!
1,529 Posts
These bikes come lean from the factory as a way of getting around emissions laws ... But red hot headers is WAAAAY more lean than normal. Sounds like an ECM issue and it is definitely necessary to check this out ASAP. That much heat could really start to damage the engine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
did the cali bikes come with cats ? like the crotch rockets in cali do ? if so is it possible your bike in a cali bike? seen a clogged cat make headers glow on cars

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
These bikes come lean from the factory as a way of getting around emissions laws ... But red hot headers is WAAAAY more lean than normal. Sounds like an ECM issue and it is definitely necessary to check this out ASAP. That much heat could really start to damage the engine.
:them: They are tuned on the lean side (factory) but do not run so lean as to be trouble. Glowing pipes are big trouble, something is outta whack. Where and who did you buy it from? I would go right back to them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I found the problem. I took my airbox cover off and to my suprise, a mouse made a nest in there. He had 2 inches of bird seed in there as well. the nest was wrapped around about a 1/3 of the filter. I took out the plugs and checked them and they looked good as well. next was the airbox cover which I took off and it seems to run cooler and better. I will monitor it for a week, then look at getting a thundermax and a outlaw indy!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I am worried as I wanted to put a pipe and a tuner on it. Now I dont know if I want to mess with it until I get this figured out.
best thing you could do for your bike would be to add a tuner
both my 02 and 08 glow red when viewed in a dark garage when running.that is normal.
Not normal in the USA bikes

·
Registered
108 Posts
As stated above, they run lean from the factory. I noticed the rear header glowing one night when I got home in the garage. lights off. just a faint glow, but when i reved it a few times it got brighter. I'm guessing a tumer would correct the lean condition. i solve dmine with a new exhaust and controller with filter. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts